Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys new to the forum here.

I'm looking for advice about buying a 2008 lexus 460/600h fory chauffeur business. I'm sick of the german unreliability of second hand luxury cars. Currently running a w212 e250 power steering lock packed in  today @150000km 

Any ways I do approx 400000km per annum and am contemplating a ls or a chrysler 300 crd..

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Thanks

The older Chrysler 300 was using the w210 chassis, a Mercedes engine and the 722.6 w210 transmission with the same issues. Add electrical gremlins from Chrysler. In my opinion these components won't age well, so if you're already starting at 10 years it will be a gamble.

The LS fares much better in age as well as mileage so a safer bet. More executive feeling than the Chrysler.

400k kms/year - maths gone wrong somewhere? Otherwise I'd think Lexus even more. 

• Like 1

Hi. I would go for the reliability and luxury of the Lexus any day. You won’t be disappointed as long as it’s been fully serviced.
I wouldn’t go for a Chrysler.. looks like rubbish .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

IMHO electrics in most modern cars is an issue, no matter the marque other than Lexus who seem to focus on getting that right as much as the mechanics.

I have heard the 300 is a poor mans Bentley, and assume just like Bentley after a bit of wear and rear the electrics will be the pain.

Also I think the 300 looks like a proper pimps car, or TOWIE Taxi (but that is just my opinion)

• Like 1

How dare you put Lexus LS and Chrysler 300CRD in the same sentence!? 😊

Lexus any time. Peerless reliability and comfort, understated looks (in comparison with US brashness), and a petrol/hybrid instead of a noisy diesel. Your petrol bill *may* be higher with the Lexus... but it will not be spending time in the garage between services!

From traveling regularly to the US, I can assure you that discerning Americans spend their money on Lexus cars rather than Chryslers...

• Like 1

Thanks guys sorry for the typo approx 30k to 40k per annum.

The reason why I was contemplating the 300 I because it's used her in ireland also asa wedding car I'm not sure i would get many wedding bookings in a 2008 lexus ls460 

Also in choosing the 460 as the 600h boot is too small.

13 hours ago, Dillons said:

not sure i would get many wedding bookings in a 2008 lexus ls460 

That does make sense, and I guess most of your clients want a bit of the bling factor which the Lexus does not have in the mind of the general public. 

As a business decision it would have to be the 300 as the client's perception is the important thing.

I would add, that the first time I got into a 460 was as a passenger, it was a cold blow and a rainy night (as Planxty sang in 1974), I knew the car was a luxury barge and thought I had got into the back of some Merc. Was shocked to be told it was a Lexus.  So maybe having clients with bad eye sight and weddings on foul weather days means you could get away with a 460.

I have 2 friends who both Chauffeur for a living.
One works for himself and runs a 2016 Merc S350CDI and loves it. Over 100k miles and no issues so far, but expensive to buy as you can imagine.
The other is employed by a multi-millionaire and he gets to drive a variety of cars.
He prefers the 2015 Lexus LS600HL as he says it is the quietest and easiest to drive smoothly apart from the Rolls Phantom (which he dislikes as it is "****ing enormous" and he is terrified of scratching it <LOL>).

If you can find a white LS then no reason why it couldn't be used as a wedding car.
It's not as in-your-face as the 300 but I guess it depends on what your customers are looking for.
The rear seat in the LS is uber-luxury with recline, massage, heated/cooled seats, AC controls, audio controls, TV in some, drinks cooler in some.
The rear seat in the 300 is just a rear seat.

I've a mate in Dublin that did a bit of private hire and said to be honest his clients very rarely cared what the car was as long as it was comfortable and quiet - most preferring to blend in than stand out. His Black LS 430 was perfect for that especially in the reliability stakes (both the S Class Merc and subsequent Audi A8's he drove spent more time in the garage than out of it) but what stopped it for him was the almost 1900 Euro's a year car tax plus rising fuel and  insurance costs (not to mention the amount of illegal ubers kicking about)  but to answer your question the Lexus over the 300c anyday (although I dare say if you ask the same question on a 300c forum you will get the opposite answer) 😂

2 hours ago, BMCWP said:

I've a mate in Dublin that did a bit of private hire and said to be honest his clients very rarely cared what the car was as long as it was comfortable and quiet - most preferring to blend in than stand out. His Black LS 430 was perfect for that especially in the reliability stakes (both the S Class Merc and subsequent Audi A8's he drove spent more time in the garage than out of it) but what stopped it for him was the almost 1900 Euro's a year car tax plus rising fuel and  insurance costs (not to mention the amount of illegal ubers kicking about)  but to answer your question the Lexus over the 300c anyday (although I dare say if you ask the same question on a 300c forum you will get the opposite answer) 😂

He should have registered it as a limo, 80-100 euro l think.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm still not decided on the lexus or the 300 but I think the ls with rear package and cream leather and in silver would be a splendid car for weddings and airport chauffeur work. 

The 300s do look nice especially the second gen and they are popular with chauffeurs in ireland but they are equally as popular with mechanics which I've had enough of with second hand German land yachts. 

Any idea of fuel costs for a 2007/8 Ls 600h/460?

Would it really make much difference in fuel saving with the hybrid? I suppose been stuck in traffic alot it actually would!🤔

Decision decisions 

Any more advice on this topic would appreciated 

Thankyou guys