Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX economy

So can anyone tell me how many miles they are getting out of a full tank? It seems absolutely tiny and isn’t even lasting me for a weeks worth of commuting. Seems to get to 275 miles with 40-50 left on range....

appreciate other UX owners feedback 

On my first full tank I re-filled after 347 miles when it was showing about 60-70 miles range. It took 33.31 litres so that works out at 47.3 mpg. Am currently on 314 miles since that re-fill with 100 miles range showing. Driving has mainly been commuting in the Black Country with one trip to Nottingham on the first fill and one to Bristol on the second.

Must admit I miss the 600 mile range of my IS300h but as the other half still has it we can use it for long journeys. Only had to fill up once a month if I only used it for my commute. Fuel consumption appears to be better than the IS around town, slightly worse on the motorway but the tank is only 2/3 the size.

1 hour ago, Gary T said:

On my first full tank I re-filled after 347 miles when it was showing about 60-70 miles range. It took 33.31 litres so that works out at 47.3 mpg. Am currently on 314 miles since that re-fill with 100 miles range showing. Driving has mainly been commuting in the Black Country with one trip to Nottingham on the first fill and one to Bristol on the second.

Must admit I miss the 600 mile range of my IS300h but as the other half still has it we can use it for long journeys. Only had to fill up once a month if I only used it for my commute. Fuel consumption appears to be better than the IS around town, slightly worse on the motorway but the tank is only 2/3 the size.

Gary thanks for the reply

what mode do you drive in? I do a mix of motorway and short commutes but seem to only get 40mpg. Can’t get any better and wondering where I am going wrong. I would be happy with 350 out of a tank but 275 is horrendous

I am getting 50mpg + or - 0.5 since picking it up. I use eco mode, very light right foot, both pensioners so mostly short journeys. Average speed around 25mph. Total 500 miles.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AA3751 said:

what mode do you drive in? I do a mix of motorway and short commutes but seem to only get 40mpg. Can’t get any better and wondering where I am going wrong. I would be happy with 350 out of a tank but 275 is horrendous

I always use normal mode and don't drive especially carefully. I had been driving the IS for 5 years before this so may have picked up the ways of getting the best from a hybrid.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

I am getting 50mpg + or - 0.5 since picking it up. I use eco mode, very light right foot, both pensioners so mostly short journeys. Average speed around 25mph. Total 500 miles.

Interesting that you use eco mode as I was advised to drive in normal mode when aI had my  IS300h. I have tried a mixture of normal and eco modes with the 3 hybrids I have owned over 60000 miles and reckon using the normal mode on all of them gets betttmpg. I have been in a loan 68 plate CT200 for 10 days and that was showing between 54 and 56 mpg so am very surprised at the UX consumption. 

I found the the Lexus Hybrid driving technique video on YouTube very useful. 

2 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Interesting that you use eco mode as I was advised to drive in normal mode when aI had my  IS300h. I have tried a mixture of normal and eco modes with the 3 hybrids I have owned over 60000 miles and reckon using the normal mode on all of them gets betttmpg. I have been in a loan 68 plate CT200 for 10 days and that was showing between 54 and 56 mpg so am very surprised at the UX consumption. 

I found the the Lexus Hybrid driving technique video on YouTube very useful. 

eco mode should always produce better mpg however the difference can be very small. It obviously dampens the throttle response, and I guess some people overcompensate, but it also shut down the engine more than normal mode and reduces the air con strength to improve mpg.

I personally have always just used normal mode, I find eco too unresponsive for my liking.

The UX isn't going to get CT levels of economy, just because of the weight and aerodynamics, but it should be close to the IS.

3 hours ago, AA3751 said:

What kind of commutes are we talking? 

Motorway should see fairly reasonable MPG - possible up to around 45-48mpg. 

The short commutes will be killing it, if its something like 4-5 miles, 26-30mpg seems to be the norm

29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The short commutes will be killing it, if its something like 4-5 miles, 26-30mpg seems to be the norm

very short 1 or 2 miles maybe, my wife's Prius will do 60+ mpg on 4 miles journeys and the UX uses the same/improved hybrid system.

I do 10 miles each way in heavy traffic (23 sets of traffic lights!) and for the UX the individual trip comsumption meter reads about 45 mpg in the current weather. The IS gives that in summer, just over 40 when its cooler and sub 40 in winter. When I had an IS250 I was getting around 25.

• Like 1

275 miles from a tank for the UX does seem poor.

I usually use normal mode but have just run my NX in the eco mode for the last fortnight completing over 436 miles and refilled today recording 43.74 mpg with a mix of motorway and local shorter journeys. (The indicated average displayed was however 46.6mpg!).

It’s really annoying and I’m thinking maybe there’s something wrong with my UX! I do a 50 mile round trip on the motorway. No traffic. Gets 40mpg at max. This is normal mode and staying around 70-75. The car definitely improves mpg for shorter journeys which is how it’s set up I think - urban crossover. Il monitor it over the next few weeks as I’m 1000 miles in and maybe get it checked if no improvement 

1 hour ago, AA3751 said:

It’s really annoying and I’m thinking maybe there’s something wrong with my UX! I do a 50 mile round trip on the motorway. No traffic. Gets 40mpg at max. This is normal mode and staying around 70-75. The car definitely improves mpg for shorter journeys which is how it’s set up I think - urban crossover. Il monitor it over the next few weeks as I’m 1000 miles in and maybe get it checked if no improvement 

Probably, your right foot Ady.

Try staying around 60-65 and report back !!

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The UX only has a 43 litre tank, compared to 56 litres in the NX.

Still only equates to low-mid 30s in mpg overall - not great. I have never recorded as low in the NX. 

12 hours ago, Ken R said:

Still only equates to low-mid 30s in mpg overall - not great. I have never recorded as low in the NX. 

Totally dependant on the driver and type of journeys. Some NX owners only get low 30s and many never see 40s. Official WLTP figures put the NX around 38 and the UX at 47 for the four wheel drive variants and I'd expect the average of owners to achieve those figures.

1 hour ago, Gary T said:

Update on second tank full, I filled up after 353 miles with 57 miles range left, 33.51 litres which equates to 47.8 mpg.

That’s good, are you happy with that?

Yesterday i did about 60 miles on B roads and some A roads. Driving like the pensioner I am, in eco mode I am now on 51.8 over my first 600 miles. I am very happy with that.

one thing I have noticed about my UX is all the noises when the ignition is put on and today I was standing by the rear door when my wife turned off the car what a strange noise from the Battery in the boot. Between a screech and a scape.

1 hour ago, Richard1200 said:

That’s good, are you happy with that?

Yesterday i did about 60 miles on B roads and some A roads. Driving like the pensioner I am, in eco mode I am now on 51.8 over my first 600 miles. I am very happy with that.

one thing I have noticed about my UX is all the noises when the ignition is put on and today I was standing by the rear door when my wife turned off the car what a strange noise from the battery in the boot. Between a screech and a scape.

Yes, its not bad considering I like surprising people about how quick off the mark it is and the amount of stop start traffic I have to cope with. Would rather have a larger tank as I'm not used to visiting petrol stations so often but at least its only just over £40 a time rather than £70.

Not noticed much in the way of noises on startup, seems to make less than the IS anyway.

I have covered about 1200 miles and averaging  50 mpg. Motorway driving about 48mpg at 70/74mph, urban driving 53mpg.

My previous CT200h averaged 53mpg over 30000 miles. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

An update. Since the recent high temperatures my mpg has increased by around 10% to 54/55mpg - using the M5 at around 70/72 mph. I assume this to be less cold weather driving? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, Chris Krix said:

An update. Since the recent high temperatures my mpg has increased by around 10% to 54/55mpg - using the M5 at around 70/72 mph. I assume this to be less cold weather driving? 

Spot on, hybrids are much better mpg wise in warm weather. 

• Like 1

I've had my UX for 4 months now. I do drive economically in general as it makes almost no difference to journey times but like to feel the acceleration/power at least once in every journey. All the mpg figures I quote are computed by the car so are probably optimistic by 5%?? and have been obtained in reasonably warm weather (seems to be significant factor for hybrid cars)

The UX seems to be particularly tailored to driving at 30-50mph rather than motorway 70mph blasts or town stop/start journeys. I have a 25 mile commute each way but have the choice of continuous dual carriageway or continuous A road or a third route which is a mixture of both.  The dual carriageway route is usually  limited by traffic to an average of around 65 mph and this returns 50mpg each day. If I choose the A road route, average speed is around 40 mph and the car consistently returns 60mpg without any particular effort on my part and even gets close to 70 on odd days. The mixed route is somewhere in between these figures, but if I choose to divert through town centre, the consumption is counter-intuitively worse, more like 45mpg. We also have a CT200 and this also has the best economy on long runs (50+ mpg) rather than town driving as I had been LED to expect. The UX replaced an IS300 F Sport which generally  returned average figures around 40 mpg (winter) and 50mpg (warm weather) which I always considered exceptional for a fast, luxurious car.

To sum up the UX so far, it is a lovely, satisfying car to own and drive. The fuel economy emphatically betters that of our CT and performance is markedly better. Ride/handling is nicely balanced and you feel like you are driving a top quality car. It's so alluring that I volunteer to drive whenever possible! As widely reported the sat nav interface doesn't make the most of the 10 inch screen and there is some annoying logic employed in the infotainment system but most cars have different compromises and these could be fixed with updated software if Lexus turned their mind to it.

• Like 1