Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driver's Wing Mirror Electrical Questions...

Hello chaps (and chapesses),

I got my IS250 a few weeks ago (thanks to all who commented in that thread!) and it's fine except for the driver's side mirror.

The mirror itself is easily movable by hand and doesn't move on it's own when the car vibrates or goes over bumps, etc but it doesn't move via the buttons in the door, neither does it seem to heat up when the rear screen & mirrors de-mister button is pressed.  There's no motor noise coming from it that I can hear so it's like the mirror's motor and heater isn't getting power.  The passenger mirror works fine for everything.

What the wing mirror DOES do is fold-in via the fold-in/retract button and this works so well that if my window is down it folds all the way into the car to say hello, which is nice.  😁  If I have my window up the mirror housing taps the glass and stops.  It folds back out at the touch of the button, but the way it moves back out sort of shows that it's retracted too far, but it reaches the correct position and stops like it should anyway.

Does the mirror retract function have it's own feed?  Do the mirror heater and motor share a circuit?  I've very briefly seen a diagram showing a connector to the door gubbins, so do all three share the same loom connector and is it inside the door or behind the footwell panel?  Is the over-retracting related to the lack of power to the mirror functions?

Has anyone experienced this before and what was the fix?  Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Is200newbie says he has a spare motor if your turns out to be faulty, 

The effort is much appreciated man, but do you think he still has one?  😁

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Also relay for heated mirrors is in unusual place...

Daft place to put it, but I'm sure it has something to do with getting a feed from the rear heated screen to kick the mirrors on.  That does both mirrors though, doesn't it?  

I have whole spare mirror, less glass (because it was broken). As I the passenger door mirror works, I doubt it is fuse (but there might be separate ones). Even if relay is bad for heater it should not affect the mirror controls, as well if mirror taps the glass I reckon it is broken mechanically as well, that should not happen. Anyway if you need spare mirror let me know.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 6:17 PM, Linas.P said:

I have whole spare mirror, less glass (because it was broken). As I the passenger door mirror works, I doubt it is fuse (but there might be separate ones). Even if relay is bad for heater it should not affect the mirror controls, as well if mirror taps the glass I reckon it is broken mechanically as well, that should not happen. Anyway if you need spare mirror let me know.

Thank you 😃

One thing that I forgot to add in my initial post (and I can't seem to edit it now?) is that the puddle light in that wing mirror also doesn't work.  I didn't even know I had puddle lights until I'd owned the car for two weeks and walked up to the passenger side in the dark!  Haha!

So, I suspect that all of these electrical contraptions share a power feed (or connector) and that's disconnected/broken....OR...someone's annihilated the mirror at some point and replaced it with a knackered/empty one...?

Or simply not connected/properly connected the mirror, or replaced only the housing whereas the mirror inner parts/loom was damaged as well. When I had broken mirror I only replaced the glass and outer shell as well. Could not be bothered to split entire door... at least in my case everything works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mauler said:

Thank you 😃

One thing that I forgot to add in my initial post (and I can't seem to edit it now?) is that the puddle light in that wing mirror also doesn't work.  I didn't even know I had puddle lights until I'd owned the car for two weeks and walked up to the passenger side in the dark!  Haha!

So, I suspect that all of these electrical contraptions share a power feed (or connector) and that's disconnected/broken....OR...someone's annihilated the mirror at some point and replaced it with a knackered/empty one...?

If theres no obvious fault that you can find, you might want to check the space under the window control switches (take the unit out) to see if it has ever been fitted with whats called a PO-40 unit which allowed the mirrors to automatically close when the car was locked. You would see a box marked up as such if you removed the control panel.

Its possible, if its fitted, that some wires may be loose or the unit is faulty. Depends how it was installed.

Worth a check if all else fails. The box is, from what I can remember, just a bit smaller than a cigarette box and black in colour.

• Like 1

Should be apparent as soon as you remove drivers switch panel ( which is simply a push fit ) if there is any aftermarket kit in there!

A5D0D6D2-DD54-4FA7-A8FD-FB14C2B14436.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Or simply not connected/properly connected the mirror, or replaced only the housing whereas the mirror inner parts/loom was damaged as well. When I had broken mirror I only replaced the glass and outer shell as well. Could not be bothered to split entire door... at least in my case everything works.

6 hours ago, Texas said:

Should be apparent as soon as you remove drivers switch panel ( which is simply a push fit ) if there is any aftermarket kit in there!

A5D0D6D2-DD54-4FA7-A8FD-FB14C2B14436.png

Awesome, thanks chaps!  Are there any secrets to things to know when removing door trim?  The screws are obvious and it's the usual "Leaver clips away but be careful"?

3 minutes ago, normski2 said:

If you want to know how to remove the door card look here

This may give you some pointers if you are looking at removing the mirror itself... from the US forum

Link

Thanks n2!  😀

I'm sure I've taken interior panels off to get to gubbins on every car I've owned but none were as nice as the Lexus so I don't want to damage anything by misadventure...

You don't need to remove the door card to see if the po-40 is installed as you should see it (if one is fitted) below the electric window switch control panel. Removing this panel will save you time and a whole lot of effort. I cant remember how the switch panel comes off - pretty sure it is levered out but cant remember (getting too old)

Maybe someone can shed some light - its only a 5 minute job to check so better to do this than the whole door card to be honest .... just saying

• Like 1