Big Pete

My 2002 SC, help required!

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

I’m new here so hi to all.

I bought end of 2018 a 2002 SC430 with 135,000miles.

After going from a new Toyota Aygo many years back to a new Verso S, then eventually we bought a dealer loan car 10th Anniversary Prius, loved it.

Eventually the wife wanted an SUV and my local dealer had a Lexus RX450H 2009 model for a very low price available with 112k, we jumped at it so traded the Prius in with 50k, haha.

The Toyota / Lexus reliability have been sold to the wife so we’re not bothered about mileage.

She then wanted a convertible to use in and off, always wanted one so I could have gone down the MX5 route but I wanted luxury and managed to get an SC for £3k from someone local to me. It needed some TLC.

It did have quite a few niggles, so good price.

All the speakers were knackered so bought the refirb kit from a company in USA and now works perfectly. The backs of the seats were falling off so reset those, the electric aerial wasn’t working so I bought a new aerial and replaced that, the nav didnt work after 1 week so replaced the dvd unit in the boot off an LS430 and working well now, the boot had lots of rust from water so painted al that with rustproofing, drivers window would work on switch so took apart and fixed switch, I got a custom exhaust fitted as the original was falling off, the rear boot wouldn’t unlatch so had to use the manual pull in the centre box between seats, after lots of WD40 on the boot latch all is good, the stereo power wood cover wasn’t operating but found the cable disconnect. I got a garage near me to give it a full once over and replace all fluids, spark plugs, Battery. They also replaced a front calliper, the radiator was also leaking at the top and had to go to lexus as knowone made an aftermarket version apparently, I did try but no good only custom and Lexus was cheaper.

Id done some mods along the way also.

i got it back and on my way home from the garage it started having P0335 knock sensor issues so it went straight back,  my garage had no idea, it would restart and smoke from the engine, Nightmare! Eventually I fixed it by replacing the coil pack last week. Warmer weather, so I need to get the car sorted!

So now the car is mostly fixed and working. I’ve still got a few issues if anyone can help?

 

1)The aerial has eaten another aerial, any way of adding a stumpy type? I may just disconnect the motor and plug the aerial cable into a fixed one and put that in behind in the boot if not.

2)The power mirrors, they work but don’t go in and out all the way 95% of the time, is there a fix? The passenger side only goes up and down not left to right?

3)The boot leaks, the wells either side in the back get pools in them so I have removed the rubber bung so it doesn’t look and just drips out, any idea where it comes from exactly?

4) The windscreen washers and headlight washers have randomly stopped working. No noise from pump, nothing! I checked the fuse in the passenger well that says Washer and is fine, any idea? If there more fuses or a relay box? I suspect there is 2 pumps so would not think both gone as same time.

5)What’s the easiest way to swop out the front sidelights, got some LED ones I want to put in.

6)I’d like to swop out the rear light clusters to the later version, anyone know if a straight swop or a scrap yard etc that got any etc?

7)Does anyone do an ECU and/or gearbox remap for a few more HP without damaging anything?

8)want to keep the stock stereo, what’s the options on getting Bluetooth and reverse camera for some mod-cons. Can you swop out later model headunit that has Bluetooth?

9) Any other preventative maintenance I need to do apart from the usual? Was just going to follow what says to do in the Manual.

10)Any great modification worth doing?

 

Thanks for any advise I get in advance, and sorry no doubt many of these questions been asked before.

Take care.

636AD749-EC32-4BB8-A68D-8DEA2DAC4E99.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your aerial, use a Lexus one, I tried two cheap ones before, had no problems since.

The leaks in to the boot, the leaing corner rubber nearest the rear screen has a whole in, these leads to a tube, thts drains. chech for the tube being connected, check if it is blocked.

I took my headlights out to change all the bulbs. Bumper off i'm afraid.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pete,

Sounds like you are well on the way with some very good work done so far.👍

1)The aerial has eaten another aerial, any way of adding a stumpy type? I may just disconnect the motor and plug the aerial cable into a fixed one and put that in behind in the boot if not.

As per Paul's advice a new or secondhand Lexus aerial should solve it.

2)The power mirrors, they work but don’t go in and out all the way 95% of the time, is there a fix? The passenger side only goes up and down not left to right?

Not come across this before. Sometimes the actual glass needs re-seating very gently. You can hear it click into place. They may need closer inspection. They can be removed after taking the door trims off.

3)The boot leaks, the wells either side in the back get pools in them so I have removed the rubber bung so it doesn’t look and just drips out, any idea where it comes from exactly?

Check the drain pipes from the drip trays. Also if you suspect it's getting through the rubber, Bob suggested using chalk to coat the rubber seals and then spray water over the car. If it's getting past the rubber the chalk will reveal the source.

4) The windscreen washers and headlight washers have randomly stopped working. No noise from pump, nothing! I checked the fuse in the passenger well that says Washer and is fine, any idea? If there more fuses or a relay box? I suspect there is 2 pumps so would not think both gone as same time.

I'm not sure. Do the washers raise and nothing comes out when the lights are on? Gently pull up the washers by hand and inspect.

5)What’s the easiest way to swop out the front sidelights, got some LED ones I want to put in.

Swapping the bulbs really is a pain without the bumper removed or at least partially removed to permit access.

6)I’d like to swop out the rear light clusters to the later version, anyone know if a straight swop or a scrap yard etc that got any etc?

The LED rear lights are nice to have but they require an ECU too. It can be done. Some guys on the US site have done it, search clublexus.

7)Does anyone do an ECU and/or gearbox remap for a few more HP without damaging anything?

ECU remap - nothing so far, there is a mechanical gearbox mod for slightly quicker shifts and there are several flavours of electronic throttle controllers that almost eliminate all of the lag. Doing a reset has a similar effect. 

Very modest power upgrades come from third cat delete, custom exhaust, CAI with a chip from SRT. Headers should take you over 300 bhp at great expense. 

8)want to keep the stock stereo, what’s the options on getting Bluetooth and reverse camera for some mod-cons. Can you swop out later model headunit that has Bluetooth?

Follow Christian's recent post using Naviks and some very nice additions or look at Vaistech, Grom, etc. The later Bluetooth set up with phone prep includes the screen menus so I think it would be quite a project. Easier to swap the head unit for something modern as the european interface from Beat-sonic does make it plug and play now.

9) Any other preventative maintenance I need to do apart from the usual? Was just going to follow what says to do in the Manual.

Cambelt and water pump replacement are the essentials.

10)Any great modification worth doing?

Coil-over suspension, + wider wheels and tyres will really improve the driving experience.

For mods and fixes, try this, just skip and pause through it to find some of the pics you need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oneflewover said:

Your aerial, use a Lexus one, I tried two cheap ones before, had no problems since.

The leaks in to the boot, the leaing corner rubber nearest the rear screen has a whole in, these leads to a tube, thts drains. chech for the tube being connected, check if it is blocked.

I took my headlights out to change all the bulbs. Bumper off i'm afraid.

 

 

Hi,

Maybe I’ll just have to get Lexus’s aerial, any idea of price and part number? The eBay one for £10 lasted about 15 up and down movements!

ok I’ll look for those drains and see, are they behind the panels, the pipes? Away at present so cannot check.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Neil E said:

Hi Pete,

Sounds like you are well on the way with some very good work done so far.👍

1)The aerial has eaten another aerial, any way of adding a stumpy type? I may just disconnect the motor and plug the aerial cable into a fixed one and put that in behind in the boot if not.

As per Paul's advice a new or secondhand Lexus aerial should solve it.

2)The power mirrors, they work but don’t go in and out all the way 95% of the time, is there a fix? The passenger side only goes up and down not left to right?

Not come across this before. Sometimes the actual glass needs re-seating very gently. You can hear it click into place. They may need closer inspection. They can be removed after taking the door trims off.

3)The boot leaks, the wells either side in the back get pools in them so I have removed the rubber bung so it doesn’t look and just drips out, any idea where it comes from exactly?

Check the drain pipes from the drip trays. Also if you suspect it's getting through the rubber, Bob suggested using chalk to coat the rubber seals and then spray water over the car. If it's getting past the rubber the chalk will reveal the source.

4) The windscreen washers and headlight washers have randomly stopped working. No noise from pump, nothing! I checked the fuse in the passenger well that says Washer and is fine, any idea? If there more fuses or a relay box? I suspect there is 2 pumps so would not think both gone as same time.

I'm not sure. Do the washers raise and nothing comes out when the lights are on? Gently pull up the washers by hand and inspect.

5)What’s the easiest way to swop out the front sidelights, got some LED ones I want to put in.

Swapping the bulbs really is a pain without the bumper removed or at least partially removed to permit access.

6)I’d like to swop out the rear light clusters to the later version, anyone know if a straight swop or a scrap yard etc that got any etc?

The LED rear lights are nice to have but they require an ECU too. It can be done. Some guys on the US site have done it, search clublexus.

7)Does anyone do an ECU and/or gearbox remap for a few more HP without damaging anything?

ECU remap - nothing so far, there is a mechanical gearbox mod for slightly quicker shifts and there are several flavours of electronic throttle controllers that almost eliminate all of the lag. Doing a reset has a similar effect. 

Very modest power upgrades come from third cat delete, custom exhaust, CAI with a chip from SRT. Headers should take you over 300 bhp at great expense. 

8)want to keep the stock stereo, what’s the options on getting Bluetooth and reverse camera for some mod-cons. Can you swop out later model headunit that has Bluetooth?

Follow Christian's recent post using Naviks and some very nice additions or look at Vaistech, Grom, etc. The later bluetooth set up with phone prep includes the screen menus so I think it would be quite a project. Easier to swap the head unit for something modern as the european interface from Beat-sonic does make it plug and play now.

9) Any other preventative maintenance I need to do apart from the usual? Was just going to follow what says to do in the Manual.

Cambelt and water pump replacement are the essentials.

10)Any great modification worth doing?

Coil-over suspension, + wider wheels and tyres will really improve the driving experience.

For mods and fixes, try this, just skip and pause through it to find some of the pics you need.

 

Hi,

reply once again much appreciated!

2) I’ll check if not seated if not may have to remove each and check.

3) ok will do and great tip.

4) I actually got that wrong I put the headlights on yesterday and pushed the headlight washer button and they came out and sprayed fine.

i pull the wiper pod towards me or hit the button on end of stalk and windscreen wipers operate but no water.

5) ok, is there a diagram for the bumper removal? Probably not that bad once you know what bolts remove, removed the rear on my RX and was fine.

6) ok no worries i think the later one has LEDs in it so I did suspect a fuse swop to allow for the voltage without fast blink and possible error message on VDU, but ECU that sounds expensive!

7) I did ask one company and they said no mod but expected someone to do a remap. Never mind, does STR have a website? Throttle controller plug and play? I’ve noticed off the line with Power mode and gearbox in 4 it takes a while once you have stamped on it for the car to move and it feels like it just bogs down in first, once it’s in 2nd it flies, but gear changing are pretty lethargic.

8)Plug and play from BeatSonic? Really so I can swop the old CD player out and still use the original Harmen Karden amp etc and the wood power cover over it? If so that sounds the way to go for me. Does it require spacer either side of stereo etc to fill in gaps over the double din? More info part number etc please if possible!!!

9) ok, does everyone get their water pump and cambelt kit from Lexus is there a good online Lexus shop or?

10) I’ve put lowering springs from H&R on it as was going to go down the coilover route but wanted to keep the Lexus smooth ride and it’s certainly done that and helped stop a little lean so not too bad. I’ve also put some 20s on it so knew the ride would be a little firmer so. 20x9” in the front on 35 rubber and 20x10.5” in the rear with 30 rubber.

ill check that video out!

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vid and the thread behind it has the same effect as counting sheep but it will answer those questions and a few more too.

It does sound like you really want the later 6 speed SC430. 

4 Yes that's a common one with the headlamp washers. 

5. There are lots of 10mm bolts and fixings to release parts and trim etc, that takes time but the bumper comes off quite easily. There are a few tutorials on line but you're correct, once you start, it becomes obvious.

6. Yes unless you can find all of the parts secondhand cheaply, it's a very expensive conversion. 

7. Some companies say they do but no one actually does a remap without an aftermarket programmable ECU. Without a supercharger or turbo set up to use it, there's little to be gained. So little too from adding the Swift Racing Technologies CAI and chip if they still do it. A 3rd cat delete and a nice custom exhaust with an X pipe might yield 10 bhp but I have no real evidence to support that because the guys with SC430 aftermarket exhausts aren't the types to hang around establishments with dyno-jet rolling roads.

8.The Beat-sonic interface is now plug and play but it's quite an expensive conversion when adding the cost of the head unit too. Yes works with the ML/Harmon amp and a double din unit can be made to fit the car with the wooden door in full working order. Beatsonic MVA-12LE approx £365

9. Yes go for the Lexus cambelt and water pump kit. I wouldn't trust anything else.

10.They are some very big wide wheels you have there. 👍 If you don't have any clearance issues with the car lowered on the H and R springs then the offsets must be spot on. Most of us don't go above 19" to help retain some comfort from the rear rubber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Neil E said:

The vid and the thread behind it has the same effect as counting sheep but it will answer those questions and a few more too.

It does sound like you really want the later 6 speed SC430. 

4 Yes that's a common one with the headlamp washers. 

5. There are lots of 10mm bolts and fixings to release parts and trim etc, that takes time but the bumper comes off quite easily. There are a few tutorials on line but you're correct, once you start, it becomes obvious.

6. Yes unless you can find all of the parts secondhand cheaply, it's a very expensive conversion. 

7. Some companies say they do but no one actually does a remap without an aftermarket programmable ECU. Without a supercharger or turbo set up to use it, there's little to be gained. So little too from adding the Swift Racing Technologies CAI and chip if they still do it. A 3rd cat delete and a nice custom exhaust with an X pipe might yield 10 bhp but I have no real evidence to support that because the guys with SC430 aftermarket exhausts aren't the types to hang around establishments with dyno-jet rolling roads.

8.The Beat-sonic interface is now plug and play but it's quite an expensive conversion when adding the cost of the head unit too. Yes works with the ML/Harmon amp and a double din unit can be made to fit the car with the wooden door in full working order. Beatsonic MVA-12LE approx £365

9. Yes go for the Lexus cambelt and water pump kit. I wouldn't trust anything else.

10.They are some very big wide wheels you have there. 👍 If you don't have any clearance issues with the car lowered on the H and R springs then the offsets must be spot on. Most of us don't go above 19" to help retain some comfort from the rear rubber. 

Hi,

thanks for the reply!

the Beatsonic looked at just now, I think I’ll have to pay out as great option, and you can send video to the main nav unit, sounds amazing. Would be good to add front camera if it allows that to appear on the nav screen, and I can then add a rear camera to the new headunit. Great heads up! The car from the drivers seat had a big bum and long bonnet so would help for sure!

ill have to check the fuses again, do you know which fuse is for the windscreen washer motor or is there a separate relay box? Either way the headlight washers are ok, the wipers are ok, the windscreen washers not, no noise from motor.

When I got the car the rear silencer was falling off so I got a friend to do a custom stainless setup. I told him I need to hear that V8. He removed the 3rd cat luckily and that goes into a straight pipe with a silencer for the MOT, that silencer can be swopped out for a straight pipe which is how I run it, then like the OEM it goes back into 2 pipes with a small resonator on each and then exit pipes either way. The car sounds fantastic! I added a Blitz induction kit as it’s a big engine so.........

Yes I have not dyno tested it but I could if i wanted but not overly bothered.

The rims I have are a 30offset on the front and 38offset on the rear and fit easy with no arch mods. I’ve attached a photo. Tbh the front would fit a 10” and the rears an 11.5” easy with only possibly removing arch liners. You must be able to go very wide if you get the best offset I would say if you were able to measure and get custom rims from Work etc.

I’ve got 24” on my RX450H and ive lowered that on Tanabe lowering springs and that’s a way better ride that’s stock with fat 55 profile tyres on 19s so i will say I was going to get 22” rims on the SC, but knew I’d have to fit coilovers so didn't bother. The 22” are oversized and would raise the car about 2cm so would need to make that difference up with the coilovers, so the car would have been pretty slammed with big rims sitting under arches which I love but I had to resist as it’s a luxury cruiser so........!

679C0109-A893-4A17-8AAA-9E93F61874F3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Neil E said:

10.They are some very big wide wheels you have there. 👍 If you don't have any clearance issues with the car lowered on the H and R springs then the offsets must be spot on. Most of us don't go above 19" to help retain some comfort from the rear rubber. 

Forgot to say I’m probably running the same profile as yourselves on 19s so feel would be similar.

245/35 front

285/30 rear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, Big Pete said:

The power mirrors, they work but don’t go in and out all the way 95% of the time, is there a fix?

Not folding correctly? Normally just need cleaning around the pivots - spray wd40 to loosen dirt, operate a few times and then clean off any excess.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Not folding correctly? Normally just need cleaning around the pivots - spray wd40 to loosen dirt, operate a few times and then clean off any excess.

 

Perfect, I’ll give it a go!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, spot on with the profiles and only a very small speedo error even with 20s.

Might be worth starting a project thread, you're certainly going for it.

Front/rear cam to screen is fairly easy with an AV switch box. I vowed to stop all that stuff after selling the Soarers but it is good fun.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Yeah, spot on with the profiles and only a very small speedo error even with 20s.

Might be worth starting a project thread, you're certainly going for it.

Front/rear cam to screen is fairly easy with an AV switch box. I vowed to stop all that stuff after selling the Soarers but it is good fun.😀

a/v switchbox sounds like a plan! I’ll have to look into it, any links for an example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for Pioneer CD-VS33

 

Something like this. I've owned them in the past with buttons to quickly flick between channels. Otherwise install more monitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. I'm new to the site, and the first post I've come across talks of all of these faults on an SC430 (although they are being slowly, but surely rectified). Given my attraction to the legendary Lexus build quality and reliability, I'm a little dismayed. Indeed, I'm worried that these may be common problems and the car will end up costing me an arm and a leg, especially becuase, unlike the OP, I'm not comfortable working on the car.

I currently drive a 2008 MX5, and am not disappointed with the attributes that attract people to them. Niggles I can deal with - reading through the OP's list of problems doesn't fill me with confidence about any future purchase.

I would welcome some reassurance that these problems are exceptions, rather than the norm?

Happy to listen to all and any advice offered, to keep my hopes of purchasing one alive.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ianh2 said:

Hi all. I'm new to the site, and the first post I've come across talks of all of these faults on an SC430 (although they are being slowly, but surely rectified). Given my attraction to the legendary Lexus build quality and reliability, I'm a little dismayed. Indeed, I'm worried that these may be common problems and the car will end up costing me an arm and a leg, especially becuase, unlike the OP, I'm not comfortable working on the car.

I currently drive a 2008 MX5, and am not disappointed with the attributes that attract people to them. Niggles I can deal with - reading through the OP's list of problems doesn't fill me with confidence about any future purchase.

I would welcome some reassurance that these problems are exceptions, rather than the norm?

Happy to listen to all and any advice offered, to keep my hopes of purchasing one alive.....

Morning Ian and welcome to the Lexus Club.

In order to have a sense of perspective can you tell us

did you buy from a Lexus Dealer, a Motor Trader or Privately?

What sort of service history does your car have ?

Do you know the number of previous owners

Give us the reg no.

More members will be along in dues course.Do not despair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roy.

That's my fault for not being clear.

I'm actively looking to buy an SC430 - I don't have one as yet.

I drive a 2008 MX5.

I've seen prices range from £3k to £5k for 02/03 models and would be looking to buy one as standard as possible, with as much provenance as possible.

They appear to be a bit of a hidden science, hence my pre-purchase research, and my shock at the problems experienced by the OP.

I don't expect a niggle free car, but nor do I expect all of the problems highlighted, all at once!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ianh2 said:

Hi all. I'm new to the site, and the first post I've come across talks of all of these faults on an SC430 (although they are being slowly, but surely rectified). Given my attraction to the legendary Lexus build quality and reliability, I'm a little dismayed. Indeed, I'm worried that these may be common problems and the car will end up costing me an arm and a leg, especially becuase, unlike the OP, I'm not comfortable working on the car.

I currently drive a 2008 MX5, and am not disappointed with the attributes that attract people to them. Niggles I can deal with - reading through the OP's list of problems doesn't fill me with confidence about any future purchase.

I would welcome some reassurance that these problems are exceptions, rather than the norm?

Happy to listen to all and any advice offered, to keep my hopes of purchasing one alive.....

You have posted twice young man and I have misread your first post!

You have not bought yet,but if you

Buy from Lexus Dealer he will probably warrant the car for 12 months.

Buy from a Motor Trader and you will get 6 months max or probably less

Try to buy one with a full LSH

Check the MOT history from the DVLA Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ianh2 said:

Hi Roy.

That's my fault for not being clear.

I'm actively looking to buy an SC430 - I don't have one as yet.

I drive a 2008 MX5.

I've seen prices range from £3k to £5k for 02/03 models and would be looking to buy one as standard as possible, with as much provenance as possible.

They appear to be a bit of a hidden science, hence my pre-purchase research, and my shock at the problems experienced by the OP.

I don't expect a niggle free car, but nor do I expect all of the problems highlighted, all at once!

There are none at Lexus Dealers at the moment Ian---keep checking their website..

Have you posted in the SC Forum, which is where you will get the best advice?

Check MOT  via DVLA

Problems  are normally due to poor maintenance by non Lexus people.

Good luck and do let us all know how you get on 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian, that's good advice from John though Lexus main dealers rarely stock them or sell them at a good price as they stopped making them in 2009.

The SC430 is an ultra reliable, very well engineered, solid piece of kit. It doesn't have to be supplied by a Lexus main dealer to be a good one but a good service history is important.

Most of what we are talking about here in this thread is on an early, high-ish mileage and slightly modified car. I suspect it's been left unused for a little while and in Big Pete's hands is being restored to order with a few upgrades.

Buy one that has a good service history (Lexus dealer, good Indy or knowledgeable enthusiast) that has clearly been looked after and you should be fine.

Mine has been thoroughly abused though properly serviced and with 140k+ miles on the clock doesn't miss a beat. Kept in the same manner, I would expect it to do twice that and more. It's been on the dyno twice and in the first run at more than 100K miles it had lost none of its original power. At 140K in 'abused form' it has a bit more such is the confidence I have in it.

Service items will always need to be done but as long as they are then there should be nothing to concern you. I would recommend the 6 speed newer version but the early version is still a good car. The 3UZ-FE is one of the very best engines you can find. Cam-belt kit and water pump replacement at 10 years or 100K is important. Some of us have replaced suspension to improve ride quality and changed to aftermarket alloys, etc but none of that is necessary. 

My advice is find a nice one and give it a test drive or find a helpful local club member.... I was in Exeter the other day, you could have had a go in mine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TO be honest mine is in great shape now, had an owner that wasn’t overly bothered about fixing stuff but would only go to main dealer and not try to fix stuff himself.

 

Most of the issues I have had are common but once fixed, and old cars so scrap yards generally have a few bits lying around, or parts brand new non Lexus parts like brakes are super cheap.

i have the 5 speed version and yes you put it in sport mode and hit the throttle and it takes a while to wind up, then it pauses from 1st to 2nd and then it off like a rocket, the 6 speed is more fluid, both simular 0-62 and I’m sure the original engine had a few more horses, It’s a luxury cruiser so I suppose that’s the way they designed it for the original model.

Mine has 140k and starts and drives like new. I think if you buy a car this old and the owner before hasn’t been on the ball yr need to spend a bit to get all fluids etc changed so you know it’s in good nick.

Just go buy one they are amazing and like most Lexus, loyal.

099084F9-29C3-479B-8C4C-0160872AA82D.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

The water in the boot is coming from the spoiler mounting holes, I had the same problem. Remove the liner in boot lid and seal up the holes with silicone sealant, worked for me.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

I have an SC430 which i have owned for 12 years , never had a repair done to it , serviced every year , good quality oil , proper filters , OE cambelts etc , best most reliable older luxury hardtop convertible money can buy . For water in the boot start simple solutions first , high level brake light has two rubber grommets , these perish , i used fish tank sealant , cured first time ,  the boot filled up before , just remember there are a lot of electrics in the boot , sat nav , amps and roof ecu .

One thing i do need is a front windscreen !!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 313 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old