Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LS400 owner in Bucks

Benaywood

I just wanted to introduce myself and my new wheels.. I've traded a Type S Honda Civic with 50mpg and crashy suspension for this slightly tatty looking, thirsty (ish) but magic carpet riding er 'beauty'?.  It was on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago and it was the second one I'd looked at.  The owner was a lovely chap who'd had it 14 years and done most of the 200,000+ miles early in its life trundling up and down the M4 where it's now spending the second phase of its existence. It has 21 stamps and all the receipts from Lexus, the last one in Feb 2018  so hopefully in an OK mechanical condition but is due the 'big' belt change as the last one was approx. 70K but 9-10 years ago.  There's also a slight blowing from the exhaust (which was replaced a couple of years ago) near the front  but it sort of seems to be most evident just under the front wheel arch and makes a slightly odd flutter sound when I switch her/him/it off.

I have a list of jobs that need doing to spruce it up cosmetically, first up is the wheels which are going to go to a place up the road from me in Chesham (OSR) assuming my funds don't take too much of a beating in the next couple of weeks.  Then try and do something with the scratch in the door, I just want to make it shiny and covered in the interim if anyone has any tips?.. I've been quoted over £300 from chipex which I can't quite justify yet as its over 1/3 of the cost of the car!!

First up is an MOT and service at Japex next week not far from me. I'd told myself that if it needed anything expensive doing I'd walk away and sell it off but it has totally got under my skin, I think I'll remortgage to get anything done... I've never experienced driving and feeling my shoulders relax!  I love that it's so quiet and calming, even despite my exhaust I can really listen to an audiobook and I feel I just glide everywhere. I've absolutely changed my driving style which infuriates the cars stacking up behind me but I've averaged 31-32mpg for the last two tanks of fuel which is pretty decent..

So I may be asking novice questions and probably looking mostly for reassurance that I've done the right thing.  I've been keeping a close 'lurk' on the LS400/460 forums so hold you all entirely responsible for any financial peril I get in to from now on with you all having so wholeheartedly recommended them!

I'll update with any news and progress as I go..

Ben

Lex side.jpg

Lex scratch.jpg

Lex scratch 2.jpg

Lex park.jpg

Wheel 2.jpg

Wheel 1 .jpg

hi welcome to the Ls400 Forum

The cambelt and waterpump should last at least 100k miles and 10years or so !  No rush then for that I guess ( was the waterpump changed ? )

You don't give us the reg no. for us to DVLA check the MOTs etc :wink:

Nor tell us what work has been carried out etc ...  the UCAs are relatively expensive to replace and OEM is best for longevity second time around, be it from Lexus/Toyota UK or Amayama or Rockauto supplied ( Blueprint are ok but don't have the longevity ) ...............  I guess Lexus have replaced them all by now as you say it's had all Lexus stamps for all work, the originals probably wouldn't have lasted 200+ k miles .....  so that's the huge expense out of the way for another 100 / 150k miles

The exhaust tends to blow and on mine, three times now over 220k miles, it's been welded at @£40 a time

The wheels always go poor but at least you don't need them looking good to have a serviceable car, nor that scrape fixed for £300  ( seems a lot tbh )

Enjoy the most wonderful motoring money can buy  .......  this Mk3 I've had 8 years and just under 100k miles, but this is my third Ls400, a Mk1 and a Mk2 and been my main car for some 18 years  .........  wouldn't change her for the world

My second car is a 56 plate Honda Legend which now had for 3 years approaching and 20k miles in my gf's driving ......  I MUCH PREFER my Ls400 :yahoo:

Enjoy

Malc

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Exhaust blow is normally the cat to Y pipe flanges (the only parts not made from stainless steel).

The alloy wheels are another common fault with corrosion, if you have them refurbed and powder coated they should last years.

The five speed transmission on your model helps with fuel consumption and 280 bhp 😀

Hi Ben and welcome,

£300 sounds extortionate for a door repair. A good indie body shop should charge approx half that amount although a bit of haggling may be required as door usually need the paint "feathered" to blend with the wing and rear door.  Might be worth finding out the cost of a replacement door skin.

Thanks Chaps,

Malc - UCA - Upper control arms?  I'll have a look to see whether they've ever been attended to, the reg is in the pics (I also have become addicted to history checking..), almost a 'vanity plate' for my initials so another bargain!  History looks excellent to my eyes and no corrosion picked up which is a bit of a win for me, I'll share the work done and see if there's anything anyone recommends.  And it sounds hopeful what you and Steve suggest re the 'blow', and it tallies with what the previous owner suggested so hopefully Japex won't be too hard on my wallet. I'll get another opinion on the door as it will bug me, I also need to get that annoying bit of trim that forms the 'two tone' look, the bit between the rear door and wheel arch has fallen /been knocked off.

They do seem a bit of a steal, I drove home this evening and the sound from the audio system was so good I thought if it does ever conk out I'll hang on to it as a sit in stereo.  I bought this car for less than what Honda quoted me for a new horn for my Civic..

7 hours ago, Benaywood said:

the reg is in the pics

OMG it's my dotage .......  just too unobservant some days :whistling:

My Mk1 was also pearlescent white, a lovely colour BUT rust started to get a hold as they do on the Mk1

Don't think rust is ever a problem on the Mk4 's ..............  the UCAs are however 'orribly expensive if and when they need replacing

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links