Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Problem On Is200 - How Much!

PaulFromSwindon

Hi Guys,

I am in a state of shock and anger, having been lured originally into buying a Lexus by the illusion of Bullet-proof engineering.

In the 1.5 years I have owned the car, I have so far had 3 of what seems to be the four classic problems; Juddery clutch, Dodgy steering ball-joints, and knackered sat-nav screen. At least I managed to get them repaired under warranty (after a massive amount of arguing with respect to the judderry clutch).

Now my warranty has expired, I have the big one. My gearbox now scrunches changing from first to second. I read som posts on this site, and clearly there is another pattern - many posts regarding the same issue. Apparently the problem is due to iffy synchromesh rings.

I phone Lexus in Swindon and Reading, and was staggered to be told that it would cost £1400 to repair (not replace the gearbox,, that would cost £2500 for a recon unit). They have got to be kidding. This is a car with only 60000 miles on the clock. I could buy a Hyundai budget-wagon, and be pretty confident that the 'box would last longer.

What angers me more is that it is clearly an issue known by Lexus, judging by the posts here, and the fact that there are modified parts available. How can this be justified? The fact the fault exists is bad enough, the fact that it will cost at least 1400 quid to repair is ridiculous. £1400 quid to repair an inherent design fault in the vehicle. How many industries would get away with it?

In the year and a half I have owned the vehicle, if I had not originally had the extended warranty, I would have had to have spent £3400, including this repair, (which I am going to have to pay for). This is on a Lexus - bullet-proof build quality? I accept that many people have no problems, but reading this site suggests there are definitely some disturbing patterns.

I am going to be writing to Lexus, but I doubt they will lose too much sleep over it. I feel it is a massive shame that despite the fun I have had with the car, I could never feel comfortable to own another one. I hope people reading this will see the importance of having a warranty, and accepting that these cars are not as flawless as the publicity suggests. Even that that may not help (took me a year before I could get them to sort my clutch, even then they nearly got out of it)

Has anyone who has had the gearbox problem contacted Lexus? If so, any joy?

Have a nice day folks...

Paul :crying:

Paul, call me a "cunning old dog", but could you not keep quiet from Lexus GB and take out a Lexus used car warranty at a cost of ( i think ) £450.00, leave it a few weeks and get it fixed using a diffrerent dealer :D .

Morally wrong maybe, but cheaper on you pocket :winky: .

• 4 weeks later...

I think you guys are missing the point here, the man has a problem with his car and it isn't his fault.

I hate BMW drivers as much as the next guy but I gotta admit, their service is second to none. My little bor drives a 1995 BMW 3 series and he recently had a postcard off them to say that there's a safety issue with some part of his steering column. They replaced the culprit parts FOC..not a single damn penny for parts or labour. They don't have to do this, they could just offer 'inspections' and blag wear and tear, then charge for the part.

I was recently told by an independant garage, that my lex has a clunky box and I should get it checked. If I find out that it's down to a design flaw, I'll ask for the part to be replaced FOC...If I get an argument, there's enough solicitors in the family to fill a showroom!! It's bang out of order that someone elses problem has to be paid for by us. I'd like to believe that Lexus can provide a service which is equal to BMW but if they can't, I'm sorry to say I'll be losing my Lex sooner than I thought. Service counts for a lot and if I'm gonna be taking my car down to the dealers for the next few years, I need to know I'm not getting shafted each time for a 'design fault'!!

Gripe over

Thanx

MWAF :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

I am astounded at the amount of common problems we seem to read on here, wheels corroding, gearbox clunking, thin paintwork etc... I fail to see why Lexus do not admit they have a problem and offer a better alternative, especially the wheels! I mean how much money is it costing them to replace all these wheels? All they need do is realise a new set that dont corrode and hey presto! Or even use more or a better quality lacquer? Sorry, is that too easy? :ph34r:

I bought my car back in November, it had a new set of wheels put on it before I bought it, well these are looking shabby already and I shall certainly be asking for new ones on warranty once the weather picks up and again before my warranty runs out in November this year, if needed. :whistling:

I have heard from friends and family, about all types of cars from Mercs to Fords, even on motorcycles I have owned or again friends/family, recalls are sent out and known faults/problems are fixed FOC. Why is this not happening with Lexus?

Perhaps not enough people are moaning about it? :shutit: I am sure Lexus wouldn't want us all moaning about the lack of quality, especially as they seem to be getting all these awards etc... Come on Lexus, put your parts where your mouth is!

Nick

I have heard from friends and family, about all types of cars from Mercs to Fords, even on motorcycles I have owned or again friends/family, recalls are sent out and known faults/problems are fixed FOC. Why is this not happening with Lexus?

Recalls are normally only because of saftey reasons. No manufacturer would recall their cars because some alloys may corrode. Most manufacturers wouldn't even swap them out under warranty.

Recalls are normally only because of saftey reasons. No manufacturer would recall their cars because some alloys may corrode. Most manufacturers wouldn't even swap them out under warranty.

I agree Colin, NORMALLY, but then how many of other manufacturers have problems with wheels corroding? I have known cars/bikes to be recalled, for parts to be replaced as they are inferior item, not just for safety issues.

I think its is great Lexus do change the wheels under warranty, but can they not see by having new wheels that wont corrode, will save them time and money in the long run? Not to mention, keep the owners alot happier.

I quite agree with Nick

My vehicle/wheels are only about 7 months old and are supposed the be the revised finished/lacquered ones (or so I was told) but are already showing early signs or corrosion. I will also expect them to be replaced as and when. If they know there is a problem with the UK climate (and they must know by now) then why on earth continue to supply the vehicles with the same wheels - it is a shambles. I will also ask about a revised design of wheel as a replacement. Why should I accept the same design of wheel again only to find out the same thing will happen again.

The gearbox which in the main is a joy to use, is a frustrating beast when changing from 1st to 2nd - the usual clonky noise etc.

Both these issues are out of character with the rest of the car.

Lexus - if you are reading this please take note - matters like this are very frustrating for us and you will start to lose customers and your accolades if this continues. Sort it out!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links