Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear upper suspension ball joints

Anthony B

My LS430 requires new rear upper suspension ball joints (it's MoT time!)   My garage are having trouble locating a supplier other than Lexus themselves - who may be expensive.  Does anyone have info on an alternative supplier.  I'm happy to have the garage fit Lexus parts but I also want to shop around.

AFB

Another query - there are two of these items in the car - are they identical or is one the mirror image of the other - the Lexussparesdirect site on e-bay confusingly shows only one

I bought mine ( rear UCAs )  from Amayama in Japan, about 50% of the Lexus price even after Customs Duty and VAT and delivery etc  .........  about £250 each

If it's the same or similar wishbone type unit as my Mk3

Malc

4 hours ago, Anthony B said:

Another query - there are two of these items in the car - are they identical or is one the mirror image of the other - the Lexussparesdirect site on e-bay confusingly shows only one

On the eBay listing he states "please specify which side when ordering" so I'd say they are side specific. In fact looking at the picture I'd say it's clear they are different. Can I ask if you have any "symptoms"  It helps to know what they are for future reference.  Thanks 

16 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

On the ebay listing he states "please specify which side when ordering" so I'd say they are side specific. In fact looking at the picture I'd say it's clear they are different. Can I ask if you have any "symptoms"  It helps to know what they are for future reference.  Thanks 

Your’s will be fine Phil with the car living a cosseted life in Japan with nice smooth roads and no salt, just try and avoid the potholes! I had to replace my nearside front UCA due to a pothole impact and both front LBJs. Fortunately never had a problem on the back.

Near-side and off-side are different, of course, it was just my ignorance showing.  In the outcome I've ordered two from Paul Frost, to be delivered Friday.  He deals in what is nowadays called 'pre-loved' in other circles, but I hope none the worse for that.  I paid £235 inc. delivery versus over £700 from Lexus, so I'm quids in.

The symptoms were a knocking from underneath the car on turning rapidly or on a bumpy surface.  The MoT test showed up the culprits, and it's a 'fail' issue so can't be ignored.

Thanks to all for your advice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anthony B said:

Near-side and off-side are different, of course, it was just my ignorance showing.  In the outcome I've ordered two from Paul Frost, to be delivered Friday.  He deals in what is nowadays called 'pre-loved' in other circles, but I hope none the worse for that.  I paid £235 inc. delivery versus over £700 from Lexus, so I'm quids in.

The symptoms were a knocking from underneath the car on turning rapidly or on a bumpy surface.  The MoT test showed up the culprits, and it's a 'fail' issue so can't be ignored.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Paul Frost seems pretty good, I don't think he'd sell you a duff part, he's got a good reputation.

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Your’s will be fine Phil with the car living a cosseted life in Japan with nice smooth roads and no salt, just try and avoid the potholes! I had to replace my nearside front UCA due to a pothole impact and both front LBJs. Fortunately never had a problem on the back.

I must say there still isn't a sign of even a rusty bolt head yet. We hardly had any roads salted this winter in our area, on the odd day we did I used my other car. I just realised that I need to take the flare out when we use the Eurotunnel soon as it's a kind of explosive!

Does anyone have access to a set of (4) mounting bolts for the rear ball joints?  Paul Frost doesn't have them because, I'm told, they corrode in place and are a brute to extract.  I'm about to talk to Lexus for some OEM replacements, but if another solution can be found so much the better.

• Sad 1

Bad news, I'm afraid.  The ball joints which Paul frost sold me are in worse nick than the ones which have failed on MoT.  I now have to choose between buying new ones (v. expensive - ~£700 each) or scrapping the car.   Which bullet do I bite on?

Have you tried sourcing from Amayama or Rockauto ?  , they might work out at 50% of the UK price even after shipping, Customs Duty and VAT and UK handling ......  and be with you in just a few days too 😊

Malc

28 minutes ago, Anthony B said:

My garage tried Rockauto and their price was certainly lower than the Lexus quote, but with shipping added was still too high.

Have you tried Lexus Parts Direct yet.

Fill in this contact form and a member of the team will price it up for you. - We beat main dealer prices 

Apologies - yes I was confused - it was Lexus Spares Direct.  My garage have been talking to Parts Direct.  I've decided I can no longer run this old car, much as I've enjoyed owning it.