Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just said goodbye to my 430 after five great motoring years.  She failed her MoT on rear suspension problems and was just not worth saving.  I sold her for spares/repairs to a local guy for £250.  130,000 on the clock, which is not much, but as so often happens the main mechanics could go on for ever - what lets you down in the end in the other stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a CT200h,,  and am getting good advice from the CT club forum, so it's goodbye from me on this one.

AFB

I much doubt it - he's a mechanic at our local garage who seemingly belongs to a network of spares and repairs people, and he intends to progressively rob the old car until it's towed away.

On 5/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, Anthony B said:

I've just said goodbye to my 430 after five great motoring years.  She failed her MoT on rear suspension problems and was just not worth saving.  I sold her for spares/repairs to a local guy for £250.  130,000 on the clock, which is not much, but as so often happens the main mechanics could go on for ever - what lets you down in the end in the other stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a CT200h,,  and am getting good advice from the CT club forum, so it's goodbye from me on this one.

AFB

mmmh i think you have been had there.. for getting rid of an LS430 for only £250... surely it could be saved by doing a conversion to coilovers? even if it sets you back  £1500 it still works out cheaper than buying a CT200h and will drive better than one even at its age? no offence to CT owners.. i wont be surprise the the guy does a suspension conversion cleans it up and puts it back for sale.. LS's are still one of the finest cars ever built in my books...

• Like 2

I don't know about coilovers, and I think would not have accepted the idea even if I had.  At my age (77) and in my - our - position I need to reduce cost of ownership.  I can no longer quietly overlook the fact that I was spending £2000 a year on fuel and £320-odd on tax.  Also the fact is that maintenance, tyres and spares have been costing ~£2000 annually.  I no longer have the energy to do any work on the car myself.  So I can be thankful to have enjoyed 5 years of brilliant motoring - averaging 24.5 miles per gallon over 40,000 miles - and must now move on.  No regrets either way.

• Like 2

regrettably you could have got more than only £250 for the car.. i think you let it go for less than peanuts.  considering if it was still derivable, you could easily auctioned it or sold it privately for at least a grand...

As someone looking for a cheap LS, I'd have bitten your hand off. At least you'd have known it was going to someone who would respect the car.  My hunt continues...

What's done is done, and quiet honestly it would have been my attitude, five great years so just let it go.  I am interested to know what the faults with the suspension were though if that's possible.

I can understand the thinking behind your decision and good luck into the future ,with regard  to the cheap sale it is not anyone's business as to the cost you accept the fact it is not viable to keep it and did not want hassle in trying to flog it without a ticket and you were happy with the time you owned it.

As for the dealer that bought it ,well for a start he as to store it while he breaks it then he as to break it and find buyers for the bits and then he as to dispose of all the bits that don't sell and cost money to get shifted.

So when you go to the breakers like Paul Frost looking for a cheap genuine part for your LS430 remember its only cheap because he bought it cheap.

22 hours ago, Anthony B said:

I don't know about coilovers, and I think would not have accepted the idea even if I had.  At my age (77) and in my - our - position I need to reduce cost of ownership.  I can no longer quietly overlook the fact that I was spending £2000 a year on fuel and £320-odd on tax.  Also the fact is that maintenance, tyres and spares have been costing ~£2000 annually.  I no longer have the energy to do any work on the car myself.  So I can be thankful to have enjoyed 5 years of brilliant motoring - averaging 24.5 miles per gallon over 40,000 miles - and must now move on.  No regrets either way.

I share your sentiments Anthony. What been done has been done for reasons which were appropriate at the time.

Move on and do enjoy your CT.....let us have some piccies and your thoughts on the new car.

Edited by royoftherovers
typo