Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello

I've got an LPG converted 2003 pre Face-lift LS430 with 178k miles on it.

Changed spark plugs last week. The mechanic noticed small cracks on a few coils. 

Since a few days now I've noticed the car doesn't start first time. A crank or 2 does gets it going. 

No lights on dash. Recently serviced it also. 

I feel that this is the start of some issue that I'd like to resolve before it gets bad. 

I'm sure it's not the spark plugs. What else can it be.? 

Fuel pump? 

Fuel filter? 

Injectors? 

Please help. 

Thanks 

Plug in an ODB2 reader and see if there are any error codes. They don't always result in a warning on the dash.
If it starts after a few cranks and runs fine from then on, then most likely to be fuel pump issues or a clogged fuel filter.

4 hours ago, Abid221 said:

The mechanic noticed small cracks on a few coils.

There's your answer ^^^^^^^

If I remember correctly the high voltage side of the coil gives out about 20kV, which can 'track' along any hairline cracks rather than going where it should be, ie, to the centre electrode of the spark plug. Even if some juice does make it to the centre electrode its effectiveness will be greatly reduced if there's any tracking at all going on.

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

There's your answer ^^^^^^^

If I remember correctly the high voltage side of the coil gives out about 20kV, which can 'track' along any hairline cracks rather than going where it should be, ie, to the centre electrode of the spark plug. Even if some juice does make it to the centre electrode its effectiveness will be greatly reduced if there's any tracking at all going on.

Take off the engine cover and then get someone to start it in the dark, have a look for electrical discharge around the coil packs confirming tracking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links