Nick W858

Potential ISF purchase - thoughts on these two

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon all - am making enquiries about some ISFs as I'm waiting on a job outcome decision at work on the 1st May and if I secure a position I will be looking to change my car, this could be my third ISF and I was definitely lucky with the first two so hoping the third time will prove the same.

Both are on AT, I have spoken/emailed with both owners, the 11 plate was up as private sale for around 22500, now just under £25k with Lexus Guilford, the other still private but up for £18350, it has pretty low mileage for an 08 plate (53k)and the owner seems a nice chap. It is not under a Lexus warranty as stated in the advert and has only a partial LSH but the last three have been done by Lexus, the car has a stainless steel exhaust, just had new front discs/pads fitted and is undergoing alloy wheel refurb as we speak, tyres are very new too, the waterpump has been changed and the big 60k service with spark plugs etc has been done. Other than myself it sounds like he has had no serious enquiries in or around the last six weeks.

Re the one at Lexus, it has FLSH, reasonably low mileage albeit not compared to the 08 plate in terms of miles per year and the owner spoke well of it (as you would expect) prior to his part ex against a RX450h, I don't know how willing to negotiate the dealer would be on price (there would be no part exchange) and I am wondering if they will also agree to extend the warranty period as part of the deal?

The price points are interesting, particularly on the 08 car, I bought and sold my 09 and 08 models for quite a bit less than the £18350 that the 08 one is up for, admittedly they had higher mileages but both had FLSH and the 09 one was still under warranty when I sold it. £18350 for a 08 private sale sounds about 10% over the top to me

Big Rat - not sure if you have these in your database - both silver, one is on EN08 FKU and the other is WP11 BPO.

As I said, I'm waiting on a job outcome decision at work on the 1st May before I can make any further decisions so am just planning my possible moves. Am interested in any views on both cars generally in terms of their price and suitability for purchase, as I said, if I do go ahead, this will be my third ISF and hopefully I will not the same mistake in letting the third one go!

Thanks in advance, with kind regards.

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

Re the one at Lexus, it has FLSH, reasonably low mileage albeit not compared to the 08 plate in terms of miles per year and the owner spoke well of it (as you would expect) prior to his part ex against a RX450h, I don't know how willing to negotiate the dealer would be on price (there would be no part exchange) and I am wondering if they will also agree to extend the warranty period as part of the deal?

They probably paid around £20k for it and will spend £1k on warranty and service etc. so there will be room for some movement, or it will sit there for a month or two and the price will gradually come down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Colin - yes didn’t establish what the dealer gave for it in the part exchange but I guess I could- not that it will make a great deal of difference as no doubt it will depend on the deal they did in the exchange with the 450.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two cars I looked at before buying mine were at lexus dealerships. Both weren’t overly interested in price negotiation. They came across as quite happy to sit on them rather than knock too much off.

you would probably have more luck negotiating with the private seller. Been watching the prices for some time now, to make sure mine’s holding out value wise 👍🏻, most of them around the 50 k mileage or so are up for at least the 17.5 +k.

good luck

matt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine from a dealer and they had sat on it for a month (I’m sure if I looked there would be a thread on here somewhere). I got a discount in keeping with a negotiation but more importantly I got the Lexus warranty upped to 3yrs. I should have got a service plan into the deal.


Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always worth negotiating with a dealer at their financial year/half year/quarter/month end. Guildford is part of Inchcape who have a financial year that aligns with the calendar, therefore the best time would be end of Dec, June, March/Sept and then at every month end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Colin - sound advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Always worth negotiating with a dealer at their financial year/half year/quarter/month end. Guildford is part of Inchcape who have a financial year that aligns with the calendar, therefore the best time would be end of Dec, June, March/Sept and then at every month end.

Sound advice Colin. This is the same with most dealers. Buying an ex demo mini on 30th December resulted in me getting the price down from the previous weeks at another garage in the group from £19995 to £14400 with the best trade in I had been offered. So good that after 20000 miles I got £650 more than I paid for it. 

Cars also tend generally to be cheaper in the Midlands and North. I've had 2 great deals on nearly new cars in Leicester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally wouldn’t be to worried about FLSH, mine is an 08-58 with 62k, I’ve had it serviced by an Indy that I know personally and mine has had all genuine Lexus parts at every service, when I purchased it it had FLSH, FLSH doesn’t seem to worry dealers as these are getting older, I had a dealer offer me £16,495 for mine.....I’ve had mine 5yrs this June. He actually reckons I’d get £18-ish for it on a private sale......I’ve also seen some for £13/14k, these have been higher millers but £5k is a fair bit of change in your pocket.

good luck with your dilemma 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21 April 2019 at 7:25 AM, Spunkmeyer said:

I got mine from a dealer and they had sat on it for a month (I’m sure if I looked there would be a thread on here somewhere). I got a discount in keeping with a negotiation but more importantly I got the Lexus warranty upped to 3yrs. I should have got a service plan into the deal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Christian - if there's some discount on the list price plus a three year warranty then the 11 plate one becomes quite attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Womble72 said:

I personally wouldn’t be to worried about FLSH, mine is an 08-58 with 62k, I’ve had it serviced by an Indy that I know personally and mine has had all genuine Lexus parts at every service, when I purchased it it had FLSH, FLSH doesn’t seem to worry dealers as these are getting older, I had a dealer offer me £16,495 for mine.....I’ve had mine 5yrs this June. He actually reckons I’d get £18-ish for it on a private sale......I’ve also seen some for £13/14k, these have been higher millers but £5k is a fair bit of change in your pocket.

good luck with your dilemma 👍🏻

Thanks Paul - yes both my two went around the 13-15k price - one had over 120k on the click and the other 95k so quite a difference to the 08 plate at 18350 - agree re the FLSH as they age, obviously when buying a car you don't know, it's still nice to have that reassurance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.