Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 Radiator Replacement

1 hour ago, Tulpen said:

My 460 is coming up to the 160,000km (100,000 miles) point and, having read about the possible radiator problems, I decided to have the rad changed at the next service in August. The first thing the garage asked was 'Why?'. I explained what I'd read and they told me they had never seen that problem here. However, they said they were more than happy to take my money if I insisted.

A couple of weeks ago the Service Manager phoned and said that, because there are so few 430s and 460s in Holland, he had contacted Lexus in Germany and Belgium to see if they had encountered the problem. The consensus of opinion seems to be that, if the rad is drained flushed and re-filled with the correct fluid at the recommended intervals, there should be no problem.

On the 430 the failure is on the outside of the radiator/oil cooler threads rusting, it isn't related to the coolant inside the radiator. There have been many failures from owners who have full Lexus service history.

008.jpg

012.jpg

I am not suggesting for one moment anyone else should follow my strategy [head in sand] for dealing with this thorny problem. I am simply sharing the results of my research.

My circumstances include a full Lexus service history, a very low annual mileage, local use only, this is a second car and I have the money to make repairs if it fails. If disaster strikes I carry the number of a reasonable breakdown man who would truck it straight to Lexus Guildford.

When I started a post about this on the USA forum there was not a single reply. All reported failures amongst their LS430s do not involve the ATF but arise from the plastic/metal seam splitting with a loss of engine coolant which is a familiar failure on all rads of this generic type. 

When I booked this car in for a service and to have the rad renewed a few years ago Lexus phoned when up on the ramp because the technician was asking why are we doing this. I let them talk me out of the job.

If I were relying on this 15 year old car to travel significant distances I would have the rad changed now together with the thermostat and all hoses and drain and fill the ATF. 

Just my tuppence worth.

15 minutes ago, GrahamG said:

When I started a post about this on the USA forum there was not a single reply. All reported failures amongst their LS430s do not involve the ATF but arise from the plastic/metal seam splitting with a loss of engine coolant which is a familiar failure on all rads of this generic type. 

Would depend on which state but I'd not expect vehicles in California to suffer from external corrosion of the oil cooler pipes, unlike the UK with a lot more rain and road salt in winter accelerating the corrosion.

Not totally unheard of in the US - several reports of Toyota and Lexus vehicles suffering from this issue - not just an LS problem.

I think I have been reading on here some comments that it's a common problem on certain Mercedes too

AND like Lexus probably NOT acknowledged at the Centre

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I think I have been reading on here some comments that it's a common problem on certain Mercedes too

AND like Lexus probably NOT acknowledged at the Centre

Malc

Mercedes W211 series had the problem.The really good Indies, like Ollie at PCS in Horndean knew all about it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

found this topic but where can a radiator for the UK model of LS430 facelift (2004 build) be ordered? Mine jas same number like the same like in the first pictures of this topic. But the fitting on the top left looks different

I can't find such a radiator on rockauto. On eBay all answers are negativ.

Thank you.

IMG_20190530_193120.jpg

IMG_20190530_193116.jpg

Mine has the letters 9 F. Thats different to that one of the topic owner.

Same number but same fitting?:

https://allegro.pl/oferta/chlodnica-wody-lexus-ls430-lift-04-422132-3836-8033515376?

I was told to buy eBay item 152429318586:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIT-FOR-LEXUS-LS430-AUTOMATIC-MANUAL-RADIATOR-2000-2006-2-YEAR-WARRANTY/152429318586?

But this one has same fitting with different number:

https://allegro.pl/oferta/chlodnica-wody-lexus-ls430-4-3-v8-lift-3842-6717626202

Thank you

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links