Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there, pretty new to ths forum and read most of this trouble that ive had since lika a year back without really understanding it! So my coolant are sipping throught the reservoir tube? I think u all call it and ive changed the thermostat without any better results...I really dont hope its the head gasket thats gone but again ive been driving it for over a year with this sympton and no missfire or anything saying that its the hg. I have no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil, i changed the oil and filter like 1 months ago and it still looks good. Could it maybe be the waterpump that is bad? Ive started notice a ticking noise around the engine but no leaks from the pump? If so is it an easy thing to fix yourself or should i leave that to a mechanic? The thermostat was a pain in the ***** to get to but ive managed to change that in around 2-3h. Also when i drove home after changed the thermostat ive opened the trunk and saw white smoke coming from the reservoir tube and no coolant inside. It didnt smell like gas more lika coolant just also. No white smoke from the rear also!

Its also a 2008 model that have gone 145000km (around 90098 miles)

Sorry for a repost of this **** but i really wanna fix this as its my only car. I will also try and call lexus to see what they have to say about it aswell.

Also im from Sweden and can only find topics like this here so hope i could get some kind of anwsers!

Air being trapped in the system can cause this issue, as it will expand more than the liquid and increase the pressure to the point where the cap has to release pressure. Make sure the system is fully purged of air. Ideally place vehicle on slope with nose pointing up, set interior heater to max, remove pressure cap and start engine until up to temperature and cooling fans come on. Hopefully all air will be drawn into the expansion tank.

A small air leak could be drawing in air, typically from the radiator or hoses.

Get the coolant checked for CO2 - that will confirm if it is a head gasket issue. Either professionally or a home test kit such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMBUSTION-LEAK-KIT-PETROL-DIESEL/dp/B018PM3ZFQ

Thanks, will do this tomorrow and also now i checked it again i took off the cap and started the car just to se if there were any bubbles that would come and smell and well the car was cold and smoke started to come almost instantly and just a few little bubbles would appears aswell and when i smelled it i only got the smell of antifreeze i guess? Havent really smelled the exhaust but does it smell the same like if i tried sniff the exhaust and then compared it to the coolant? I might also gonna try and test for any CO2 in the coolant! 

34 minutes ago, gubbelille said:

smoke started to come almost instantly and just a few little bubbles would appears aswell

Certainly sounds like the head gasket then, no other reason for smoke. Possibly it is a small leak which is closing up once the engine block expands with heat otherwise you would be loosing a lot more coolant.

ye thats what ive been expecting, but even so having driven with this issue since last summer shouldnt ive been noticed it in some way that my car would stop working or something else? Or is it like a really small leak like u said that just makes it work? Well anyway thanks for the info and i will look more up to it in the days that come cause it really annoying. Anyone that knows what this would cost as i guess there is nothing that will go for freely as its already gone 11 years in to the car. Sure hope it will be something else but seing the smoke from the reservoir sure makes it looks like the hg. But also if theres a leak shouldnt it destroyed my engine already? Like i said havent lost power, more fuel drain, misfire? Is this really an exceptional hg failure that makes it works?

A small update, i called the lexus dealer and before i even could explain it all they just went with the hg and said it would cost 3000 something in pounds so i was like nope. Then i called another that actually listen to me and i explained it fairly good and they said it could be something else that is making this happening. Im not sure what the english word is for it but it could have a leak for the "exhaust cooler" that pushes pressure combustion into the cooler or something in that way cause he was suprised i had this for like a year and still can drive it the same as when i bought it so its a fairly chance its not the hg and something else that is leaking exhaust into the cooler as it goes through other places that could make the pressure inside and also why most say its the hg so on friday i will leave it in for a diagnostic and see what they will find out. Just hope its not the hg but i can still drive it like nothing, Also changed the oil then this happened and the old oil looks just like oil should look like and the new one still looks fresh like it should and same goes for the coolant.

The EGR cooler has a matrix that looks like it could easily crack and let exhaust gas into the coolant. See bottom right.

1380710180_ScreenShot2019-04-24at18_46_07.thumb.png.dff2be7b6df07a213f777fc141a82449.png

Also changed the oil then this happened and the old oil looks just like oil should look like and the new one still looks fresh like it should and same goes for the coolant.

A head gasket can fail just between a cylinder and a water passage and therefore you will have no affect on the oil.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gubbelille said:

Oh this is really good picture! And so therefor also no change when it comes to the engine behaving any negativ then?

Wherever the leak is, that could get bigger - forcing out most/all of the coolant and overheating the engine within seconds.

Well the call was right from all of you and the hefty price of over 3000 aint something im willing to pay for it so i made the dumbest thing and poured in headgasket sealer and so far so good actually and im guessing im gonna sell it asap as evil as u can be and not mention it and get the is250 instead as ive seen its much more appreciated from other lexus owner or is it something i should be worried about that car aswell? I do really like this car if it wasnt for this stupid hg problem but right now it "works" with this in it and runs without any coolant loss...

• 5 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:47 PM, ColinBarber said:

The EGR cooler has a matrix that looks like it could easily crack and let exhaust gas into the coolant. See bottom right.

1380710180_ScreenShot2019-04-24at18_46_07.thumb.png.dff2be7b6df07a213f777fc141a82449.png

A head gasket can fail just between a cylinder and a water passage and therefore you will have no affect on the oil.

Hello Colin, Many Thanks for this idea - I suspect this is the cause in my scenario.  I shall be investigating this once time allows after MoT on Sunday (Yes Sunday - in NI they have a huge backlog).  Hope the item is easily removed.

10 minutes ago, STANSKI said:

Hello Colin, Many Thanks for this idea - I suspect this is the cause in my scenario.  I shall be investigating this once time allows after MoT on Sunday (Yes Sunday - in NI they have a huge backlog).  Hope the item is easily removed.

Let me know how if the cooler resolves your water loss. I have the same loss of coolant but no smoke and drives faultless and everything works. A Need to top up sometimes with 0.5 litres of coolant. Twice when I went on holiday to IOW and did 550 miles round trip from the Midlands.  Going to sell on eBay at some point, listing all faults and probably buy an IS 250 SEL instead or GS450H!

James.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, ColinBarber said:

Wherever the leak is, that could get bigger - forcing out most/all of the coolant and overheating the engine within seconds.

A good excuse to scrap it! A big paperweight!

Don't know why Lexus/toyota built such poor diesels and other gearbox, turbo lag issues. I like the style, comfort and safety. Hope the IS 250 is more willing to go from a standing start and no gearbox oddities. Will have to drive one to see what I think. My old 1996 940 is auto and acceptable AW70.

James.

My initial start to resolve this problem was to visit a local scrapyard to remove a cooler - little did I realise how awkward it would be.  After an hour had to leave as he wanted to close - as it was 12 noon.  Had to learn on the go - removing the exhaust manifold is not simple as to access one bolt under the manifold outlet is a torment.  To displace the turbo to get to the cooler is also a headache with all the ancillary pipes.  

Reviewed options and found some coolers for sale on fleabay. Noticed a circular seal is needed between engine block and cooler and thought oops - perhaps a new one would be needed as most coolers being sold do not have it on.

Now thinking about how to test the cooler before making purchase - to confirm it will work correctly our thoughts are to pressurise the exhaust inlet, blank the out, then listen if noise is heard in water inlet.  Any thoughts by others welcome.  Possible option is to place in bowl of water to see if bubble come out of water inlet.

Discuss anyone.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:03 PM, JamesIS220 said:

A good excuse to scrap it! A big paperweight!

Don't know why Lexus/toyota built such poor diesels and other gearbox, turbo lag issues. I like the style, comfort and safety. Hope the IS 250 is more willing to go from a standing start and no gearbox oddities. Will have to drive one to see what I think. My old 1996 940 is auto and acceptable AW70.

James.

Hi James, you sound a little dejected with your Lexus, a pity as they are really good cars.  My love affair with Lexus started 4 years ago when after reading good reports about them found a battered GS450h and rebuilt it over a winter when recovering from a broken collarbone.  I am not a mammoth expert on them but have learnt to maintain them with self-learning about the electronics to overcome many minor irritations that have been experienced.

Where in Staffordshire are you?  I leave Ireland on Wednesday and return to Somerset on Thursday via Pembroke / Bristol (M4/M5). 

I should explain all of the Lexus cars my wife and I own have a story behind them - some funny, some wierd, and some mad.  We are just general run o the mill folk who have bought some Lexus for enjoyment as well as work.

The IS220d car with this problem has only 107k and is staying in NI while I consider the options.  I have a second IS220d - black '08' and only 123k - runs like a dream and used to get me up and down the M-way for work until Feb this year when I finished the contract.

If you fancy a project I have a '58' IS250 in the garden awaiting my attention - stupidly won it on fleabay (long story) and forgot to check if a wheelnut key was with it.  So stood up in back of garden waiting for me to get the wheels off.

Should you want some knowledge about GS450h have you considered options and year? I have an '06', black SEL?  I also have a '59' SE that wife really enjoyed until she decided it was too large - so I got a Ct200h for her and kept the GS as it has only done 32k.  

Should you want a trip to Somerset - Taunton, for a chat and an adventure please let me know.  Bring the IS220d and maybe we can resolve the issue you have.

Cheers.

Stan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:41 PM, STANSKI said:

Passed MoT with flying colours - No worries the inspector said.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, STANSKI said:

Hi James, you sound a little dejected with your Lexus, a pity as they are really good cars.  My love affair with Lexus started 4 years ago when after reading good reports about them found a battered GS450h and rebuilt it over a winter when recovering from a broken collarbone.  I am not a mammoth expert on them but have learnt to maintain them with self-learning about the electronics to overcome many minor irritations that have been experienced.

Where in Staffordshire are you?  I leave Ireland on Wednesday and return to Somerset on Thursday via Pembroke / Bristol (M4/M5). 

I should explain all of the Lexus cars my wife and I own have a story behind them - some funny, some wierd, and some mad.  We are just general run o the mill folk who have bought some Lexus for enjoyment as well as work.

The IS220d car with this problem has only 107k and is staying in NI while I consider the options.  I have a second IS220d - black '08' and only 123k - runs like a dream and used to get me up and down the M-way for work until Feb this year when I finished the contract.

If you fancy a project I have a '58' IS250 in the garden awaiting my attention - stupidly won it on fleabay (long story) and forgot to check if a wheelnut key was with it.  So stood up in back of garden waiting for me to get the wheels off.

Should you want some knowledge about GS450h have you considered options and year? I have an '06', black SEL?  I also have a '59' SE that wife really enjoyed until she decided it was too large - so I got a Ct200h for her and kept the GS as it has only done 32k.  

Should you want a trip to Somerset - Taunton, for a chat and an adventure please let me know.  Bring the IS220d and maybe we can resolve the issue you have.

Cheers.

Stan

Hi Stan. Thanks for your reply.

You certainly have a Lexus collection! I had a Volvo collection. A 1989 240 GLT auto petrol estate. Daily driver for 8 years and owned for 10 years. Liked it and very reliable. Added 76,000 miles in my ownership and sold with 234,000 on clock. Bought for £350 sold for £500!

Bought my current Volvo 940 1996 2.3 petrol  auto estate 3 years ago for £250 and so far very good. Wanted a car with AC and ABS. Now on 200,500 miles.

Surfed eBay one evening and bought a Lexus IS220D. Liked the shape and colour. Don't regret it as owned for 18 months now. May sell as Grandparents hoping to move by me, and then no use for a diesel as short journeys only. Lexus costing me an extra £400 insurance and road tax. May in around a year buy a Lexus IS  250 or Hybrid. Budget Max 3-4k Ideally SEL!

I like Lexus as a brand and wish they did an estate. Like the safety, comfort, build quality.

Quite like the RX300/400h for large boot and decent rear leg room. Read avoid air suspension or change. Suspect RX 300 25mpg and 400H 35mpg?. Quite expensive to buy though.

Great news on the MOT Pass. The Lexus went straight through with no advisories as it always has on the MOT history check and my 1996 940 passed with one minor advisory.

I'm near Alrewas. If your my way pop in for a cuppa. I live on a narrowboat.

If I'm ever going your way I'll send you a pm.

James.

Lex1.jpg

Lex3.jpg

Fleet.jpg

Resevoir is good - loss of water only through the exhaust port.  Have met another chap who had a crack like you suggest.  Also replaced pressure cap to make sure.

Confident in egr cooler - now working out a method of testing this whilst on engine if possible.  

James, I had written a Sticky Note - not quite certain how they work, just about to send it in response to you and it disappeared.

In a nutshell we have a friend who has moved to Telford, so could try to pop-in to chat over a cuppa mid-november.  Once we have a cunning plan sorted will make contact.

Keep the faith with the Lexus.

Stan

• Like 1

If your is220d spits coolant from expansion tank tube or level drops with no visual leaks you have failed gead gasket. There is no need to try finding some other cheaper and easier fault there. Head gasket is gone and you need to face it. 3k to fix or scrap the car. Stop making those stupid threads.

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Zawijak said:

Hello can I use Preston coolant/antifreeze in my Lexus?

As long as it meets manufacturer’s specification you can use any brand you like, personally I would stick to the Toyota stuff though.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, new to this but I have a similar problem only so strange i cant figure it out. So one day i notice that my anti freeze in the cooling reservoir is on the "min" mark (it was not leaking), so i topped it off to the "max" mark, then i notice that there is some leaks on the ground, so i checked and there was a small  pressured current stream of coolant coming from the reservoir, problem was that the cooling reservoir had cracked. I didint think nothing of it so i changed the coolant reservoir, after changing it i poured coolant till the "max" mark again, car was warm and i all seemed ok, then after driving it for 12km i noticed that the coolant is on the "min" again and there was coolant leaking from the reservoir once again... there was a crack on the side again... can this happen that the pressure ruptures the coolant reservoir or is it my hg blown.. ? When the car is warm even with the cracked and leaking reservoir coolant is on "min" when its cold its below "min" .. Any help is much appreciated

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links