Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Garage says worn injectors?

Clive L

Hi Everyone, 

I bought a 2008 IS220D last November as my previous car let me down. Very clean car,  was very looked after, 160,000 KM on the clock. 

Everything was fine until a few weeks into ownership it went into limp mode, a bit of googling and found this site where everyone mentioned the EGR valve.  

Got it to the garage,  all cleaned, back to normal, happy days..

Then in February I started to notice diesel fumes in the cockpit. Looked under the bonnet, removed the plastic/rubber engine cover that was there and discovered one of the injectors seemed to be leaking and blowing exhaust fumes upwards, as confirmed by oily diesel on the underneath of the engine cover.  but more googling on this site and thought, ah seems to be an injector seal gone, could have been worse.

I left it into a local garage in Dublin that I have never dealt with before, mechanic says yes sure we will have a look at it for you,  do you want me to send off the injectors to have them tested for you too, just to make sure?  Ok I said.  Don't worry, the mechanic says,  I will call you before we carry out any expensive work.

He had the car from 8 am to 4 pm that day when I get the phone call. I've bad news,  the injectors are worn and they will have to be replaced, and they are expensive, nearly €400 each...

Come down and have a look at the injectors before they go back in the car he says and I will explain. I'm worried where I will get this kind of money at short notice..

i'm kinda in shock and more worried about finding the money when he shows me the injectors, feel the outside he says, I feel it, I can feel a little flat spot on the outside of the injector body, he says its probably been leaking for a long time and has been wearing the injector... I nod glumly.. still wondering where I will find the money..

Put them back in and I will call you when I find the money I say,  he does, fitting new seals in the process, charged me €300 for the job.

Now the car is driving fine for the last 2 months, no leaks, i've found the money but now i'm thinking things don't add up, how can gasses remove metal from an injector body?? and the wear is on the OUTSIDE of the injector, surely the inside of the injector is what counts, where the fuel is pumped..

Im afraid this guy is trying to scam me, ive never dealt with him before, is he just trying to get me to pay for new injectors that I dont need?  local garage this, not a Lexus dealership.

Has anyone heard of this? can I get some opinions, I have the money but im not gonna blow it on parts I dont need. 

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links