Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did something today I've never done before...

Popped to the local Waitrose for some bits and bobs and noticed a MY2000 GS 300 in one of the disabled spaces with a couple just getting out.

Walked inside the supermarket but checked the car on the GOV.UK website (something I often do when I see something interesting). Impeccable MOT history and only 31,000 on the clock!

So I approached the old boy, gave him my card and politely asked that if he ever came to sell it to give me a call.

You never know :wink:

• Like 3

Told a mate. He said I was some sort of car park Grim Reaper.

(Entirely off topic. Anyone else think of Twister immediately after thinking of the Grim Reaper?)

I can just imagine your spiel to the elderly gent...

"Yeah, they're all right the old Lexus, but not a patch on an Audi. Do you read Autocar?. Yeah, I'd be doing you a service taking off your hands, and you know, the problem with these old cars, they can be a death-trap. Do you have grand-kids? Yeah, and accidents can happen. They do happen, at any time. I'd hate for you to get hurt. Or the grand-kids. And one night, who knows, 'Whoomf!', there it goes, up in smoke. Anyway, have a think about it, take care now. There's a lot of dangerous people out there..."

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Popped to the local Waitrose for some bits and bobs and noticed a MY2000 GS 300 in one of the disabled spaces with a couple just getting out.

Walked inside the suupermarket but checked the car on the GOV.UK website (something I often do when I see something interesting). Impeccable MOT history and only 31,000 on the clock!

So I approached the old boy, gave him my card and politely asked that if he ever came to sell it to give me a call.

WAITROSE?

You gotta Civil Service Pension, then? 

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, rich1068 said:

Walked inside the supermarket but checked the car on the GOV.UK website (something I often do when I see something interesting). Impeccable MOT history and only 31,000 on the clock!

Which website did you use that also shows the mileage? - thanks

EDIT:

Found it: www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

My '98 GS300 which I've owned for 20 years has done 200k and purrs like new. It's questionable which of us will last the longest.

All the same, I might try my local Waitrose car park tomorrow and see what shows up.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I use it far too often. And if I'm driving I've even asked my eldest to put the details in for me :wink:

Is that "...my eldest..." as in "the-eldest-OAP-with-a-Lexus-I-keep-imprisoned-in-my lock-up-until-I-let-them-out-to-collect-their-pension-and-run-a-DVLA-check-and-then-they-may-be-so-grateful-they'll-give-me-their-car"?

Unbelievable.

A couple of cars back, I dithered over buying a similar one (in white) that was local to me. Hard to imagine a few years later they are now being advertised on classic car website!

So few good ones about now. That sort of metallic/pearlescent white? Lovely stuff.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, TigerFish said:

Mind you, for that money, I’d expect a working stereo emoji853.png

I assume it's a duff multi-changer? Similar problem that affects the first gen IS?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the car again today. Guess where? Yep, Waitrose car park. Clearly that's why it's only done 31k in nearly 20 years.

He'd left his wife in the car (she could barely walk when I saw them last time) so I just gave her a wave and a cheeky wink. She gave more of a grimace than a smile and reached for the door locks. Obviously I was quicker than her, she's like 90. But after the 40 minute chat we had with me leaning against the open door I think we made real progress. 

I'll keep you all posted.

12 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Saw the car again today. Guess where? Yep, Waitrose car park. Clearly that's why it's only done 31k in nearly 20 years.

He'd left his wife in the car (she could barely walk when I saw them last time) so I just gave her a wave and a cheeky wink. She gave more of a grimace than a smile and reached for the door locks. Obviously I was quicker than her, she's like 90. But after the 40 minute chat we had with me leaning against the open door I think we made real progress. 

You have absolutely no shame... 

AD.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Do let us all know when you have taken her out------the wife, not the car !!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well guess what? He rang me today. It turns out he has to give up driving (Parkinson's unfortunately) but I was the first person he thought of getting in touch with. Obviously I have my own now but if anyone is after an extremely low mileage GS300 give me a shout.

• Like 2

I reckon you gotta buy this off the old guy as he kept his side of the bargain! 😂

just means you'll have two! What's not to like and you can share the miles between them to keep it low!!😄😄

• Like 1