Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav on start up problems

Hello guys. 

My is250 se model 

My satnav on start up has a habit of making a clicking noise on start up. 

When this happens it will probably say eject dvd and that all I get. 

If I turn off the car and start it again it may start up as normal and it just seems to be the disc reader clicking. 

I have removed the disc and cleaned with a disc cleaner and sometimes it works well for days. 

Has anyone had this problem and how did they fix with out replacement of the satnav unit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, brunskill43 said:

Hello guys. 

My is250 se model 

My satnav on start up has a habit of making a clicking noise on start up. 

When this happens it will probably say eject dvd and that all I get. 

If I turn off the car and start it again it may start up as normal and it just seems to be the disc reader clicking. 

I have removed the disc and cleaned with a disc cleaner and sometimes it works well for days. 

Has anyone had this problem and how did they fix with out replacement of the satnav unit. 

Hello! I had same problem 2 years ago and for me helped replacing sat nav drive. I also tried couple dvds and one day it just stopped working and I had to replace drive.

I have just changed my satnav drive and all works well but my gps says i live in the next road to were i live.

My old unit started making a clicking noise on start up hence i got a new unit. 

Were is tthe gps antanna located if anybody knows.

The unit itself works perfectly.

The GPS antenna is located under the dash in the centre, close to the windscreen. I don't believe that is an issue otherwise you wouldn't have got any position. You may just be in a poor reception area - drive around for a bit and see if it gets any better.

This can happen if the GPS antenna cable is not connected to the rear of the unit. It is a single cable and is very easy to omit when reconnecting everything at the rear.

Don't ask me how I know!!

Dec.

Thanks for your input guys and to take the stereo out is a real pain after just putting it all back.

I had an idea that something had come adrift so will sort it when i have free patience to take it all apart again 

Question regarding my dash round the stereo unit.my dash is all marked around the unit were been removed over the years for what ever reason and looks very untidy and scruffy.

Does anybody no how to fix with being rubber foam based and damaged so easy.sandpaper dont work but my next solution was a dash trim beading.

Any ideas are most welcome.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:38 PM, brunskill43 said:

Thanks for your input guys and to take the stereo out is a real pain after just putting it all back.

I had an idea that something had come adrift so will sort it when i have free patience to take it all apart again 

Question regarding my dash round the stereo unit.my dash is all marked around the unit were been removed over the years for what ever reason and looks very untidy and scruffy.

Does anybody no how to fix with being rubber foam based and damaged so easy.sandpaper dont work but my next solution was a dash trim beading.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Update on my satnav problem. 

My unit says the GPS  system is there but not 100% as on and off. 

My direction symbol when I drive in my satnav screen does not move and after a quick check behind the stereo all the wires and plugs are all in place. 

My start point is correct but does not move when I drive but the satnav screen does say I have moved  location but the drive symbol is still at the start location. 

Why does my drive symbol not move but the screen location does but needs to play catch up. 

The satnav location is run by the GPS antenna but what makes the drive symbol move. Anyone come across this before and could there be a wire come loose or something I'm missing. 

You should go into the diagnostics mode > Menu > Navigation > GPS information and make sure you are tracking 5 or 6 satellites. Check the vehicle sensors. Clear any error codes. Turn off the ignition to exit diagnostics mode, or press and hold the DISP button for 5 seconds.

If there is a calibrate option in the normal menus (not diagnostics mode) then press that too.

315513628_ScreenShot2019-05-06at09_11_10.thumb.png.4bfb5da60356cb15273901340dbbf11a.png

Thanks for the input and just to add information to my problem I have a pink and red wire been cut and the red is earthed to the side of the stereo. 

After finding this I have since found that this is because some body in the past wanted to drive and play dvd on the move. 

The red earth is for the handbrake sensor to buy pass. 

After finding this out and looking at my wiring I decided to replace the pink and red to original setting and still my satnav location don't move. 

May have some relevants may not. 

Just tried the info button test and got nothing just after a few seconds goes back to the satnav screen. 

Done the second test never worked either but look at the pictures I was driving when I took them and the driver marker does move when I stop. 

The problem seems to be my satnav is very slow and only moves when I am away from my first location but only catches up when I stop. 

I move off again and the marker stays at my last location. 

Would It be a GPS fault even tho my screen says I have GPS.. Just puzzling to me as I have changed my satnav unit as my last on packed up. 

Before it packed up it was also in the wrong location but miles away from my home. 

New unit starts in correct position just does not move. 

IMG_20190506_104108.jpg

IMG_20190506_103835.jpg

18 minutes ago, brunskill43 said:

Just tried the info button test and got nothing just after a few seconds goes back to the satnav screen. 

you have to time it right. The follow video shows it - a different Lexus but same procedure.

Certainly looks like you are picking up multiple satellites, 7 giving you position information, so the antenna is good.

Not sure why you have an error on the audio system.

You should check the Vehicle Sensors within the Navigation Check screen - drive the car and make sure the speed looks accurate.

OK will do that and report back but think I may have found my problem without taking my stereo back out yet. 

I noticed that the white wire was cut and the pink wire was cut for the dvd mod. 

Since I new nothing about why they were cut I put the pink back to pink and the red to red but left the white wire off due to not nowing its location but found this thread to bring a little light to my problem. 

This may explain why I have a check on my audio menu as it's called the (vss) 

Vehicle speed sensor as Colinbarber pointed out to me. 

Great when people do homework and no what they are talking about. 👍

IMG_20190506_191543.jpg

Hello guys. 

Finally got round to removing my stereo and sorting my satnav problem out. 

My problem was that previous owner done the satnav mod so he could drive and watch dvd on the move. 

I finally connected the white wire the red and pink wire all back to factory wire loom and my satnav works a treat now. 

Just like to thank the other members for there input and information.