Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought s secondhand Quicksilver Exhaust

Just bought myself a secondhand Quicksilver exhaust from a chap called John who had an RCF a while ago.

So the mods begin, I've ordered a set of Vossen 10 spoke concave wheels in satin bronze so I may have to keep this car at least 14 months.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

With the help of mate, installed a quicksilver exhaust this morning. Really simple job and took no time at all.

Makes a big difference and my neighbours now have a new alarm clock 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silkmen said:

With the help of mate, installed a quicksilver exhaust this morning. Really simple job and took no time at all.

Makes a big difference and my neighbours now have a new alarm clock 👍

Did you need to install a new gasket where they meet up? as mine didn't have a gasket fitted so I'm guessing the old gasket stays in shape.

2 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

Used the exsisting gaskets and the bolts supplied with the exhaust. The stock bolts don't work due to the QS exhaust not having weld nuts installed.

Mine didn't come with any bolts so I'd better get some. 

Well the exhaust is fitted and it does sound good. Just up the road (a two minute walk) is a company that let you rent a proper professional ramp. I hired it for two hours at £30 it saved f***ing about with jacks. Sport+ gear changes will never sound the same. Sounds like my old V8 AMG now without all the worry of head-bolts ☺️ 

One thing I did notice was that the existing exhaust was flattened where it passes the TVD but this replacement fitted like a glove.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DAW said:

They do sound good - hardly ever listen to the ML sound system now😉

Still wonder why the existing rear exhaust was so flattened as it missed the TVD by some distance. Anyway the car now sounds like it has a N/A 5 litre V8 under the bonnet.

23 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Still wonder why the existing rear exhaust was so flattened as it missed the TVD by some distance. Anyway the car now sounds like it has a N/A 5 litre V8 under the bonnet.

I don’t have the TVD & my exhaust is flattened in the same way.  The car felt more responsive immediately the exhaust was changed & others have said the same.  I presume the standard exhaust is slightly more restrictive than the QS.

Couldn’t agree more on the sound front.  I never got round to changing the exhaust on my ISF, so was determined  not to make the same mistake with the RCF.. Got it changed as soon as I got confirmation that it didn’t invalidate the warranty from TWG (who run the Lexus warranties) & also had some help from a certain Mr @Big Rat 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAW said:

I don’t have the TVD & my exhaust is flattened in the same way.  The car felt more responsive immediately the exhaust was changed & others have said the same.  I presume the standard exhaust is slightly more restrictive than the QS.

Couldn’t agree more on the sound front.  I never got round to changing the exhaust on my ISF, so was determined  not to make the same mistake with the RCF.. Got it changed as soon as I got confirmation that it didn’t invalidate the warranty from TWG (who run the Lexus warranties) & also had some help from a certain Mr @Big Rat 👍🏻

Okay so I guess they all have the flattened section for some reason then. I had a rotten egg smell (I think all cats do that at times) when I first put it on.

I agree the car seems to be a lot more responsive, I'm still trying to replicate something that an ex owner posted on Pistonheads. According to his experience his car was slow to respond to throttle input at low revs. I have tried a steady range of speeds in standard drive and can't for the life of me find a response that I don't consider in any way slow. Perhaps I have a heavier right foot than him.

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

I agree the car seems to be a lot more responsive, I'm still trying to replicate something that an ex owner posted on Pistonheads. According to his experience his car was slow to respond to throttle input at low revs. I have tried a steady range of speeds in standard drive and can't for the life of me find a response that I don't consider in any way slow. Perhaps I have a heavier right foot than him.

I have also never found throttle response to be slow generally. I did initially find the eco drive mode a bit sluggish when pulling away,, but haven’t noticed it since. It may be that I have just adjusted to it, but I also wonder if this may have something to do with the car reacting /learning your driving style?

I guess Eco mode would be, I don't think I've ever used it to be honest. But I have noticed since fitting the exhaust in Sport+ mode it seems more eager but that could be just the noise it makes making me feel I'm going faster.

• Like 1

I tend to use it sitting in traffic, which in Essex seems to be most of the time🙄 or when cruising on the motorway etc.

The thing I really noticed after fitting the QS was how much I had missed the sound of the engine below 3.5k revs for gear changes.  Because I do very few  miles in my RCF, or the ISF before it, I hadn’t realised noticed how much this was affecting my enjoyment of these cars.  For me it’s really my only criticism of the F cars, which is something Lexus really ought to address for markets such as Europe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DAW said:

I tend to use it sitting in traffic, which in Essex seems to be most of the time🙄 or when cruising on the motorway etc.

The thing I really noticed after fitting the QS was how much I had missed the sound of the engine below 3.5k revs for gear changes.  Because I do very few  miles in my RCF, or the ISF before it, I hadn’t realised noticed how much this was affecting my enjoyment of these cars.  For me it’s really my only criticism of the F cars, which is something Lexus really ought to address for markets such as Europe.

I agree the standard car is far too muted and all the Quicksilver does is bring it to life. After all AMG have been doing it for years with their N/A engines and the 470 BHP from 5 litres sounds every bit as good as the AMG's 525 BHP (PP)  from 6.3 litres.

• Like 2

Totally agree, it’s a big part of the character of all those cars and a major part of their attraction.

The daft part about the QS exhaust is that Lexus themselves commissioned it to help sell the RCF at the Goodwood FoS moving motor show 🙄 so they are clearly aware of the issue - at least in the UK anyway!