Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rasping sound on acceleration

MadJam250

Hi all. 

Have only just noticed this with the driver's window open due to recent good weather. When in non electric mode, on acceleration I can hear a distinct short rasp that sounds like it's coming from the o/s/f, engine area. It's almost like a vibration or air escaping (in a raspy/raspberry-like sound!) from a hose perhaps, but the car seems to work OK. 

Anyone else heard this?  Mine is a 2014 face-lift model. 

Thanks. 

Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak? Does it do it if you rev at an idle? If so you could have someone rev it and see if you can feel something escaping from somewhere, be careful not to burn yourself.

2 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak? Does it do it if you rev at an idle? If so you could have someone rev it and see if you can feel something escaping from somewhere, be careful not to burn yourself.

You can't rev a hybrid!

I was able to rev it a bit in 'P' but no rasping sound. Air filter housing seems fine so does everything else. No apparent loss in power/performance/MPG. Could be exhaust but not the normal sound I've been used to in the past. Its due 6th (big) service next month so I'll mention it then. 

Thanks all. 

I had what sounds like a similar issue. One of the exhaust heat shields had corroded and came free from its mounting and was rattling at certain revs. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's had its major service now. I pointed this out and they sent the usual video walk around saying that all of the exhaust system and hoses and heat shields etc were fine. I can't hear it at higher speeds or with windows up. Performance and fuel economy isn't seemingly affected so I guess it's just the standard sound unless something else is vibrating. 

Does anyone else hear a rasping sound from their CT200h engine on acceleration (with windows down)? 

• 2 weeks later...

Back for further investigation yesterday and nothing obvious can be found that could be leading to this. The bad weather didn't help for demonstrating the sound to the Lexus employee. They've checked the whole exhaust system and heat shields etc. It's likely the sound is just normal.. and we all, as owners, know that hybrids do make noises that 'normal' cars don't. 

As always, can't fault the dealership. Free lift to and from work, free wash and vac and a warranty claim to update the satnav as the original had occasionally glitched. Recent major (60k) service was reduced also. This is why Lexus keep winning awards. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Back to dealer again and a quiet, dry environment allowed the technician to hear the noise. Turned out to be a loose resonating piece of plastic housing for the air flow to the air filter box. My guess is when the part was possibly remove for some recent air con condenser work it wasn't secured properly when reassembled. A few new clips and it's back to normal and no more rasping vibration. 

As always the dealership was as helpful and courteous as ever. 

Love my CT 😊