Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone else have problems with Halfords and the LOC discount?

rich1068

Happened again today.

Some patronising muppet telling me I need to download a voucher from here (???) to get a code to receive my 10%. And that's after they phoned the Halfords Business Services number on the card. Sick of explaining how much the discount is, how to take off 15% (!!!) or them just saying they don't know what to do and holding my gaze in some sort of mouth breathing Mexican stand off. 

How is this discount negotiated by the owner's clubs that offer it and why the hell don't Halfords staff know about it? 

Do you not find Halfords overpriced? Even applying the discount only makes their prices come down to almost the level of everywhere else, so I only go in there when I really do not have any viable alternative - but on the extremely rare occasion I've been in, I've never had problems in using the discount card.

Do you not find Halfords overpriced?

Yes, pretty much. But they'll often have 20% off selected items, 3 for 2 offers etc.
With the additional 15% LOC discount on top of that, it can make their prices quite appealing.

For the record I've also been met with a puzzled look most of the times I've presented my card at the till, but the discount has always been honoured in the end.
Actually one time with even more than 15% being taken off because the person on the checkout tried to do the maths in their head (badly). [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Richard, I used my card in 2 Halfords brunches in Glasgow and they worked, as John above sometimes they give me a look but at the end it always worked.

Also, at last, last Friday I had an MOT and service department confirmed that they do accept LOC golden membership card, funny enough, it was the same person who last year said that he never seen cards like this before and has no idea what LOC is!

Definitely depends which branch and who serves you. On one occasion the lady who was unaware of the scheme used the bar code from another offer (Kidderminster). 

Cheltenham was hard and difficult but eventually sorted. 

Telford Halfords I had absolutely no problem and the same at Gloucester. 

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

Do you not find Halfords overpriced? Even applying the discount only makes their prices come down to almost the level of everywhere else, so I only go in there when I really do not have any viable alternative - but on the extremely rare occasion I've been in, I've never had problems in using the discount card.

I do. But as you say, sometimes you have no choice.

I am an ocean of calm now but while I was still annoyed last night the branch got both barrels via their "how did we do?" link on the receipt.

• Haha 1

I also have never had an issues using my discount card at our local Halfords,but it is funny watching them try to work the percentage out in their heads and then finally getting the calculator out.

Like John said when they have offers on Autoglym or even dash cams it really can work out a good discount.

I find when they scan the card I only get 12%!  Often the staff aren't aware of the card or LOC. I did recently but a new Tom Tom and got a healthy discount though.

buying my new Battery in January at the local Toyota main dealer and they gave me 30% discount without my even asking ..............  and fitted it for free :rolleyes:

maybe it was the sympathy card I played .............. wielding my walking stick  :whistling1:

not sure the Halfords / LOC card would have worked out any better tbh

Malc

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Business services have given you the wrong advice. We do not have a downloadable version. 

I know this. And they didn't give me the advice, it was the store assistant who phoned them!

Anyhoo, it appears that Halfords Queens Road Sheffield is to be avoided. As is any contact with Halfords Business Services.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I know this. And they didn't give me the advice, it was the store assistant who phoned them!

Anyhoo, it appears that Halfords Queens Road Sheffield is to be avoided. As is any contact with Halfords Business Services.

You should try our local Halfords. If, and it's a big if, that you do manage to find a staff member, they tend to give you the impression you've done something wrong just for being there.  I do find the discount card useful though, apart from the satnav, I bought another dash cam and various cleaning/ detailing bits and pieces. I think you just have to be selective to make it work, look out for their offers etc.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, Malc said:

buying my new battery in January at the local Toyota main dealer and they gave me 30% discount without my even asking ..............  and fitted it for free :rolleyes:

maybe it was the sympathy card I played .............. wielding my walking stick  :whistling1:

not sure the Halfords / LOC card would have worked out any better tbh

Malc

Do you think this one will work for myself Malc 😀

ECF0D562-AF14-4977-B2D8-6ACBB04CA5D0.jpeg

• Like 1

Never had any issues either. I do find it a little odd that they can’t just scan the card to give the discount (I know there is a different discount in the bike section, couldn’t there be two barcodes?), as they do have to get their phones out to work out the 15%.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/24/2019 at 12:01 AM, Herbie said:

Do you not find Halfords overpriced?

Overpriced compared to who? Is there another high street retailer with a similar range of products at lower prices or are you comparing them to amazon and eBay? Companies with a physical high street presence obviously can't compete with the likes of amazon on price alone. Debenhams just went into administration today, it's likely only a matter of time before amazon destroys Halfords too. I don't have a lot of faith in our government implementing policy changes to resolve this, although they do sometimes witter on about it in the commons.

Halfords is damn handy when you need something quickly, it'll be a real shame if it goes away. I think it's worth paying the small premium to buy from them for this reason alone.

• Like 3

I bought a pedal bike for my 6 years old daughter there and then a year later a kids scooter, I managed to use a LOC discount on top of discounted items and in a bike department I had probably the best service ever, just great Halfords branch at Braehead Glasgow!

21 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Overpriced compared to who?

Certainly not comparing to eBay or amazon, but rather local car accessory shops, motor factors and tool shops.

The only time I would ever go into Halfords is if I need something in an emergency between 6pm and 8pm as the other places all shut at 6.00 but Halfords shuts at 8.00. Any and every other time I can get what I need from local businesses at reasonable and almost always better prices.

20 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Halfords are quite often cheaper than Amazon. For example I brought some Scratch X the other day in Halfords for £11.80, it is £12.99 from Amazon.

I went back to Halfords this week to buy some DRL's, and I found a staff member!  I bought a pair of Ring lights at £21 with the discount, the very same lights are £39 at ECP.  This time the guy had no trouble with the card or the 15%

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Certainly not comparing to eBay or Amazon, but rather local car accessory shops, motor factors and tool shops.

The only time I would ever go into Halfords is if I need something in an emergency between 6pm and 8pm as the other places all shut at 6.00 but Halfords shuts at 8.00. Any and every other time I can get what I need from local businesses at reasonable and almost always better prices.

Fair enough. I don't think there are any similar shops near me, at least not ones I'm aware of. If Halfords went away I'd be really miffed, especially for things like bulb changes. For £3 on some cars this is worth every penny!

6 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

especially for things like bulb changes

I used my local Halfords the other month to change a headlamp bulb  ...  £13   I think ( to include a  ' free '  2nd bulb ) and done in an instant too.  No hanging around and no journeying to my regular indy who actually recommended I visit Halfords with my urgent simply resolvable problem :biggrin:

Good for some things then especially ...  and I don't have an LOC card btw

Malc

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

I used my local Halfords the other month to change a headlamp bulb  ...  £13   I think ( to include a  ' free '  2nd bulb ) and done in an instant too.  No hanging around and no journeying to my regular indy who actually recommended I visit Halfords with my urgent simply resolvable problem :biggrin:

Good for some things then especially ...  and I don't have an LOC card btw

Malc

I hope it wasn't your Lexus bulb that needed replacing, not until its 30 years old anyway!