Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VSC and EML lights. Battery?

Thanks Noo Bee and Declan.

Its 2197 - me mis-remembering.

Sounds like a swap over of sensors may be a good move. Does it need a special tool to remove the sensors?

I understood that using the car with a faulty sensor 1  would more likely burn valves than ruin the cat as it tends to cause the engine to run lean.

Can anyone confirm the part number for the sensor 1 please?

I believe the Lexus part number is  89467-30010 but you might want to double check this applies to your car.

I have not replaced mine so I can't comment as regards difficulty.

Before you decide on replacement, make sure that you have not got an air leak at the manifold.

Dec.

Bank 2 is on the passenger side (UK models)

Below is a link to the tutorial I made when I replaced both sensors on both banks

The tutorial will give you the part numbers - these were bought and used on my old 2007 model which I believe is the model you have. You do need a special tool to remove the sensors. The tool will remove both of them - I am not sure about the downstream ones, to be honest I would not think they are the issue.

To do this job it will take you a good 2 hours to do both - If you are deciding on changing the sensors then its best to do them both at the same time as they have both in the car for the same time and sods law that when you replace one then the other wil go. Bank 1 is the easiest one to do. Bank 2 takes more as theres more "bits" to remove and a bit more fiddly to get at bits but easy to do.

The sensors are the same for both sides although there will be different part numbers for each and this reflects two different sensor wire lengths. The one in the tutorial will work for both sides as the wire is long enough to reach installed port to plug on both sides.

To check for an air leak you can LIGHTLY spray something like brake cleaner around the parts of the inlet manifold that supply the offending bank while the engine is ticking over.

Pay particular attention to any joints or pipe/hose connection points.  If there is a noticeable change in engine speed at any point you may have found the leak. Go lightly and methodically.

Enjoy!

Dec.

Quick update: I've checked for air leaks and can't find any so have ordered two sensors and the socket from sparkplugs.co.uk.

They should arrive tomorrow so I'll start soaking the old sensors in releasing fluid 

Well this is turning into a real PITA of a job.

All good down to undoing clip on the wires to the sensor. It is awkward and my wife's hands were able to get in and squeeze the clips on the plug where my lumps of meat just would not go. once the clips were released it almost fell out.

Now the hard part: Removing the sensor. Soaked overnight in releasing fluid and using the correct socket with a tightly fitting ring spanner on the top to turn it and i began to get movement; at first I thought I'd begun to free it but closer inspection reveals that the socket is rounding the corners off the sensor nut 😠

Ideas?

I'm ready to sell the bloody thing! I've loved this car for 2 years and 45K miles and now...

Well, I had to admit defeat and book it in at a local garage for next week as I couldn't risk stranding the car on the drive.

I have four cars ranging from a 12 year old Honda Jazz to a 49 year old Rover and have been working on cars for more than forty years and have only been beaten once before.

Thanks all fro the information and support.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

The local garage charge me £75+VAT to change both upstream sensors (that I supplied from Sparkplugs.co.uk £176.54 inc Socket) which I think is very reasonable.

I haven't had chance to speak to the mechanic yet to find out how easy or difficult he found it.

Only one sensor was bad so if anyone is on a budget and wants to offer me a few beer tokens for the working s/h one feel free.

It will be nice to have my Lexus back after a couple of days of doing my 80 mile round trip commute in the wife's 12 year old Jazz.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final update for now:

Once again my thanks to all who contributed.

I spoke to the mechanic who changed the sensors who said the bank 2 sensor (nearside) was difficult and he used a shorter version of the socket with the side out of it with 2 extensions, 2 knuckle joints and a 3 foot breaker bar to remove it. Bank 1 was much easier.

It took a while before the MPG came back to where it had been but I'm now seeing an indicated low 40's MPG again on my daily commute (40 miles each way of which 35 is generally clear motorway travelled at an indicated 75 MPH (true GPS 70).

So, apart from the unnecessary Battery it cost me £266.56 inc VAT.

My Car has been with me for 2 years and 50K miles and has only had the sensors, Battery and a water pump amd headlight bulbs(plus consumables - servicing costs and tyres etc.)

My app indicates running costs (depreciation excluded) 21ppm. not bad for a reasonably quick petrol saloon especially compared to 23ppm for a diesel Superb I had previously and an XFS Diesel Jag 24ppm

• Like 1