Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 RX350 auto locking query

So if I exit the RX with the key and walk away without locking the car then within a minute or so the car automatically locks itself, a useful security feature.

But recently on several occasions, when I was installing a digital radio set up and beavering away with just the front passenger door open and the keys on the seat, I’d hear the car mechanism try to auto lock and then the (v. noisy) car alarm would trigger. If I make sure that another door or the tailgate is also open then no attempted auto locking and no alarm noise!  Doesn’t do this if drivers door left open....

Has anybody else experienced this or know what’s behind the behaviours? Another concern is that if I happen to leave the keys in the car and close all doors then it will self lock thus stranding me! Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Michael

I am puzzled by this as I did not think that any Lexus had such a feature, and certainly not one of your vintage. By default, if your car is locked and you then unlock it, if none of the doors are open within a minute or so the car will lock itself again... but that's the limits of the standard system.

Could it be that this was an aftermarket add on?

Is your car an import?

• Thanks 1

Fairly certain mine operates just like Daniel says.  I've gone out to it many a morning to find I'd forgotten to lock it the night before.  Age is a terrible thing!

• Like 1

+1

It will auto lock if you unlock the vehicle and don't open a door within 30 seconds. Otherwise there is no auto lock feature that I'm aware of.

However if there is such a feature then is the courtesy light working when you open the passenger door? Could be the door sensor not working correctly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback and info. Just went out to the car and I think Colin has it (cheers Colin) as opening the passenger door does not bring the courtesy lamps on. 

So next question is location of the sensor or is it a push button.  Will look tomorrow.

A great forum  thank you👍👍

Not 100% sure on the RX but normally the sensor/micro switch is built into the door lock rather than an old fashioned separate push button switch - which is nice and neat but a pain if it fails.

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Not 100% sure on the RX but normally the sensor/micro switch is built into the door lock rather than an old fashioned separate push button switch - which is nice and neat but a pain if it fails.

Look what I've found! Am hoping this is the source of the problem. Will try to remove and test when the rain stops. Thanks again..

20190508_080036.jpg

The courtesy light door sensor push switch shown above was the problem, and the fix doesn’t require a new switch.

It transpires that the switch(shown in the pic above) is single pole with the circuit completed via the bolt holding the push switch to the body acting as ground/earth - over time grunge and other materials come between the bolt where it makes contact with the switch body.

I undid the bolt with a star drive, cleaned it up and the metal plate on the switch body it mates with. Cycled the ignition once and voila, the courtesy light now comes on when the door is opened, and, with ignition on, the door specific open warning on the panel also lights up (hadn’t noticed that was not working duh!). 

Thanks for all the assistance, was a  2 minute job to fix. No more loud false alarms going off.

Michael

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links