Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audio issues

This is the last current issue I have with my is200 so fingers crossed it won’t be a nightmare. I know this is something that has been covered many times but I’m seeing quite a few different opinions on what to do. A lot of the topics seem to be from about 10 years ago (granted I’m pretty rubbish at knowing how to find what I want on the forum, so apologies if there is an obvious answer to this).

I have next to no reception on the FM setting on the radio, I’ve had it out and unplugged the aerial. It goes from very little reception to no reception.

Also, my passenger side speaker isn’t currently working at all. Is this likely just to be a blown speaker or is there a common issue that goes on with these?

The head unit I have is this one

a8751087e94ebbb62841907de7d092d3.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Due to the location of the antenna and the long run needed to get to the head unit there is an antenna amplifier built into the antenna base on the roof. If a non standard antenna is screwed into it (if you have one with detachable antenna) they don't tend to work too well and it possibly could have damaged it - or it just could have failed.

Often when a third party headunit is used the power feed for the antenna amplifier is forgotten which results in poor reception but as you have a standard head unit, I'd assume the wiring is all present and correct.

If you have a standard aerial to hand I'd plug that into the socket on the head unit and see if that improves things - that way you know the head unit is ok.

For the speaker, it could be just the speaker, you could always swap them over just to check. If it isn't the speaker then depending on the grade is IS200 the amp is either integrated into the head unit or a separate amp which is located behind the glovebox. Given that you seem to have heated seats, you will have a separate amp.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Due to the location of the antenna and the long run needed to get to the head unit there is an antenna amplifier built into the antenna base on the roof. If a non standard antenna is screwed into it (if you have one with detachable antenna) they don't tend to work too well and it possibly could have damaged it - or it just could have failed.

Often when a third party headunit is used the power feed for the antenna amplifier is forgotten which results in poor reception but as you have a standard head unit, I'd assume the wiring is all present and correct.

If you have a standard aerial to hand I'd plug that into the socket on the head unit and see if that improves things - that way you know the head unit is ok.

For the speaker, it could be just the speaker, you could always swap them over just to check. If it isn't the speaker then depending on the grade is IS200 the amp is either integrated into the head unit or a separate amp which is located behind the glovebox. Given that you seem to have heated seats, you will have a separate amp.

I have the same antenna problem on my new aftermarket stereo i have fitted, does anyone know what the colour of the antenna amplifier wire is ?

Cheers Colin. I’ve done some more investigating and it turns out that the speakers are fine! I’m using one of those aux tap deck converter things at the moment because the FM isn’t working, so I’ve only been playing music through that. For the first time I’ve tried a cd (pulled one out from the back of a cupboard) and all speakers were working fine. So either the tape deck is dodgy or the aux converter isn’t the best (I’m guessing the latter)... I’m not really bothered about either of them.

In terms of the fm signal, I’ve tried a few different screw in aerials and they make no difference. I know you meant previously to try a new aerial in the back of the head unit, just struggling to get hold of one atm but it’s next on the list.

Below I’ve put a picture in of the back of the head unit. I’ve unplugged the a/c controls just for ease of seeing what’s going on but all of the head unit cables I’ve left as I’ve found them. Does that all look correct to you?

3d349a42f8bbb3c418f6d467b27f9b07.jpg

I unplugged the little white connector to the very right of the screen which connects to the aerial, and it made no difference to the signal. Is that for the power feed that you mentioned? If so it looks like that isn’t working and then I can figure it out from there.

Cheers

that certainly looks like the feed, going off with the aerial lead. In theory that should be connecting into the stereo - be interesting to trace where it is going and if there is +12v on it once the ignition is on.

I’ll have a look.

Do you know exactly where the amp for the antenna is? Thought it might be an idea to check that. I know its somewhere behind the glovebox isn’t it?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Going to have another look at this today.

The wire just disappears with the rest of the wires into the dash so not too sure, can’t really see why the power to that would suddenly stop working if it’s the factory head unit.

Is there a fuse for the powered aerial? And do you know where it is?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links