Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extensive ICE upgrade without replacing any of the factory fitted equipment

Crizco-ok

Hi Everyone, just thought I would share how I have upgraded the in car entertainment of my SC 430. First I did not want to replace or modify the dash in any way. I have seen pictures of people who have pulled the factory fitted stereos and replaced them with aftermarket kit and, just no.

So the driver behind all this was to see what could be made of the factory fitted equipment. I started the design around the Naviks kit and it was a case of what can it do and how can I enhance the car. There was no real primary objective, a case of doing it because you can.

Shopping list:

• Zyxel N300 4G LTE SIM Slot Unlocked Wi-Fi Dual Band Router [LTE3302] (Amazon)
  • Google Chromecast (had in stock)
  • NAVIKS 2002 - 2009 Lexus SC 430 (Z40) HDMI Video Interface (NK-2300) (Direct from NAVIKS)
  • Rewire GPS Tracker (had in stock)
  • 12-Way Blade Fuse Block W/Negative Bus (Amazon)
  • 2 of AUTO-VOX Reverse Camera 480TVL Color HD Car Rear View Backup Camera (Amazon)
  • USB Car 45W 9A 5-Port 12volt (Amazon)
  • Veba AVFM-MOD08 Wireless FM Modulator Transmitter (ebay)
  • Wireless Remote Control Switch DC12V-48V 2CH Relay Receiver & RF Transmitter (ebay)
  • Heschen Timer Delay Relay H3Y-2 12VDC 0-3 Minute 250VAC 5A 8Pin terminal DPDT with DYF08 35mm DIN Rail Socket Base (Amazon)
  • Various cables and connectors as needed

Power:

Starting with the need for power, in the black box on the left in the boot is a permanent supply and neutral. I took a feed from that and wired it to common and NC of the relay. Positive is a bolted connection, neutral was a strip and solder.

Wired pin 18 and 17 from the Navigation ECU plug to switch the relay on when the car is started.

Why a relay?

• The kit will pull quite a bit of current at start
  • The above kit won't hang off pin 17/18 of the ECU plug
  • For neatness
  • Time delay. Pulling that amount of power at engine start and while the power has not settled down I wanted to avoid.

Wired the NC from the relay and the neutral to the 12-way fuse block.

Result: I had a hard wired fuse block that was switched from ignition with a delay of 4 seconds.

Wired into this:

• Reversing camera
  • Forward facing camera
  • NAViks
  • USB 12v x 5 port adaptor
  • Veba modulator
  • Wireless remote
  • Rewire tracker

GPS tracker:

All my vehicles have GPS trackers, rewire is a standard tracker just needing a SIM card and 12v. I also use gpsgate software as it is enterprise level software and yet they give you 5 free licenses.

NAVIKS:

This has three inputs:

1. HDMI, plugged the Chromecast into that, and as that needed USB, the 12v USB adaptor was used. Chromecast also needs internet. This is where the Zyxel N300 router comes in, using a 4G sim card, gives internet access and as the Zyxel is powered by USB, so plugged into the 12v USB adaptor.
  2. CAR Reversing camera: Connect the reversing camera to this with the positive of the reversing lights.
  3. AV in: Connected this to the front facing camera.

Has AV out. This was connected to the Veba FM modulator with that set to an odd channel (most FM channels broadcast on even channels). The Naviks sends the HDMI and AV in to the AV out connectors.

Selection button: The Naviks has a channel selector button on a shortish cable, instead of wiring all the way to the dash, I am using a wireless remote control switch.

Gives me:

1. Reversing camera
  2. Chromecast, so stream my phone to the display such as spotify, netflix (only when parked), google maps etc.
  3. Front facing camera
  4. Internet access
  5. GPS tracker
  6. I have not replaced any part of the cars original OEM equipment
  7. Not touched the dashboard

Other add-ons I am considering:

• A NVR to constantly record both front and rear cameras where the footage can be downloaded to an Android phone.

Build pictures:

I did take them, but all you see as the project progressed was wires, wires and more wires. I did use cable tape to make things neat, just thought I would share what can be done.

• Like 2

That sounds great, so video out on the sat nav screen? and sound to an FM channel. Which channel do you use, never had much luck with those senders.

Big ask, could you do a quick connections / wiring  drawing?

Thanks again for taking the time to type up.

I chose the sender I did as it is a large chunk of tin and better than the cheap things. I also needed something that did not require human intervention with an on/off switch.

Regards channel, I am using 87.5 and that seems OK at the moment.

Regards diagram, will dig the crayons out later (haha)

• Like 1

Yes very good indeed. The Naviks is a good product. Why replace any of the original equipment if you are happy with the ML?  

Where did you mount the cameras?

Hi Neil

the cameras: they mount  behind the number plate and you just see the camera. Less drilling through the body work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07216SXX1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7RuWCbJYX4B47

There are then three rubber holes in the boot you can pass cables through.

Now with pictures:

4 pictures:

1. To make access easier once the install was complete, I cut the boot liner.

2. Showing the rear camera and how it fits to the number place

3 and 4, showing the setup and the location of where the items are.

07AF079D-FDD4-490F-8298-AF8B982BDCF3.jpeg

C1F0A84A-725D-4F8C-84F2-60D29E7D69D7.jpeg

AE8EE96F-A756-47EA-AD79-6697E97BD9E0.jpeg

6A0E3D6C-7DCA-4FFA-B503-766C2BC0090C.jpeg

• Like 3

👍 Impressive, looks very neat and tidy too.  

I'm considering installing a CCD camera in the rear spoiler for a better view but is the improvement really worth the pain of re-routing the cable and of course it has to be mounted in the spoiler? How good is the image on your rear view camera?

On 4/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, Neil E said:

👍 Impressive, looks very neat and tidy too.  

I'm considering installing a CCD camera in the rear spoiler for a better view but is the improvement really worth the pain of re-routing the cable and of course it has to be mounted in the spoiler? How good is the image on your rear view camera?

Hi Neil E

Well worth doing the work for the camera and the Naviks makes this so easy and the quality is crystal clear. You don't have to go over the top like me.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 6:20 PM, Crizco-ok said:

Hi Neil E

Well worth doing the work for the camera and the Naviks makes this so easy and the quality is crystal clear. You don't have to go over the top like me.

Hi Christian, very good advice with regard to going OTT it just needed to be a bit sooner.....🤣 My install isn't as elegant as yours. I looked at using Naviks but priorities for ICE were more to hifi. Like you, for the rear cam I took the sensible route and ran the cables through the boot to sit above the number plate (see pic). It's okay but a bit low really, hence the question about the image for practical parking and reversing. From past experience with other camera installs, I think the best position would be at the height of the boot spoiler above the 'L' for a better overall view. I just haven't summoned up the will to do it properly. A camera from an LS or RX might help make it look neat.

85052.thumb.jpg.c365d94a7a339860a66166a980260820.jpg

Apart from recording the camera footage do you plan any other mods?

16 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Hi Christian, very good advice with regard to going OTT it just needed to be a bit sooner.....🤣 My install isn't as elegant as yours. I looked at using Naviks but priorities for ICE were more to hifi. Like you, for the rear cam I took the sensible route and ran the cables through the boot to sit above the number plate (see pic). It's okay but a bit low really, hence the question about the image for practical parking and reversing. From past experience with other camera installs, I think the best position would be at the height of the boot spoiler above the 'L' for a better overall view. I just haven't summoned up the will to do it properly. A camera from an LS or RX might help make it look neat.

85052.thumb.jpg.c365d94a7a339860a66166a980260820.jpg

Apart from recording the camera footage do you plan any other mods?

Try the camera in multiple places, remember it is just to stop you reversing into a wall (lol). I went for the number plate one as it was least damaging (drilled behind the plate).

I love the car and still fun to drive.

I can't think of any other mods, but if anyone has anything else they have done, let me know.

I will take a Picture tomorrow.

Yes they can be great fun to drive. I've done a few mods to make it go a bit quicker, upgraded the hifi, added USB connectivity, etc but if you're happy with the stock audio set up then that's probably not for you. Remote sunroof operation would be a nice novelty. It can be done with a multi-function alarm or Lux-link if one could be found.

Are you running on a standard wheel tyre and suspension set up?

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update: Seems Chromecast don't work too well in cars, as well as having two Chromecasts fail, the Naviks failed also.

Have to say the support from Michael of Naviks is second to none.