Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Hunting Wabbits...

Tinonline

Good afternoon

I've just stepped in to this room as I'm to be found in the LS400 lounge...🙂

My wife's Jag S Type 4ltr has crossed the line and after 10 years of ownership and too many new parts...looks like a head gasket failure.

Reading through the manual...I'm not going to fix this and I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

I've had my eye on an SC for a while now...floated back and forwards and I'm in no doubt whilst not perfect...(what is?) the SC is a very good prospect.

Today I visited one for private sale in Reading. Asking price was £4,500 for a 87k 02 plate.

Summary

MOT due 4th June - previous advisory was exhaust leak

Lowered suspension

Non standard exhausts - sounded well throaty on idle but when wellied actually went quiet...what was the point of that...? Ground clearance very compromised.

Non standard wheels - tyres were good

Oil was old (very smelly) and halfway between min & max  

Coolant looked clean and didn't smell but needed a slight top-up

No cam belt service sticker and owner stated this had been done approx 6 years ago

Break discs looked very clean (brake fluid looked fresh)

Everything worked that I tested - there was damage in stitching to rear seat swab, headlight lenses were not clear

My conclusion was this was at the high price range for a non-standard car, particularly with an imminent MOT. I noted that the car had been warmed up prior to my arranged visit, there was a lack of receipts and no evidence of cam belt change. I didn't make an offer on this basis.   

Hunt goes on. 😊 

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

Good afternoon

I've just stepped in to this room as I'm to be found in the LS400 lounge...🙂

My wife's Jag S Type 4ltr has crossed the line and after 10 years of ownership and too many new parts...looks like a head gasket failure.

Reading through the manual...I'm not going to fix this and I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

I've had my eye on an SC for a while now...floated back and forwards and I'm in no doubt whilst not perfect...(what is?) the SC is a very good prospect.

Today I visited one for private sale in Reading. Asking price was £4,500 for a 87k 02 plate.

Summary

MOT due 4th June - previous advisory was exhaust leak

Lowered suspension

Non standard exhausts - sounded well throaty on idle but when wellied actually went quiet...what was the point of that...? Ground clearance very compromised.

Non standard wheels - tyres were good

Oil was old (very smelly) and halfway between min & max  

Coolant looked clean and didn't smell but needed a slight top-up

No cam belt service sticker and owner stated this had been done approx 6 years ago

Break discs looked very clean (brake fluid looked fresh)

Everything worked that I tested - there was damage in stitching to rear seat swab, headlight lenses were not clear

My conclusion was this was at the high price range for a non-standard car, particularly with an imminent MOT. I noted that the car had been warmed up prior to my arranged visit, there was a lack of receipts and no evidence of cam belt change. I didn't make an offer on this basis.   

Hunt goes on. 😊 

Well we look forward to the fruit of your search! 🚗. I'd avoid any Lexus V8 be it an LS or SC if the oil wasn't at the top, I've never owned one where the level has moved.  What are they like to drive?

• Like 1

I didn’t get as far as driving it...didn’t feel the urge. If it gets off the line my wife will be happy and with a roof down...delighted...I’ll get to drive more of a match to what I’m after...

• Like 1

Buy the best you can afford as everything should work if it’s been looked after ....full dealer service history can take the worry out of buying one but getting rare to find on a 10-15 year old car ☹️

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links