Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX and run-flat tyres

I see in the online brochure that the F Sport and Takumi models come with run-flat tyres as standard... Any comments on how this affects the ride and comfort?

My wife's mini has run-flats and the ride is pretty harsh, although I accept that this could be due to the suspension than to the tyres themselves. They are also a lot more expensive to replace than "standard" tyres.

Hi Dan

I traded in a 2016 Cooper S Clubman with RunFlats for my Takumi so can offer a direct comparison!

The Mini was always harsh riding even in 'comfort' mode (I had the adaptive suspension option) and would crash and bang its way round the potholed roads of Surrey!

The UX on the other hand is a revelation even with Dunlop RunFlats - it is probably the smoothest running car I have had and I've had a lot from big Mercs and Audis to the Mini. The Ride is fine as well.

Could have something to do with the deeper sidewalls both had / have 18" rims but the UX is 50 against 45 section for the Mini but it is obvious that the suspension travel is greater and softer as well.

Hope that helps

John

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I understand that new run flats are much better than the ones we used to get a few years ago. 

But I wonder how nice the vehicle will be to drive if the runflats were replaced with conventional tyres

It would be interesting to read how Run Flats would perform with AVS.

On the NX, the latest AVS is a revelation even with this Forums dis-liked Yokohama tyres

AVS is Stealth Tax Territory but it transforms the F-Sport Suspension characteristics now the AVS itself has been uprated.

Worth every penny.

Tel

• Like 1