Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I think I messed up [wheel sizes/off-sets etc]

I've got a 1998 LS400 pictured below, with OEM 16s...

20180929_141419.thumb.jpg.d497632fdc81919ec7093ec6634667aa.jpg

My alloys are shot, and I found this decent set of four on eBay for a pretty good price...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-alloy-wheels-Very-Good-Condition/143156443730

I've already sent a deposit, so in case the advert goes, here's a photograph of them...
s-l1600.thumb.jpg.cf6b8ba577bc10dfed30113e297d78ff.jpg

However, I'm now worried these are from an earlier Lexus LS400 before they gave them bigger discs/calipers...this has only been brought to my attention by another Lexus-owning friend. 

As I've committed already to buying and collecting, I'm not going to be that guy and pull out of the deal, but I'd like to know in advance, if possible, if I've stupidly bought some wheels that aren't going to fit over my brakes so I can get them sold as soon as I've collected them.

Any help greatly appreciated!

They're the same wheels I had on my 92 LS400 but I can't remember the size, my MK4 had the same wheels you have now. I seem to remember the very first one had 15" then 16" like the ones you've bought. I hope I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will confirm.

Don't know if this will help. Your car is about halfway down (look for EUDM)

specs:

225/60ZR16 97W 7Jx16 ET45 5x114.3

These are the specs for the 1990 model and the spec looks exactly the same apart from the higher speed rating on the tyres.

225/60R16 97V 7Jx16 ET45 5x114.3

The 7j bit and the offset (ET45) are both the same so they should be good.

That's what my research told me (I found that same website - it's exceptionally helpful!).

I'll be making the three hour round trip to collect them in a week or two so my fingers are firmly crossed. 

Those 9 spoke wheels won't fit the front axle of a 95-00 LS400 because of the 50 offset the have.

Original 1997 LS400 = 16"x7" (5x114.3, 60.1mm hub) /  ET40 offset

1993 9spoke  50 offset.jpg

You will need those 10 spoke wheels:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-1998-2000-Lexus-LS400-Felgen-Komplettsatz-mit-Reifen-16X7J/132777327497?hash=item1eea253b89%3Ag%3AzuUAAOSwoIpbl9Mf&LH_ItemCondition=4

I think you're probably,sadly correct in that you have probably ' messed up ' .

No use to you or almost any other Ls400 owner these days.

The seller could have, probably did know, that the Ls400 wheels were from the Mk1 with 9 spokes, not the later 10 for 16" wheels.

In these circumstances I would pull out of the deal tbh.

I think he knew and maybe bought them himself by mistake too

Malc

He just stated suitable for Ls400 cars ...................... Well, only for a specific age Ls400 .............  you nor even many Ls400 current owners would know about the 15" to 16" wheels changeover and the unsuitability of wheels

I suspect he knew all along 

Best wishes with whatever you do

Malc

I bank transferred a £30 deposit to him, and he removed the advert as a result.

I'd assume it's my responsibility for asking questions and/or doing the necessary research before pressing the trigger...therefore I've accepted the loss of the money and told them to put it towards relisting/inconvenience fees.

I'll continue searching...with much more vigilance! Or I may just get them redone professionally...