Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are you concerned about having your RX stolen?

I was just thinking of getting a RX 450 next year , but I was thinking; you often hear the of BMW’s getting stolen and having their wheels ripped off et cetera and Audis getting carjacked, so I wondered , do you ever afraid of having your RX stolen ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dewillia said:

Scum will take what they want, I don't think an RX is in their hit list of flash fast motors

I agree. If I am leaving it somewhere like an airport for a few days, I use a steering wheel lock, but otherwise I don't worry unduly. 

• Like 2

Whilst I would not want my RX to be stolen it's not something that I worry about. After all it's well known that if a theif wants something that badly there is not a lot anybody can do about it. However I do try to make sure it's not my RX that they get.

57 minutes ago, ISJason said:

so I wondered , do you ever afraid of having your RX stolen

Not so much, no.

Certainly no more than any other luxury car but to put a bit of context on it, I keep the keys in a Faraday pouch and I also use a steering wheel lock, both of which I would use on any car so I'm not specifically bothered about having the RX stolen.

Don't get me wrong though. As much as I love my car and it's my pride and joy and yes, I do take those precautions, if any thug broke into the house looking for the keys and threatening violence, I would tie a red ribbon on them and present them nicely to said thug - not worth getting beaten up over a lump of metal that the insurance will replace.

And although it's not pretty, I stand by my assumption that prevention is better than cure and deterrent is the most important thing. Hopefully that bright yellow steering lock will make any ne'r-do-wells think it's not worth the hassle and move on to an easier target.

IMG_20190120_193557.thumb.jpg.86141655dec777b10b5f220d7a755c3a.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, PCM said:

Does anyone use/recommend, a steering lock that will fit an RX300/350?

Stop Lock pro is thatcham approved. Anything with a round style key can be opened with a pen lid.

Takes 5 minutes to break apparently and not without making the horn sound all the time. I use one in my RCF as a visual deterrent. Makes it 5 minutes harder to steal than the z4 down the road :)

Scum want to be gone in 60 seconds.

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Does anyone use/recommend, a steering lock that will fit an RX300/350?

The one in my picture above is a Stoplock Pro Elite (has a deeper curve than the Pro) but according to the application guide, any of the Stoplock range will fit the 300/350.

As Comedian says above, in reviews and tests, the Pro and Pro Elite took more than 5 minutes to defeat, using a selection of hammers, chisels and saws.

stoplock.thumb.png.c76be93764df6feb983de5056b50aa92.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

The one in my picture above is a Stoplock Pro Elite (has a deeper curve than the Pro)

Now you mention it.......That might be what I got due to the thick steering wheel.

Having read a number of reviews on steering wheel locks, very few are worth spending money on, and the ones that are seem to all do some damage to the steering wheel. This includes the StopLock Pro Elite.

Is that your experience also?

I'm not overly worried that my 15 year old RX is going to be stolen. It got security built in, has ultrasonic sensors and doesn't have the advanced keyless entry/start keys.

Old skool technology wins!

One thing in Lexus's favour is they aren't as prone to theft and parting out/shipping abroad like top end German cars, LandRovers and Land Cruisers.

Plus on mine the scabby wheels and the smell of oil from the leaking cam cover gaskets would put most thieves off. :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Having read a number of reviews on steering wheel locks, very few are worth spending money on, and the ones that are seem to all do some damage to the steering wheel. This includes the StopLock Pro Elite.

No, not at all. It causes no rubbing or marking whatsoever and I do use it extensively during the day, not just overnight.

I think the reason is that the 'claws' of the Pro Elite are quite big and have plenty of space rather than hugging the wheel closely.

• Like 1

In most cases a visual deterant will suffice. But if a tealeaf really wants the car he's stealing then he'll steal it whatever. Lexus cars are not immune from theft. A friend of a neighbour of mine had theirs stolen tho which model isn't known.

Yes, had 26 minor bumps due to reduced turning circle and 7 new windscreens.

Might uninstall it.

;)

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

Yes, had 26 minor bumps due to reduced turning circle and 7 new windscreens.

Might uninstall it.

;)

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

Boom Boom!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

tee hee - sorry :biggrin:

It hasn't damaged the steering wheel so far and in use for over a year. Not sure if RCF wheel is thicker grip but think it is.

Nah. Mostly because I live in a very safe country (Sweden), and on top of that I live on a dirt road on a mountain in the middle of the forest ^^

And on top of that I've got full insurance.

• Haha 1

Ahh Kristoffer then you are definitely qualified to answer a question somebody's been asking on here. 

How robust is your car since you live where you live?

The only thing I do is make sure its locked and keep the keys well away from the front of the house so they cannot use the signal boosters to get in and start it.

Two cars ago I had a Range Rover P38 … I was hoping that someone would pinch that, unfortunately they did not … my biggest concern about anyone stealing that was them bringing it back when they found out how unreliable they were.

• Haha 5

On 4/25/2019 at 4:37 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Ahh Kristoffer then you are definitely qualified to answer a question somebody's been asking on here. 

How robust is your car since you live where you live?

I've only had mine for about 3 months, but so far it has had zero issues dealing with life on a dirt road on a mountain, even with plenty of snow. It feels ridiculously robust overall.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've disabled the keyless entry on my RX450H.  Mainly because I think there was an attempted theft by some scum with a scanner.  Saves worrying about remembering to put the keys in a pouch every time. It is marginally more inconvenient in daily use but not as much as having it stolen.