Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Bit of a schoolboy error here!

Halfway through replacing my alternator, I had to pop out to the shops. My Battery was disconnected, so I locked the car from the inside using the internal door locks and closed the bonnet. Checked all doors were locked and went on my way.

Got back and did the usual procedure for taking the physical lock cover off the driver's door. Put the physical key in the lock. Turned anticlockwise... nothing happens. Turned clockwise... nothing happens.

Physical lock on the boot still opens as normal - but on the drivers door it just wont open! I am sure I have used this key to open the door manually before, but I'm guessing the difference is that my Battery is now disconnected and the physical key relies on electrical power somehow?

Any ideas? Am i going to have to break the window to get in?

Hi Arvin, you say that you can get in the boot yes ? I am sure I read a post on here a while ago that you can connect a 12v Battery to a live and Earth supply in the boot such as reverse light or maybe side light connections then try your key fob to unlock the car , hope this works for you, good luck.

Allan

Me again ! From what I can remember you can take the number plate light out from the outside of the car then connect a Battery to the wires on the number plate light and unlock with the fob make sure you connect the wires correctly ie: positive to + negative to - , this tip is useful if you can't get access inside the boot, whatever you do don't smash a window ! 

Allan

Thanks Allan that sounds like a fantastic idea! I can only imagine that I screwed up fitting the lock actuators when the door locks failed a couple of years back.

Fortunately I live in Greater London so don't need the car for my commute, so I have a bit of time to figure this one out

Do you remember what you were searching for when you found the solution of connecting the Battery to the rear lights?

Sorry Arvin it was a long time ago, but I'm fairly certain that my second reply about taking the number plate light out is the post that I read, maybe someone on here has a better memory than me !.......it is worth a try anyway, may be a 9v Battery like is used in a smoke alarm could be used ? Let us know how you get on .

Allan

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 12:51 AM, JamesIS220 said:

How about using a pole through the ski hatch and unlocking rear door? would it open from inside with no power?

James.  

Sorry, had various personal and family medical nightmares therefore no time to post. But just following up in case anyone has the same problem. THanks all for the tips/suggestions.

James' answer was the winning solution! A good length pole will easily reach the back seat door locks through the ski hatch. Good old fashioned brute force. I actually used a £2.99 cleaning mop from B&M 🙂

I didn't try the rear lights solution because, come to think of it, I think the power circuit would still be OC - since i had the Battery disconnected? I think this trick only works if your Battery is flat - not purposely disconnected.

Moral of the story is double check that the physical lock still works when you're done changing your door actuators!

• Thanks 1