Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx350 Steering,Tilt /in-out motor, Replace or Repair ?

HI,  

Anyone ever changed the in/out drive motor on the telescopic steering on an RX350 06'. Seem lots of info/posts online about other models (LS mainly ) but no RX info. 

Can it be done on an RX. ?          Tilt up/down working fine, retracting no problem but the outward extension is very laboured.... steering wheel needs a gentle pull while operating the outward motion. 

Ive stripped off the plastic steering housing and cleaned and lubed the screwed drive rod top and bottom ends. (I've did this regularly over the last 5 to 6 yrs as it grumbled at me every so often, this cured the grumble and returned normal operation). I read somewhere that the carbon brushes can need cleaning and this reportedly has cured similar probs on the LS set up.

Is this do-able on the RX set up ?  The motor seems to be lacking the torque to extend the steering but is adequate to withdraw the column. 

Any info welcomed. 

cheers 

G

20 hours ago, Samui10 said:

Anyone ever changed the in/out drive motor on the telescopic steering on an RX350 06'

20 hours ago, Samui10 said:

Is this do-able on the RX set up ?  The motor seems to be lacking the torque to extend the steering but is adequate to withdraw the column. 

I suppose almost anything is doable as long as you can get the parts, and this is where you may have problems because there are a few complete steering columns on eBay but no individual motors as far as I can tell.

However, all is not lost as you may be able to repair your own existing motor. I know it's not the same car but this guy managed it on a Toyota Land Cruiser and I'm sure the principle will be the same:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-telescoping-column-motor-removal-repair.610648/

• Like 1

Cheers Herbie,  This looks pretty helpful.  

You're right in that its sold as part of a larger complete unit rather than just a motor and gear interface.  Quoted £300 ish Inc. import tax from Amayama who i've used before. 

I plan to clean and flush the screwed rod and bushings as best i can, just to be sure its not just really gunked up before i go to the dragging everything apart stages... As i mentioned, with a little outward pressure on the steering wheel i can draw it outwards, so i do have moment, and cant hear any plastic crunching from around the little gear chamber.

Hopefully,  If i manage to regain quiet and free movement after a good clean and degrease, i'll lub it with white lithium grease and keep an eye on it.  

Fingers crossed for a cheap fix..... hey ho !! 

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated ...

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links