Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk4 LS400 Electric Exhaust valve

FQ369

So I have been toying with the idea of allowing the silky smooth V8 to be heard more, but it almost feels criminal to be installing a louder exhaust or even remove the rear silencers when you see how much engineering Lexus has actually done to make this motor as quiet as it is. 

And then I stumbled upon these things on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-63mm-Electric-Remote-Control-Exhaust-System-Muffler-Valve-E-Cut-Out-Kits/323757660397?hash=item4b6175d8ed:g:ycMAAOSwsixcnfIA

So if this works as it says on the tin, this allows me to keep the superb waftability intact and switch to car meet exit mode at the press of a button. 

Obviously, I have many questions. First and foremost, is this too good to be true?

Has anyone else here had any experience with these things?

The paranoid side of me is saying that these things will never seal properly, the pipes will rot away in a year, but the actuator will break in six months that's if the wiring will make it beyond two weeks without shorting/frying. 

I guess I'm just a pessimist in dire need of some encouragement. HELP 🤔

The picture showing the motor wires just wrapped around the terminals and not soldered immediately raised concerns about build quality! Motor looks cheap and nasty plus what happens once the butterfly valve gets choked with carbon.

Plus it’s not simply plug and play..looks like cutting the OEM system to install and some stainless steel welding on the flange supplied.

Also bear in mind you need 2 kits which at the price may attract HMRC interest.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 5:30 PM, FQ369 said:

So I have been toying with the idea of allowing the silky smooth V8 to be heard more, but it almost feels criminal to be installing a louder exhaust or even remove the rear silencers when you see how much engineering Lexus has actually done to make this motor as quiet as it is. 

And then I stumbled upon these things on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-63mm-Electric-Remote-Control-Exhaust-System-Muffler-Valve-E-Cut-Out-Kits/323757660397?hash=item4b6175d8ed:g:ycMAAOSwsixcnfIA

So if this works as it says on the tin, this allows me to keep the superb waftability intact and switch to car meet exit mode at the press of a button. 

Obviously, I have many questions. First and foremost, is this too good to be true?

Has anyone else here had any experience with these things?

The paranoid side of me is saying that these things will never seal properly, the pipes will rot away in a year, but the actuator will break in six months that's if the wiring will make it beyond two weeks without shorting/frying. 

I guess I'm just a pessimist in dire need of some encouragement. HELP 🤔

Have you tried fitting this so far? 

I've got the same fears before fitting. 

I'd like to fit one of these opening valves on mine. 

It would be nice to have that convenience of making it loud when wanted and silent when needed. 

Well if it works, at least it can reduce noise pollution in populated areas.  I have had a couple of pretty noisy cars in the past but they were sports cars and more in character with noisy exhausts.  It would have been nice to have been able to mute the sound at times, as for long drives the sound became irritating, even in my old V8 Maserati.  Now prefer Lexus quietness or ICE unless at race circuits but each to his own.

I've seen them many times on US car makeover shows but they almost never seem to route the unsilenced exhaust out from under the car, which strikes me as weird.
I've never been a fan of LOUD exhausts and will often verbally abuse passing "Look At Me!" idiots, but it is nice to be able to hear the exhaust. So many modern cars and bikes are just too quiet. My GTR1400 was so quiet with the original silencer that it sounded like a sewing machine, so I fitted an aftermarket silencer but it was much too loud, even with the baffle in. So I replaced it with a different one that had a nice tone but wasn't silly loud.
On the older GTR1000, the only aftermarket silencers available for it are too loud, so they have stainless steel pan scourers jammed in behind the baffle to reduce the noise level. Works well and doesn't seem to affect the power.
On the LS, I like it's quietness.