Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2019 RAV4 Hybrid Engine and NX300h

As most of you have now seen, the new RAV4 has a newer, more powerful and efficient propulsion system than the NX. We all know that the biggest criticisms of the NX are it being under powered and poor on fuel economy. So why the hell have Lexus not yet upgraded the NX with this new propulsion system, given that Lexus are charging more for the NX and are supposed to improve on almost everything over their Toyota counterparts.

Please can someone (Lexus ideally) explain this madness to us NX owners...

One assumes they're waiting for an all new NX in a couple of years. I don't think this is anything that new - isn't the CT based on the previous model Prius? 

I haven't looked at a new RAV4 in the flesh myself, but in the other thread discussing it a member who has test driven one says it is much noisier than the NX and that the interior isn't as nice.

So, you pay your money and choose. 5 year warranty and better economy, or a posher interior and a nicer looking car. For what its worth, I don't consider the current NX to be underpowered either. Certainly it is more than fast enough for me...

• Like 1

I've no doubt the RAV4 is inferior in every other way, so the dealership tells me, plasticky and noisy. The NX is a very nice drive, looks fantastic and lovely interior caked in leather, but it's just so frustrating that a lesser vehicle that the NX is based on has better performance and fuel economy than it's so called luxury counterpart. Quite insulting to Lexus customers who are paying a massive premium over the RAV4.

Also, both RAV4 and NX are perfect for plug-in versions, I would upgrade tomorrow if they bring those out. Again, another frustrating decision by Lexus/Toyota, and don't get me started on lack of Android auto and apple car play. Come on Lexus, please raise your game and get with the times!!!

2 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

As most of you have now seen, the new RAV4 has a newer, more powerful and efficient propulsion system than the NX. We all know that the biggest criticisms of the NX are it being under powered and poor on fuel economy. So why the hell have Lexus not yet upgraded the NX with this new propulsion system, given that Lexus are charging more for the NX and are supposed to improve on almost everything over their Toyota counterparts.

Please can someone (Lexus ideally) explain this madness to us NX owners...

Because the NX is based on the previous RAV4 and not the current RAV4. Additionally, it doesn't make financial sense to put a new engine in a vehicle thats going to be replaced in a year. The new NX is literally just around the corner and will be on the updated chassis and most likely feature the RAV4 engine. 

19 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Because the NX is based on the previous RAV4 and not the current RAV4. Additionally, it doesn't make financial sense to put a new engine in a vehicle thats going to be replaced in a year. The new NX is literally just around the corner and will be on the updated chassis and most likely feature the RAV4 engine. 

Makes sense, but I I'm just surprised they haven't already put the new RAV4 engine into the 2019 NX, seeing as they're both out at relatively the same time, as I'm sure Lexus will lose some sales based on this decision. I have heard (through dealerships and other sources) that the engines are not exactly identical, and Lexus will take Toyota engines and make them more robust and refined, which is why it takes longer for newer Toyota propulsion systems to find their way into Lexus vehicles.

Being Japanese, Toyota and Lexus are both extremely conservative companies and generally don't make decisions unless they're ~90% they'll pay off in terms of profit. This is the line I'm always fed at the dealership on why they're yet to bring out plug-in versions of their vehicles. However, given that most other manufactures are now bringing out plug-in versions of their SUVs, I'd say it's a safe bet and they should just get on with it as there is clearly big demand for it.

2 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

Makes sense, but I I'm just surprised they haven't already put the new RAV4 engine into the 2019 NX

I'm sure it will fit but the new RAV is built on a new chassis which the new NX will get. Putting the new engine and transmission into the old NX isn't that straightforward which unfortunately means the NX lags behind. But not just in powertrain, in chassis performance, suspension, all of the tech etc. etc.

Any plug in Lexus will be a success if it can do 30 miles +...... unfortunately you may have to wait 3 to 5 years before that becomes reality..... and that is the real shame, because sales will double once those versions become available

I always ask at the dealerships about when the plug-ins are coming. I believe they know more than they let on, and sometimes they let slip in the want to keep loyal customers intrigued. I was told that they have the plug-in variants ready to go and that they're just waiting for the right time to release them. The Prius Prime was the first market tester for plug-ins, but it hasn't sold well at all so they're holding back for now. Next 3-5 years was also what was hinted at, if they believe the infrastructure is ready.

However, this could all be total crap and just a way to keep a customer engaged, but we can live and hope... One thing is for sure, when comparing Lexus now with other luxury brands, they're rapidly falling behind the competition in terms in hybrid technology and infotainment systems (the reviews say it all), and I'm already thinking that unless things change soon, then my current Lexus will sadly be my last.

• Like 1

Hi, all infotainment systems take a while to adjust to. A lot depends on the settings menu. You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse or joystick. I always find its great to use once it’s changed to its least sensitive setting. You just have to mess around with it.
I am keeping my RX 450 probably 10 years, no need to change it. Lovely car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links