Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Auto transmission problems - can anyone confirm what it might be?

Gnasher

Hi all, long time lurker but not really posted and looking for any info on the following symptoms if possible - I promise I've searched...

1. EML on - code P0500 Powertrain Vehicle Speed Sensor. I've not got the kit to clear it so haven't tried.

2. Noise on startup that disappears after 30 seconds or so - not bearing noise, almost like somethings rubbing.

3. No drive (except when it's making the above noise - as soon as the noise disappears, no drive). I've only let it creep on tickover as to hopefully not cause further damage.

It was driving fine until I stopped, left it for 4-5 hours, got back in and that's what was happening. No loud clunk of anything breaking etc and I'm stumped> So does anyone have any clues as to why it's doing this? My searches have brought up things like broken flex plate and all sorts of other possible causes but I'm out of my depth. My initial thought was the auto box is goosed but this sensor seems has muddied the waters as nowhere seems to say it could cause no drive - unless it's the goosed auto box that's causing the sensor reading? Not a clue - anyway, all advice/ideas would be gratefully received.

Ta in advance.

First thing is to check the transmission fluid level, colour and smell.

Not familiar with the IS transmission but normal procedure to check fluid level is.....

To check the level start the engine, move the gear selector slowly into every position twice then return to park position. With the engine still running remove the transmission dipstick, wipe it clean, reinsert and remove then check the fluid level at the “Cold” mark.

Colour should be a dark cherry red and when smelt there should be no burnt smell, I understand the correct fluid is Toyota Type IV.

Worst scenario is a faulty transmission or torque converter.

Sorry, forgot to say I'd checked - the fluid is deffo not cherry red but doesn't smell burnt. It's somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd notch (of 4) on the transmission dipstick. The noise changed with engine revs so as you say, could be the torque converter or transmission. Definitely from the front end of the gearbox.

Ta for the speedy reply.