Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Ultra Low Emission Zones are you ready? - check your car!

Values of older Hybrid Vehicles are now set to soar as the new Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge is introduced in London!

The new charge is now in effect & comes on top of the existing Congestion Charge so it will cost £11-50p Congestion Charge plus £12-50p ULEZ charge making £24-00p!! just to take a non compliant vehicle into central London!!

The yearly charge based on a 5 day working week with 4 weeks holiday already deducted is a whopping £5,760!!!!

The new ULEZ zone is expanding by 2021 to include a massive area encompassing the North & South Circular Roads.

Birmingham, Derby & Newcastle are also set to introduce similar charges.

The good news is the most popular older Hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic IMA, Lexus GS450h ( yes even this superb luxury 3.5L cruiser ) are already Ultra Low Emission Vehicles ( ULEV's) so the owners of these vehicles are smiling all the way to the Bank now!!

If you would like to check if you will have to pay the new ULEZ charge, enter your registration number into the tfl website via this link:- https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896

Suddenly renewing the Hybrid Battery in your old car makes perfect sense. 

• Like 3

Not only hybrids, most of petrol cars meets that as well e.g. 2005 IS250.

The additional charge mostly affected diesel car, which is kind of fair, but kind of not in the same time.

• Like 1

Not that I am likely to go into London any time soon seeing Richards post prompted me to check my own car (GS450H). The car is exempt from the extra charge. Reading further I found that being a disabled badge holder I can register 2 cars for exemption from both charges that I may travel in for £10 for three years "even if I do not drive!". The exemption running along the same eligibility dates of the blue badge. 

So thank you Richard for the timely reminder particularly as the scheme is likely coming to Birmingham in the not to distant future.

I have also found that for blue badge holders that register the M6 toll is also free to use. The only tolls exemptions that I had found, and used were the toll bridges across the Severn estuary, but these tolls have now been removed.  

John.

• Like 1