Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why two bulbs in the fog light housing?

Just checking my front fog lights, which being a Celsior are yellow, but there's also a clear bulb in the housing on each far side.  Nothing I try makes these bulbs come on, so does anyone know what they do?  I don't remember having them on my last one. They don't act as side lights because they're in the main headlight housing. I just can't see a purpose for them so if anyone knows I'd be grateful.  Ta.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Just checking my front fog lights, which being a Celsior are yellow, but there's also a clear bulb in the housing on each far side.  Nothing I try makes these bulbs come on, so does anyone know what they do?  I don't remember having them on my last one. They don't act as side lights because they're in the main headlight housing. I just can't see a purpose for them so if anyone knows I'd be grateful.  Ta.

Anything in your Handbook Phil?

I appreciate that the Handbook might be in Japanese,but you can perhaps use the Internet to translate from Japanese?

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Anything in your Handbook Phil?

I appreciate that the Handbook might be in Japanese,but you can perhaps use the Internet to translate from Japanese?

That was a quick reply! I suppose I shouldn't be lazy and get the book out.  I'll have a little sit in the garden and see if anything makes sense. I'm also curious to know if UK models have this bulb.

Thanks John. 

Cornering lights? Many Japanese cars were fitted with cornering lights from the late 90s onwards - a feature that didn't make it to the european market until quite recently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

That was a quick reply! I suppose I shouldn't be lazy and get the book out.  I'll have a little sit in the garden and see if anything makes sense. I'm also curious to know if UK models have this bulb.

Thanks John. 

I`m sitting in the cold and rain in Andalucia and it`s too early for the Rioja, so I went on line and met your problem!

Good luck.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I`m sitting in the cold and rain in Andalucia and it`s too early for the Rioja, so I went on line and met your problem!

Good luck.

Never too early for Rioja! The manual doesn't show anything, I've tried it with the ignition on, off, in-between, with other lights and none. Sorry about the weather John, very warm and sunny here!

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Never too early for Rioja! The manual doesn't show anything, I've tried it with the ignition on, off, in-between, with other lights and none. Sorry about the weather John, very warm and sunny here!

I will nevertheless brave it until June........weather must change before then and I`ll keep an eye on how you solve your problem Phil !!

• Like 1

If cornering lights you'll need the engine running and steering turned sufficiently to trigger them. Should also come on with the indicator, below a certain speed.

That's who they've worked on my cars in the past, admittedly not Lexus though.

24 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

If cornering lights you'll need the engine running and steering turned sufficiently to trigger them. Should also come on with the indicator, below a certain speed.

That's who they've worked on my cars in the past, admittedly not Lexus though.

Cornering lights, that's a new one on me, I'm of to try it now!

19 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Cornering lights, that's a new one on me, I'm of to try it now!

No luck with that. This is the housing if anyone has any more ideas. You can see the yellow fog on the left, and the mystery clear bulb next to it. Plus you have the bonus of seeing my left arm!

IMG_20190423_123831411.jpg

Maybe meant as DRLs for some markets?

You need the workshop manual so that you can look at the electrical diagrams - maybe they should work but there's a fuse blown?

• Like 1

I had a search - UCF20 Celsiors did indeed have cornering lamps, but UCF30s make no mention of it. The best description is "Bulb, Rear fog lamp" (yes, I know it's not a rear fog lamp - it means rearmost bulb in the foglamp, since JDM don't have fog lamps on the back of the car):

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/celsior-38230/ucf30-53948/ucf30-aetgk-902843/fog-lamp-17665333#

51 minutes ago, i-s said:

I had a search - UCF20 Celsiors did indeed have cornering lamps, but UCF30s make no mention of it. The best description is "Bulb, Rear fog lamp" (yes, I know it's not a rear fog lamp - it means rearmost bulb in the foglamp, since JDM don't have fog lamps on the back of the car):

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/celsior-38230/ucf30-53948/ucf30-aetgk-902843/fog-lamp-17665333#

Mine is a UCF30 so now I'm really confused! So what's the purpose of cornering lights?  The bulb is only a piddly thing.

11 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Mine is a UCF30 so now I'm really confused! So what's the purpose of cornering lights?  The bulb is only a piddly thing.

Adds a bit of illumination into the direction of turning. I found it very useful when negotiating unfamiliar car parks and driveways. It certainly made a difference when driving my two Mercs. If they operate similarly to the Merc they switch sides when reversing, so you can see what you're about to clout with the front wing...

I am looking forward to getting cornering lights again on my new RC300h in a couple of months..

20 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Adds a bit of illumination into the direction of turning. I found it very useful when negotiating unfamiliar car parks and driveways. It certainly made a difference when driving my two Mercs. If they operate similarly to the Merc they switch sides when reversing, so you can see what you're about to clout with the front wing...

I am looking forward to getting cornering lights again on my new RC300h in a couple of months..

I'll have to check them again, maybe I didn't move the steering wheel enough.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Excellent info, and as usual, thanks to everyone for their input. They are indeed cornering lights that come on with the indicators, but only with the lights on which I didn't try initially! Mystery solved, and something else I didn't know my car had.👍

• Like 2

There are quite a few differences on JDM models, my Celsior has bulbs in both indicator sections whereas the UK version only has a bulb in the front facing sections. UK version only has 1 rear light per side...JDM has 3 each side, although the centre one on mine has been converted to rear light/fog light to meet UK requirements. 

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

There are quite a few differences on JDM models, my Celsior has bulbs in both indicator sections whereas the UK version only has a bulb in the front facing sections. UK version only has 1 rear light per side...JDM has 3 each side, although the centre one on mine has been converted to rear light/fog light to meet UK requirements. 

And mine has had a rear fog light switch fitted since being imported, thankfully integrated into the two rear light clusters and not a separate light hanging from the bumper like a Celsior on eBay recently!  I was thinking the cornering lights would have made a good spot for DRL's but I'll have to think that one again. 

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

And mine has had a rear fog light switch fitted since being imported, thankfully integrated into the two rear light clusters and not a separate light hanging from the bumper like a Celsior on eBay recently!  I was thinking the cornering lights would have made a good spot for DRL's but I'll have to think that one again. 

Same here, it had already been done professionally with a nice discrete switch on the dash and a relay mounted in the boot, also converted speedo and delimited.

Those bumper mounted ones look awful, usually on JDM MPVs, I always think “import”

8 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Same here, it had already been done professionally with a nice discrete switch on the dash and a relay mounted in the boot, also converted speedo and delimited.

Those bumper mounted ones look awful, usually on JDM MPVs, I always think “import”

Yes, mine also had the speedo changed to MPH but I won't know if it's delimited until 4 weeks time when I'm driving through Germany!😱