Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension upgrade is250

seqo

Looking for some either adjustable coilovers or springs, those that have tackled suspension what works best for an is250 that gets a pretty hard drive?

Only want a little lower, enough to clear speedbumps but enough to stop me bouncing down the road...

ideas?

When lowering you should consider whenever you have automatic headlights adjustment issues first (if fitted on your car).

Overall, if you want to keep the car still derivable the only option is to go for coilovers with adjustable spring rates. I personally do not find car overly soft or "floaty" on the road even on original suspension, so only reason to change would be lowering.. 

So my suggestion would be:

0. consider different car, because IS250 is not worth it e.g. IS350 you could at least say "now suspension meets performance". IS250 is generally not fast car, so throwing major money on suspension upgrade is kind of pointless (just my opinion obviously).

1. go for 18" wheels to get rid of slack in tire wall, maybe overall different tyres with stiffer side wall even on 17"
  2. upgrade anti-roll bars first if you feel it rolls too much
  3. go for coilovers (consider adjusting headlight sensor)

DO NOT use lowering springs on standard shocks - that will ruin it!

ohhh and good luck finding any parts in UK! Most will have to be imported from US (e.g. ARB and coils).

The car is affordable for the power and you can't get the is350 in the uk.

As for the sensors i've just had one replaced so is it an issue that i have them.

MY is250 definitely could do with tightening up.

For the price of the cars - yes it is affordable, for the price of the mods... not it is not. Lexus is pretty bad choice if you want to modify. Decent set of coilovers will set you back as much as the car itself, even ARB is like £700. In US it makes sense for them to pay $900 for the ARB or $4000 for coilovers, because 2006 IS250 is still ~$12000 there, here is just not economical.

I think for IS250 the bigger issues is not stiffness, but roll. That is especially true if you get some nice and sticky modern tyres... car just rolls into the corner. That is why I would look into ARB options first. But then where do you draw the line... Do you really think that you going to fit ARB and that is all the car needs?!

Let's you pay £4000 for decent example, £700 for ARB, £600 for decent set of tyres, £500 for wheels and £2400 for coilovers... Now it would make sense to go for IS/GS350 brakes, that is another £600... all in all £8800 and car is still going to be just as slow and now it is worth even less then you started with..  then it is time for SS exhaust (cannot believe it would be in good shape on 2006 car) and F-sport intake, poly-bushings and you already in IS-F price range. Maybe better choice to go straight for IS-F which on the good day can be had for £10-12k?

I understand it seems like I am trying to talk you into some kind of fraud here, but the fact is that - when it comes to modifying, there are no cheap mods on Lexus and no mods improves the car in any major way. That is the reason why people who want ~middle ground sporty cars goes for say BMW 335i or 330i, for Lexus is either everything or nothing. 

Save the £££'s and find an ISF!, most people will think it is just a IS250 anyway...until you wake it up with the GO pedal.

paul m.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:36 AM, seqo said:

Looking for some either adjustable coilovers or springs, those that have tackled suspension what works best for an is250 that gets a pretty hard drive?

Only want a little lower, enough to clear speedbumps but enough to stop me bouncing down the road...

ideas?

Question you need to ask your self is are you satisfied with the power of IS250 and only looking to improve the handling? or are you looking to limit the rolling?

if you happy with the suspension setup and are only looking to limit the rolling then Anti roll bar is where you should be looking. if you want it to sit a bit lower then of course go the coil overs route. but if its power and handling you need then get an IS-F or IS200t if you still want an IS or get a MK3 GS300,430 or 450h. the GS's hide their weight well and are capable.  

Linas, some of your price estimates seem overly pessimistic?! I would baulk at paying those amounts, even if I had an IS-F. 😮

Some upgrades needn't cost the earth. OP could swap his ARBs (or even just rear only) for one off an IS-F and feel a significant improvement. The IS-F rear bar has a 17mm diameter, 2mm thicker than that of a regular IS and costs about 50 quid. I fancy fitting one myself as it would be pretty cheap as no need to import etc.

I'm satisfied with the power and insurance is the issue for price, i could get a 12k isf but i will be backing 7k+ for insurance... The idea for this car is to have it lower for looks but not ruin the drive. It will by my reliable daily while i have another car on the side which i will build for power. I'll do roll bars before i touch suspension.

I was asking in the orignal question; those that have tackled suspension what works best for them.

5 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Linas, some of your price estimates seem overly pessimistic?! I would baulk at paying those amounts, even if I had an IS-F. 😮

The prices are for new parts. That is the other thing.. say in US you can get optional F-sport parts from some wrecked IS350 for pennies, where exactly do you source your IS-F ARB for £50 here? I want one as well 😄

Surely, I have seen some used teins coilovers for £350, but that is like once a year you come across something actually fitting IS250, used and for resolvable price.

I had 3 IS250, one US IS250 AWD with optional F-sport parts and I just found the way to appreciate the car the way it is, any other way - I could not justify the cost for whatever little difference it makes. Obviously, just my opinion, but I would not waste money making IS250 into the car which it never meant to be and will never become.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Linas what are you talking about I was just looking at your prices you posted what is a BC coilovers at 700 quid! There are also other brand choices too and it's not that hard to find parts in the UK for Lexus but I haven't struggled anyway! 

I usually find buying parts from Lexus dealerships themselves are usually cheaper than anywhere else! 

FB_IMG_1621333289972.jpg