Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinions from you experts on the GS250 or GS in general

Audrey

Hi Guys,

Apologies I have just joined the Lexus forum as I am planning to buy a 2012/2013 GS250 and I want to get some opinions from you guys on its reliability.

i hope I have posted in a suitable section by the way so if I haven't, I do apologise.

i have never owned a Lexus before. If I buy  a GS250 of this age and say with under 60k miles, do you guys foresee any issues I will be encountering with the car in the near future?  What kind of issues have you been experiencing with the GS over the years?  Any engine, electrical or other issues?  Do I absolutely need to buy one with Lexus full service history ?  Should I only buy one from a delearship?

Would really appreciate some advice as I have been looking for a used mid size car to get with a generous amount of equipment and rather than getting a German, I am hoping a GS would give the least amount of issues.

Thanks a lot in advance

A

Hi Audrey, I think you should not have any reliability issue worries, GS is in top 10 cars in recent survey for customer satisfaction, reliability, comfort, in fact I think it was marked down only on infotainment friendliness. I have my GS for almost a year now and love it, apart form the issue I have with the driver seat base (I built a thread about it) so check it is not worn on yours but so far I have not heard any one else with the same issue.

GS250 is lighter than GS450h therefore it should be close in mpg, especially on motorway, it will still be comfortable and quite and much cheaper to buy than the GS450h, it's only acceleration that will be worth but, you will have a bigger boot! I am not 100% sure but I think GS250 has a proper auto GBox compared to CVT in GS450h and some people do not like it (CVT), I think it is ok in GS450h but I would struggle with it in GS300h.

I don't think you will regret, just take it for a test drive and if you can take it to motorway, it is very comfortable car! What car did you have before or still have?

Oh, make sure all Pressure Monitor sensors work!

Hope it somehow helps, keep us updated Audrey.

• Like 1

Hi Audrey

I think most owners, certainly those who buy used, are attracted by the reputation Lexus have for reliability. This does not mean they never go wrong or can't throw up big bills but they are as reliable as anything else and more reliable than most.

Don't go in blind, check service history (can be Lexus or independent but was it regular and on-time - by mileage or date), check MOT records are clear of failures and advisories, condition (does it look well cared for), I think the fitted tyres (mixed brands or no-names) are always a clue to the attitude of the previous owner. 

Expensive items to pay attention to are shock absorbers and exhaust, shocks are Lexus only and not cheap, same for the exhaust but you can get custom made replacements a bit cheaper.

The safest option would be approved used from Lexus but I'd imagine that 2012/2013 would be on the cusp of what would be on offer and may be more than you want to pay.

They're not as plentiful as the main marques so you might need to be patient or prepare to travel to find the right car for you.

Anyhow, good luck with your search and let us know how you get on 🙂

• Like 1

One more thing to add to your initial post, you said the car will be under 60k miles, please remember that 60k miles (or a 6 years service) is the most expensive one as spark plugs has to be changed, so check if this is has been done or negotiate the price accordingly. 

I am as @bobmc above, if the car has cheap tyres or different between left and right I would walk away or be much more pedantic with checking everything else, condition, MOT history, service history etc.

• Like 1

Reliability is not an issue on Lexus as already mentioned and don't be sold with low miles, as long as car was serviced it does not add value for Lexus. Secondly, higher mileage car are more likely been spending their time on motorway just cruising, where very low mileage cars would have been limping in the city all their life. Mine now has 186000 and I have all the paperwork from new - not that it was maintained properly, but it literally never had an issue.

When it comes to GS250 in particular I consider it under-powered and would rather scrape the barrel for GS450... even the higher mileage one. GS250 has same engine as mk2/mk3 IS250, but is larger and heavier car. I consider my 2006 IS250 on the edge of being sluggish adjusted for the age and it is lightest out of 3 cars using this engine.

@Vlady 60k service is most expensive you are right ~£645 all inclusive, but the spark-plugs alone are not that great of a deal - I think Lexus quotes ~£300 (I would rather do full service obviously), but is not like "expensive expensive" fix like on other cars where some part goes and you have to £1800 just for a part.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.  Your comments are all very useful and I have written them in a notebook so I can ask the right questions when viewing the cars.  Seriously I am hopeless when it comes to buying a used car.  Now I know at the 6th service, there will be sparkplugs to change and will ask if they have already been done etc.  It;s a very good point about the tyres,  if the car has different tyres, then I should probably avoid that one as its owner probably don't look after the car much.  

I did think about getting one of the Hybrid GS but I had a Prius years ago and its gearbox failed me when it reached 6 years old.  That kind of put me off a little bit on the Hybrids now.

I currently lease a Volvo S90 and will have to hand give it back in a few months, so I am starting to look for a car to keep going and I don't fancy leasing again.  

If you don't mind me asking a question on the Sat nav, I saw some used GS have a really wide Nat Nav screen.  Is that an optional extra?  If so, what is the name of the Sat Nav which comes with a wide screen?   I presume the standard sat nav on a GS 250 would just have a standard 8-inch type of screen, ie not the really wide one?

Thanks all.  Much appreciated.

A

8 hours ago, Audrey said:

If you don't mind me asking a question on the Sat nav, I saw some used GS have a really wide Nat Nav screen.  Is that an optional extra?  If so, what is the name of the Sat Nav which comes with a wide screen?   I presume the standard sat nav on a GS 250 would just have a standard 8-inch type of screen, ie not the really wide one?

The Premier grade comes as standard with the larger screen however that grade was only available in the 450h drivetrain, not the 250.

The GS250 Luxury and F Sport grades had the option to upgrade to the Mark Levinson premium sound system which includes the 12" screen.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:14 AM, Audrey said:

Hi Guys,

Apologies I have just joined the Lexus forum as I am planning to buy a 2012/2013 GS250 and I want to get some opinions from you guys on its reliability.

i hope I have posted in a suitable section by the way so if I haven't, I do apologise.

i have never owned a Lexus before. If I buy  a GS250 of this age and say with under 60k miles, do you guys foresee any issues I will be encountering with the car in the near future?  What kind of issues have you been experiencing with the GS over the years?  Any engine, electrical or other issues?  Do I absolutely need to buy one with Lexus full service history ?  Should I only buy one from a delearship?

Would really appreciate some advice as I have been looking for a used mid size car to get with a generous amount of equipment and rather than getting a German, I am hoping a GS would give the least amount of issues.

Thanks a lot in advance

A

have you considered a later model  MK3 GS300?  ..they are quicker and most importantly have more torque to shift the weight of the car when compared to the GS250's engine. but thats not saying the 250's engine is not adequate..mpg figures are near identical to the 250 aswell.. road tax is higher for the 300 but initial purchase price is cheaper so money saved on initial purchase price can be used to pay for road tax and still have more for a holiday ... worth test driving one for the fun of it to compare to the GS250 ... i also feel the MK3 GS's have a better build quality than the MK4's in my opinion but that's just me..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noby76 said:

i also feel the MK3 GS's have a better build quality than the MK4's in my opinion but that's just me..

Certainly worth checking out both series but for me the series IV has a much better chassis for better handling and ride quality. Improved in every way. The series III was just a minor update mechanically on the series II, which itself was out of date.

Series III also designed/launched at the low point in Toyota reliability together with poor engine designs that suffer carbon build up, VVTi issues, timing chain wear - the old 450h suffers transmission and Battery issues along with similar engine issues.

• Like 2

Ok sure.  Thanks for the latest posts.  They all offered valuable information for me.  I learned a lot in the last few days.  I definitely haven't ruled out the MK3s because two of my friends had them although one of them told me his GS300 suffered from suspension problem.  The other was telling me he could barely put his briefcase in the boot of his 450h.

I am leaning towards getting a car from a Lexus dealer just so that I can have a one-year (I think) warranty and the free breakdown cover for peace of mind.  But knowing me, if I see private one that I like (ie, it looks to be in good conditions from a paint work and interior point of view, I will probably take the risks and buy from private or from a "street" dealer.  When it comes to cars, I tend to buy with the heart rather than common sense.  

By the way, has anyone out there bought some warranty for your car before?  If so, which company do you use if you buy your own warranty?   I have never bought warranty before.  Is it worth getting it?  Thanks all.

A

On 5/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, Audrey said:

By the way, has anyone out there bought some warranty for your car before?  If so, which company do you use if you buy your own warranty?   I have never bought warranty before.  Is it worth getting it?  Thanks all.

If the vehicle qualifies the Lexus extended warranty is good in that is covers virtually everything - there are certainly cheaper options out there but many have large exclusion lists or capped labour rates which don't allow you to get repairs at a Lexus dealer.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/#hero

On 5/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, ColinBarber said:

If the vehicle qualifies the Lexus extended warranty is good in that is covers virtually everything - there are certainly cheaper options out there but many have large exclusion lists or capped labour rates which don't allow you to get repairs at a Lexus dealer.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/#hero

If bought from a Lexus Dealer, then existing faults are covered by the Warranty.Most if not all other Market Warranties will not cover faults which existed at the time of purchase.

You haven't said what your budget is but there's a nice looking 2013 GS F-Sport, with the Mark Levinson Audio/Satnav upgrade, with less than 30,000 miles for sale at Lexus Tunbridge Wells for £15K

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25-F-Sport-Mark-Levinson-qxbzk48

And Lexus Canterbury have 2012 GS Luxury, again with the Mark Levinson upgrade, just over 30,000 miles for £13.5K

BTW, don't expect too much from the Lexus SatNav, infotainment system. While the sound quality is very good, the practicality and usability of the system is generally accepted to be inferior to other manufacturers. If buying from a Lexus dealer, you might want to try and negotiate updating the SatNav to the latest version as part of the sale as it's (I think) £159 otherwise.

The additional warranty is £1095/£90pm for two years so that would get you a total of 3 years warranty and breakdown cover but be aware that this means you also need to service the car through Lexus over the 3 years. Having said that, Lexus do a payment plan to cover servicing as well so that might be worth considering if you're looking to have worry-free motoring for 3 years. I believe you can continue to buy extended cover after that - up to 10 years old if I recall correctly - but the current website is not clear on this so you might need to check with the dealer.

The Lexus warranty has a good reputation but do bare in mind that 'consumable' and 'expected-life' parts may not be covered such as brake components and the exhaust.   

A point to note about the sat-nav screen on the GS250. 

The 12" screen and the 8" screen are the same size. 

I know, that made no sense...

On pre-facelift (ie 2015 and earlier, ALL GS250s) cars with the 12" screen, the screen is split into 2/3rds and 1/3rd sections. The actual sat-nav map is NEVER  bigger than 2/3rds of the screen, whereas on the 8" display it takes up the whole display - ie basically you get the same sat-nav display regardless. On the bigger screen you can have  your trip computer, music or climate panel alongside the sat-nav, but you do NOT get a bigger map display. Only post-facelift cars get "full-screen" satnav on the larger display. 

In other words, don't limit your choices by demanding the bigger screen only to be disappointed. Personally I don't find the "second panel" thing in the large display particularly useful, because you have to pull the panel into the primary panel to do anything useful (eg browse a list of artists on memory stick can not be done in the secondary panel). I think the smaller display gives away less in functionality than you might think. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, i-s said:

In other words, don't limit your choices by demanding the bigger screen only to be disappointed.

Indeed, get the bigger screen just as a consequence of wanting the ML stereo upgrade. Although I do find the 2/3 1/3 split screen useful and never use full screen.

8 hours ago, bobmc said:

You haven't said what your budget is but there's a nice looking 2013 GS F-Sport, with the Mark Levinson Audio/Satnav upgrade, with less than 30,000 miles for sale at Lexus Tunbridge Wells for £15K

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25-F-Sport-Mark-Levinson-qxbzk48

And Lexus Canterbury have 2012 GS Luxury, again with the Mark Levinson upgrade, just over 30,000 miles for £13.5K

Astonishing value.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Indeed, get the bigger screen just as a consequence of wanting the ML stereo upgrade. Although I do find the 2/3 1/3 split screen useful and never use full screen.

I am the same, one for radio and smaller one for heating! 🙂

Can I just add if buying from an independent most Lexus dealers will provide a free vehicle health check which would show up any potential problems and associated costs. 

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Can I just add if buying from an independent most Lexus dealers will provide a free vehicle health check which would show up any potential problems and associated costs. 

That is invaluable information Steve.What is the basis for the statement, so that we can pass it on outside of the Forum to any potential owners?

FREE VEHICLE HEALTH CHECK

The Lexus Centre Vehicle Health Check is an inspection carried out by a Lexus technician who checks all key components on your Lexus. This includes tyres, steering, brakes, lights, bodywork, exhaust and fluid levels. Upon completion, you’ll receive a report highlighting any urgent work needed and be advised on any work that may be required in the near future. You can book your free Vehicle Health Check any time at your local Lexus Centre.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/vehicle-service/#feedback-&-help

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Thanks Colin.

The text clearly relates to the OWNER of the Lexus.

Several scenarios arise;

1.I have owned the Lexus for less then 6 months since I bought it from a car sales outlet(non Lexus).

I could then use the information provided to request the seller to make good at his cost any significant matters which were deemed Statutorily to have existed or were arising at the point of sale.

2. I wish to consider purchasing a Lexus from a car sales outlet or privately.

I  then seek to obtain the seller`s (private or car sales outlet) permission to have the vehicle inspected prior to making a decision whether to buy or not.

Seems to me that the existence of the text you have produced can only benefit Lexus owners--potential or existing.

1 - if there is an issue then you go back to the sales outlet where you purchased the vehicle and request a repair, replacement or ultimately a refund (minus any fair use loss of value). Within six months it is the responsibility of the sales outlet to prove the fault didn't exist at time of sale. After six months the responsibility is on you - The health check report isn't going to give you information on when the fault occurred or how it happened, only that there is a fault now. You may need an independent engineering report to do that.

2 - if you are purchasing from a sales outlet then use one that gives an AA/RAC inspection health check report. Otherwise you purchase the vehicle and use the method 1 above. If you purchase from a private person then you could always ask them to get the inspection done prior to purchase.

Let's not pretend this is anything other than an opportunity for the dealer to check over a vehicle they potentially haven't seen before, to find faults and win business. But it can be used to the owner's benefit too.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm the owner of a Lexus gs250 year 2012 85k miles.

So far absolutely bulletproof. 

Power and acceleration might be an issue for some drivers though. 

When driven calmly below 3000 revs it's perfectly adequate but far from quick. 

Basically it's a car that needs revs to get moving swiftly.

What is misses most is healthy torque. 

0 - 62 mph 8.6 is not slow 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 12:42 AM, Audrey said:

Thank you all so much for your feedback.  Your comments are all very useful and I have written them in a notebook so I can ask the right questions when viewing the cars.  Seriously I am hopeless when it comes to buying a used car.  Now I know at the 6th service, there will be sparkplugs to change and will ask if they have already been done etc.  It;s a very good point about the tyres,  if the car has different tyres, then I should probably avoid that one as its owner probably don't look after the car much.  

I did think about getting one of the Hybrid GS but I had a Prius years ago and its gearbox failed me when it reached 6 years old.  That kind of put me off a little bit on the Hybrids now.

I currently lease a Volvo S90 and will have to hand give it back in a few months, so I am starting to look for a car to keep going and I don't fancy leasing again.  

Thanks all.  Much appreciated.

A

The GS Hybrid gearbox is pretty much rock solid as far as I understand. 
Worth considering if you can find one in your price range as the mpg gain makes up for a lot.
I get just under 40 mpg going down the motorway which is impressive for a car this size.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, Audrey said:

Ok sure.  Thanks for the latest posts.  They all offered valuable information for me.  I learned a lot in the last few days.  I definitely haven't ruled out the MK3s because two of my friends had them although one of them told me his GS300 suffered from suspension problem.  The other was telling me he could barely put his briefcase in the boot of his 450h.

I am leaning towards getting a car from a Lexus dealer just so that I can have a one-year (I think) warranty and the free breakdown cover for peace of mind.  But knowing me, if I see private one that I like (ie, it looks to be in good conditions from a paint work and interior point of view, I will probably take the risks and buy from private or from a "street" dealer.  When it comes to cars, I tend to buy with the heart rather than common sense.  

A

Suspension can be an issue on all the GSs as they get older, particularly if no mercy is given on rough roads/speed bumps.
It's just due to the weight of the car. I don't think most warranties will touch it either as it kinda falls under wear and tear.

450h hasn't got the biggest boot in the world.... but not fitting a suitcase in? Yeah that's nonsense. Unless the later models have
a vastly reduced boot size ofc.... but think about it, the spare is in the boot, same size as your other wheels. The spare if bigger than
a suitcase so if you couldn't fit in the suitcase, it'd be impossible to get the spare out 😉
Have fit two full trollies from the supermarket in mine with zero issues.