Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It looks smart, well found.

I see that it's in Dundee so I'd be interested to know what it looks like underneath, especially if it's life has been spent north of the border.  Or as it's low mileage then maybe it's been a garage queen and will be relatively rust free?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

It looks smart, well found.

I see that tt's in Dundee so I'd be interested to know what it looks like underneath, especially if it's life has been spent north of the border.  Or as it's low mileage then maybe it's been a garage queen and will be relatively rust free?

i could not trace MOT  History,Lee.

• Like 1

Alarm bells ring when .Gov says 'There is a Problem'......seller ( Private?) looks like a garage to me, needs to explain what's going on with reg trace.

paul m.

It does look excellent but as it's pre-facelift I think the price is too high.  Also we should never consider the low mileage on these to be something that demands a premium. It would be interesting to see it in the flesh as photos taken inside under lights can be deceiving. Overall looks very nice though.  I see the black Celsior at the dealer where I bought mine has been reduced to £5,500.  Having seen it, it's absolutely beautiful, mint black paint with perfect chrome wheels.   I was very tempted myself when I saw it!

• Like 1

17 years old and only 50k miles. That's 3k/year if you're lucky, much more likely is it's spent a lot of time not being driven. Unless it comes with evidence of 6-monthly oil changes during the periods of no or very little driving I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

2 hours ago, m4rkw said:

17 years old and only 50k miles. That's 3k/year if you're lucky, much more likely is it's spent a lot of time not being driven. Unless it comes with evidence of 6-monthly oil changes during the periods of no or very little driving I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Whilst I agree with you and understand the sentiment you make, these engines are incredibly robust, capable of 500,000 miles. There may well be wear because of lack of oil changes, but realistically it will outlast any new owner, probably without problem. I think I would be more concerned about changes to anti freeze and brake fluid, where any damage can’t really be measured.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Whilst I agree with you and understand the sentiment you make, these engines are incredibly robust, capable of 500,000 miles. There may well be wear because of lack of oil changes, but realistically it will outlast any new owner, probably without problem. I think I would be more concerned about changes to anti freeze and brake fluid, where any damage can’t really be measured.

I agree and doubt there will be any appreciable wear...in fact there won’t be. Needs a thorough service and some mileage...it’ll be good as new. Given that it’s a straight car...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, m4rkw said:

My car as 40k on the clock and is 21 years old  the engine is mint and the oil is changed every two years so you need to rethink your theory.

I have owned these ls 400 s for twenty five years and do not subscribe to these sitting about doing nothing theories on harm to the engines,the engine is built to stand extremes in temprature and environmental conditions so why would not being used have a detrimental effect.

19 hours ago, The-Acre said:

It does look excellent but as it's pre-facelift I think the price is too high.  Also we should never consider the low mileage on these to be something that demands a premium. It would be interesting to see it in the flesh as photos taken inside under lights can be deceiving. Overall looks very nice though.  I see the black Celsior at the dealer where I bought mine has been reduced to £5,500.  Having seen it, it's absolutely beautiful, mint black paint with perfect chrome wheels.   I was very tempted myself when I saw it!

If the Celsior of which you speak was two grand less then I'd be asking for details.  Definitely too high a price for pre-facelift.

1 minute ago, ambermarine said:

My car as 40k on the clock and is 21 years old this the engine is mint and the oil is changed every two years so you need to rethink your theory.

I'd also add that the ad does say it had a major Lexus survey at 49k.  Still too expensive though.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:17 AM, runsgrateasanut said:

I`m not serious mi amigo.I am more than happy with my GS450H .

I WAS SITTING IN MY VILLA IN ANDALUCIA,IT WAS RAINING AND COLD AND i WAS IN REALITY BEING MISCHIEVOUS and flagged it up to invite comment. I perceive that there is something not quite right with the car and its advertisement,but I cannot put my finger on it.

No doubt that others members will play Sherlock Holmes and solve the mystery for me..

Today the sun is out, the temperatures have risen and all is once again well with the world!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

I and trust this time you have remembered to activate your solar charger on the Lexus before you left this time John 😜, Cheers, Roger

I actually remembered last time Roger, but forgot how to connect the two items I held in my hands! 

I had a mild stroke 4 years ago and very ocasionally do suffer memory lapses.

However, this time I did remember everything and so the GS  is indeed sitting comfortably with the solar charger connected.

Enjoy your upcoming holiday.

Regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

This car was actually originally advertised for £7995 and has been on the market 6 - 8 weeks having been reduced twice.

The mystery continues.

Was this car originally advertised from Edinburgh last year, perhaps under a different reg and resulted in some correspondence on here?

Having looked at the car in the link from the opening post I did notice the following from looking at the pictures.

The picture of the engine bay shows rust on all the bolts along the front slam panel which given the age of the car and the salt used on UK roads may be normal but then you begin to think a little more .....what about the underside if these are on top.

The pictures below are the shot from the advertisement, the other is mine at another 7 years older. Japan is kind to cars and given the choice I would buy JDM models everytime.

E48C1450-8B5A-4503-8F5E-C651D5E5FADE.jpeg

CB1AE99D-9FA9-4D5F-B5B2-5D6FA3CC361B.jpeg

• Like 3

I saw this car online on the BCA (British car Auction) website a couple or so months ago. It caught my attention due to the full Lex history and low miles, and had it not been at their Kinross site which is 500 miles and an 8 hour drive away, I'd have been interested.

Now to the current seller in Dundee, obviously a dealer from the spiel in the ad, the pro photos and the garage background. They probably picked this car up from BCA for relative peanuts. That they are trying to pretend to be a private seller makes me suspicious that they are trying to sell this without a dealer warranty and consumer protection. If that's the case, I'd walk away and avoid this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, genius149 said:

If the Celsior of which you speak was two grand less then I'd be asking for details.  Definitely too high a price for pre-facelift.

It is a tad overpriced, but having seen it it's like a new car, above and below. You simply wouldn't find one that looks like it elsewhere.  I also reckon he'd take 5k for it as he's had it awhile.

Makes you wonder if that Car was in the floods of a few years back . Condensation causes those bolt heads to rust. Surpised that a little black paint hasn't been added but definately need to look underside. 

Can't understand why the Reg doesn't come up on DVLA.

Talking of imports, those two for sale by Abdul N don't seme to be shifting and reasonably priced. Wonder why that could be?

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Makes you wonder if that Car was in the floods of a few years back . Condensation causes those bolt heads to rust. Surpised that a little black paint hasn't been added but definately need to look underside. 

Can't understand why the Reg doesn't come up on DVLA.

Talking of imports, those two for sale by Abdul N don't seme to be shifting and reasonably priced. Wonder why that could be?

Flood damage had crossed my mind too. A category N ? (but this should have been stated) 

Unless we can identify the correct reg no., we cannot look at MOT history.

The seller has been sufficiently reluctant and perhaps devious too, to make me steer well away from him.

is it just flood damage ? to worry about

Am I not thinking right or was there also some relatively recent 2011 radiation fall out too a while back

Malc