Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys , we’ll ive sorted prob with top hose collapsing , i tried.a new radiator cap and it didn’t really help , so then on inspecting a few of the other pipes I found the small one from rad to expansion tank was solid on the bottom elbow , cleaned it out sorted no more top hose collapsing😁,  .i have a question , at what temp should the fans come on, I’ve noticed that they come on when I turn ignition key to just off the start position on ignition switch or momentarily when I switch engine off ,but I never here them running even after a motorway trip and then sitting in traffic , any ideas 

No idea to be honest, but why are you bothered? Even if someone put a numerical value on it (say for example 95oC) your temperature gauge isn't calibrated numerically so how would you know when they should be on or off?

As long as the temperature gauge is in the 'normal' position then everything's working as it should, whether you can hear the fans or not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

It’s just I was out in my other car and they come on regularly, but in the rx I only hear them when I start it up

Better sound insulation in the RX?

The basic fan is pretty quiet, so you won't be able to tell even when it is running. There's an additional effort made for cooling the condenser, or when stuck in traffic during hot days. That fan is like an airplane revving up and you won't miss that. I say extra effort since I'm not sure whether it's the same fan (with a magnetic control for speed) or separate units.

But this extra fan is seldom on. It was a good few days after getting my RX that it first came on. Gave me a scare. But then would come on more regularly because the weather had turned quite hot (yep, that period last year).

In all this the temp gauge never moved from it's favourite position midway on the scale so I never gave it any concern.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

@Mylexrx if you turn the AC on while idling the fan should come on.

The better thing is never turn your AC off - these cars have climate control so you just set the cabin temp to what you want and the car does the rest.

The main reason for keeping the AC on though is that the gas/oil keeps the seals supple so they won't dry out and cause leaks.