Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 SLOW FILLING OF PETROL

Mick 62

Hii LOC members, i'm fairly new to the club but owned my LS400 for around 3 yrs now. Its a MK4 1998 in good condition with a few age related marks etc. but runs well at just over 142,000 miles covered. It's a great cruising car and i love the build quality, really good. I do find myself with an issue of late thought when i'm refulling at the petrol garage, it takes ages! I end up just trickling it in slowly or the pump cuts out. I believe there's a separate vent line back from the tank to the refil nozzel inlet it's self. Could this be blocked? If so how woiuld i clear that out? Or is it some thing else.If anyone can shine some light on this it would be great ! Thanks Mike.

sounds like you might have some sort of air lock in there somewhere. I sometimes suffered the same issues and just rocked the car gently to and fro ........  whether that made any difference i know not. I haven't had the problem for years

Best of luck with it

Malc

• Like 1

There is a breather pipe from the tank to the filler pipe which vents air from the tank when filling up which may be blocked. Either that or there’s a blockage in the filler pipe. Have you tried pushing a piece of plastic tube down the filler to see if there is an obstruction?

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, i did try the garden hose down the filler pipe as you kindly suggested. There's a small flap under the filler cap, so pushed through that, them 18" downthe tube there's what seems like another flap, so pushed through that and into the tank i would imagine. I didn't go far beyond this second flap as it was digging into the pipe as i pulled it back again and trying to prevernt the withdrawl.Didn't seem to be a blockage . I assume that the rising head of fuel as you are filling must open this bottom flap and let petrol into tank? Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Malc,

At my next fill-up I only put the nozzle half in and at a slight angle pulled the trigger and the petrol flowed in full tilt, no probs! This is kinda what John suggested on his reply.

Thanks  Malc for your suggestion and interest in my issue resolution!

Cheers

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

On my 430 I have to hold the nozzle at a bit of an angle. I think the first anti-siphon section causes too much back pressure and can trigger the nozzles cut-off.
Once you find the position that works for you , just remember it.
I had the same problem with my 2 Honda Legends and my 2 Vauxhall Carltons, but the Merc S-Class diesel was fine.