Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Long Delivery Dates on New ES

olliesgrandad

27 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I've been trying to find webcams all along the route....sad but true!

I've spoken to my dealership and they said they will try to expedite it but no promises......so frustratingly close but I suspect no cigar, at least until I return from holiday mid July.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, another delay now :wallbash:

Apparently the car is in the dealership but has a block on it (meaning they can't register it or finalise any paperwork etc.) due to a parts recall action being required for the brake boosters? They claim this is a wide spread recall affecting many Toyota/Lexus models including the new RAV4 and the ES. Has anyone else heard this or been affected by it?

Anyway, the part is supposedly in (I don't believe them anymore) but by the time it's fitted and they register the car and issue the released paperwork it will be next week before i get my car. Bearing in mind I was originally promised it for when my Mercedes went back in early May, then June, then early July and now.....

I am very disappointed with Lexus over this as they have broken several promises and subjected me to continuous poor to non existent communication over all this, often with me having to persist in calling them and harassing them for updates. Not good enough and I expected better from a supposedly customer focused organisation like Lexus :thumbdown:

If I had another option, within budget and meeting the BIK % tax parameters I'd cancel and get something else out of principal but it's too late now and I'd only be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Still extremely annoying though. :furious:

I've just spoken to the UK Lexus recall department but they can't advise without a reg or chassis number, which I don't have yet!

They advised I speak to the customer services team who may be able to help.

Surely unless the recall was issued after the car left the factory and the 'Toledo' set sail the part would be replaced in the factory rather than building it with a known faulty part and waiting until it got to the UK to fix it?

Something is not quiet right about this....:sneaky2::g:

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

If I had another option, within budget and meeting the BIK % tax parameters I'd cancel and get something else out of principal but it's too late now and I'd only be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Depending on what your requirements are...

Tesla Model 3 ordered now should be delivered some time in September. 0% BIK from April 20, 1% in 21 and 2% in 22. 

7 minutes ago, i-s said:

Depending on what your requirements are...

Tesla Model 3 ordered now should be delivered some time in September. 0% BIK from April 20, 1% in 21 and 2% in 22. 

Thanks but a full electric is no use to me as I do long trips and the range, charging time (hours not minutes) and charging infrastructure are simply not there yet for a company car user's requirements.

A plug in petrol/hybrid or standard petrol/hybrid are fine but not fully electric.

Also the 3 is too small and I've read bad things about build quality?

Neil.

Hence my saying depending on what your requirements are. If you're regularly in excess of 300 miles per day then I can see that. 

Build quality is much better than many would have people believe. Early cars were somewhat shonky (I've seen an awful one), but current Model 3s are very good: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a28008116/tesla-model-3-build-quality-bob-lutz/

Note that the author of that article is generally extremely critical of Tesla and was executive and board member at Ford, GM and Chrysler at various points. 

The model 3 has a similar wheelbase to the ES (ES is 5mm shorter), and a huge boot with fold-down seats. It has shorter overhangs. 

25 minutes ago, i-s said:

Hence my saying depending on what your requirements are. If you're regularly in excess of 300 miles per day then I can see that. 

Build quality is much better than many would have people believe. Early cars were somewhat shonky (I've seen an awful one), but current Model 3s are very good: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a28008116/tesla-model-3-build-quality-bob-lutz/

Note that the author of that article is generally extremely critical of Tesla and was executive and board member at Ford, GM and Chrysler at various points. 

The model 3 has a similar wheelbase to the ES (ES is 5mm shorter), and a huge boot with fold-down seats. It has shorter overhangs. 

Hmmm, I stand corrected on the build and size perhaps but the range/charging is an issue for me as I do trips of over 300 miles and even then i can't risk having nowhere to charge overnight if I stay away on business.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's too much faffing about for me personally. Once they can be charged in around 5 minutes and the infrastructure is more wide spread and common (i.e. in every filling station as an option alongside petrol/diesel/LPG etc.) then I would be interested.

Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. 

Charging for the Model 3 is better than any other EV currently on the market, but not necessarily as good as it needs to be for someone doing really big mileages like you are. 

On an Ionity CCS charger (currently being rolled out across the UK, stations currently active at Maidstone, Milton Keynes and Sunderland) the car can charge at 200kW peak - it will add 100 miles range in about 10 minutes on such a charger. When Supercharger V3 arrives in the UK then that drops to 7 minutes (250kW peak). Over a 500 mile journey you'll need 20-30 minutes of charging (My bladder and caffeine maintenance require similar). A number of hotels do offer destination charging, but it isn't as widespread as it needs to be. 

It's a matter of whether the convenience is worth £300 per month out of your own pocket on BIK. 

8 minutes ago, i-s said:

No problem. 

Charging for the Model 3 is better than any other EV currently on the market, but not necessarily as good as it needs to be for someone doing really big mileages like you are. 

On an Ionity CCS charger (currently being rolled out across the UK, stations currently active at Maidstone, Milton Keynes and Sunderland) the car can charge at 200kW peak - it will add 100 miles range in about 10 minutes on such a charger. When Supercharger V3 arrives in the UK then that drops to 7 minutes (250kW peak). Over a 500 mile journey you'll need 20-30 minutes of charging (My bladder and caffeine maintenance require similar). A number of hotels do offer destination charging, but it isn't as widespread as it needs to be. 

It's a matter of whether the convenience is worth £300 per month out of your own pocket on BIK. 

Ha yes, I confess that 0% BIK is a definite motivation but the first time I make a business trip an issue due to range/charging etc. I will invite huge criticism for my choice of car and for making it the companies problem!

Once those 10 or 7 minute charging points are as common as other fuels the range anxiety will disappear, for me anyway.

One thing though, I have heard that the fast charging is bad for the Battery if done on a regular basis?

A pretty extreme example of a heavily used/abused Tesla: https://www.tesloop.com/blog/2018/8/2/model-x-90d-300000-miles-in-two-years

This vehicle gets multiple rapid charge sessions per day. After 2 years and 300000 miles the Battery is at 87% capacity. That's basically worst-case-scenario. 

In the realistic 2-3 year lease you'd be looking at, and with more occasional rapid charging (ie you charge at home at night more slowly) then it's basically a non-issue. 

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

Ha yes, I confess that 0% BIK is a definite motivation but the first time I make a business trip an issue due to range/charging etc. I will invite huge criticism for my choice of car and for making it the companies problem!

Also, an FYI on the commercial side - the company may be keen to promote a progressive image on this. If the company is purchasing the car (rather than leasing) then the entire value can be written off against corporation tax in the first year (100% first year allowance). Company may also be forgiving of some degree of time creep because of the fuel cost savings.

14 minutes ago, i-s said:

Also, an FYI on the commercial side - the company may be keen to promote a progressive image on this. If the company is purchasing the car (rather than leasing) then the entire value can be written off against corporation tax in the first year (100% first year allowance). Company may also be forgiving of some degree of time creep because of the fuel cost savings.

Sooo...the company gets a free car?

No - Let's say they pay £40k (without VAT) for the car. They can then reduce their profits that are subject to tax by 100% of that. Those profits are taxed at 21%, so they can reduce their tax by 21% of £40k - £8400. 

When the car is sold at the end of its use as a company car, the value that it is sold for (let's say £20k) is then added back to their profits, but basically they can avoid paying 21% tax on the value of the depreciation of the car. 

Since most larger companies lease, rather than buy, cars it probably won't apply - it's usually smaller LTDs that this will apply to. 

42 minutes ago, i-s said:

No - Let's say they pay £40k (without VAT) for the car. They can then reduce their profits that are subject to tax by 100% of that. Those profits are taxed at 21%, so they can reduce their tax by 21% of £40k - £8400. 

When the car is sold at the end of its use as a company car, the value that it is sold for (let's say £20k) is then added back to their profits, but basically they can avoid paying 21% tax on the value of the depreciation of the car. 

Since most larger companies lease, rather than buy, cars it probably won't apply - it's usually smaller LTDs that this will apply to. 

Ah, OK thanks for explaining that, very interesting but we do usually lease ours.

I suppose if it were effectively a free car everyone would be doing it!

On 6/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, Sloth said:

Hmmmm, that does present a dilemma...or does it?

I've been offered a brand new Audi A6 S Line with technology pack (virtual cockpit etc.) within budget and for delivery within a few days, well in time for my holiday.

However, it's more %BIK on my company car tax, which makes approx £150 pm difference extra out of my pay each month, so not insignificant. I like the A6, it's a stunningly nice drive but I'm not prepared to pay £150 out my own pocket (effectively) for it.

I suppose it's better to go on holiday in a courtesy car (2019 CT180h with premium pack) than swap to the Audi and pay £150 per month more in tax just to get in it sooner!

You don’t want an Audi , or a BMW , Mercedes , VW , they are just so common , when I am  literally surrounded by them on the M25 I always ask , Why do people buy them , why do they all want the same ??

10 hours ago, Dealkent said:

You don’t want an Audi , or a BMW , Mercedes , VW , they are just so common , when I am  literally surrounded by them on the M25 I always ask , Why do people buy them , why do they all want the same ??

I once owned a 3 series BMW touring and yes it was black as well.. I do fly a lot professionally and on several occasions when coming back to the airport i found myself trying to open a black 3 series that wasnt mine! Airport parkinglots are literally swamped with them. The car never felt like it was mine. Sold it after 2 years and the shiny white IS300H Fsport was always the only one in the parking. Such a difference.   

26 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I once owned a 3 series BMW touring and yes it was black as well.. I do fly a lot professionally and on several occasions when coming back to the airport i found myself trying to open a black 3 series that wasnt mine! Airport parkinglots are literally swamped with them. The car never felt like it was mine. Sold it after 2 years and the shiny white IS300H Fsport was always the only one in the parking. Such a difference.   

You just hit the nail on the head Dutchie !

The minority are the best informed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, royoftherovers said:

You just hit the nail on the head Dutchie !

The minority are the best informed.

Had a black E60. Once forgot to note where I parked it. Found about 5 of the same in one section of Dundrum shopping centre car park.  

That said, there is another sonic titanium ES in my area and I've ended up driving behind it 3 times in 2 months. When I ordered mine in Feb, there were around 10 coming into Ireland available for purchase. And that was it for the year. Presume more on the boat were sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost_killer said:

So far, is the ES selling quite good in the UK then ? As doing better than the GS did ? I quite like the ES even the older ones that was not sold in Europe.

The first year allocation was 700 units based on previous GS sales.  For some reason the 700 ES units sold out pretty quickly.  Some customers got their cars in January (having ordered blind last October), some in March and the rest have either landed in Royal Portbury beginning of August or on one of the 4 car carrying ships due in between 16 and 23 August.  Mines on the Horizon Leader due into port on the 16 August.  It’s currently half way along the Red Sea.  I ordered on the 3 March.

C0DD5917-B01C-44F1-937F-AE3085A3037D.jpeg

LEXUS UK E MAILED ME AND ADVISED ME MY ES ARRIVED IN PORT ON 1ST AUGUST 2019.     ORDERED 26TH FEB 2019.

NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO SEND IT TO CARLISLE AND HOW LONG IT TAKES THE DEALER TO GET IT READY.  NOT SURE ALSO IF I SHOULD WAIT TILL 1ST SEPT NOW.     I USE A PERSONAL PLATE BUT I GUESS THE NEWER REG PLATE (69) MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE ADVANTAGE WHEN I'M READY TO SELL OR TRADE IN.    MY FIRST NEW CAR EVER.   I'VE ASKED MY DEALER NOT TO DO CERTAIN THINGS DURING PREP  LIKE HAVING ANYONE USE A MACHINE POLISHER ON THE PAINT IN THE BELIEF IT WILL MAKE IT LOOK PRETTY.     IT'S BLACK SO I DON'T WANT INEXPERIENCED VALETERS LEAVING SWIRL MARKS OR HOLGRAMS IN THE PAINTWORK.    

21 minutes ago, SH20 said:

LEXUS UK E MAILED ME AND ADVISED ME MY ES ARRIVED IN PORT ON 1ST AUGUST 2019.     ORDERED 26TH FEB 2019.

NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO SEND IT TO CARLISLE AND HOW LONG IT TAKES THE DEALER TO GET IT READY.  NOT SURE ALSO IF I SHOULD WAIT TILL 1ST SEPT NOW.     I USE A PERSONAL PLATE BUT I GUESS THE NEWER REG PLATE (69) MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE ADVANTAGE WHEN I'M READY TO SELL OR TRADE IN.    MY FIRST NEW CAR EVER.   I'VE ASKED MY DEALER NOT TO DO CERTAIN THINGS DURING PREP  LIKE HAVING ANYONE USE A MACHINE POLISHER ON THE PAINT IN THE BELIEF IT WILL MAKE IT LOOK PRETTY.     IT'S BLACK SO I DON'T WANT INEXPERIENCED VALETERS LEAVING SWIRL MARKS OR HOLGRAMS IN THE PAINTWORK.    

Normally, you’d be looking at 2 weeks from arrival at the port of entry to the centre receiving your car plus add 2-3 days for PDI, prep and handover so your car is going to be ready 2 weeks before the 69 plate is due.  Personally, I’d wait the extra 2 weeks and have a 69/2019 car rather than a 19/2019 one plus it gives the dealer a bit more time to fit the car in around his busy schedule leading up to the new registrations.  

Habu