Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF EBC Brake Pads

On 5/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Martin F said:

Good spot, they are expensive aren't they. I just hope that Yellow Racing or Tarox produce an alternative set of discs and callipers and pads.

I've currently got Yellow Racing discs and callipers on my modified Mine and they are superb with literally no brake dust.

I put Tarox Bespoke on my Phaeton as the OEM's warped with it being such a heavy car and never had a problem so hopefully in time maybe one of these companies will open up the market a bit.

• 1 month later...

Just in case it interests anyone, fitted EBC Red stuff pads to my fronts. Currently in the ‘bedding in’ phase. Very easy to swap out I have to admit. Also got to clean the callipers thoroughly! So far I would say they feel the same as OE (not necessarily a bad thing). Will see how they feel after the bed in and under harsher braking! 200 miles of ‘urban driving’ here I come... 😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And just as an update for anyone wishing to avoid the *cough* hilarious Lexus prices for brakes... Replaced my fronts with EBC reds and now I have more than throughly bedded them in, would say they feel the same under regular everyday driving but the bite is much more noticeable for heavy braking, would also like to say that 90% of the god awful brake squeal the F's seem to be infamous for has disappeared and as an added bonus, hell of a lot less brake dust being generated in between washes! 😄

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

And just as an update for anyone wishing to avoid the *cough* hilarious Lexus prices for brakes... Replaced my fronts with EBC reds and now I have more than throughly bedded them in, would say they feel the same under regular everyday driving but the bite is much more noticeable for heavy braking, would also like to say that 90% of the god awful brake squeal the F's seem to be infamous for has disappeared and as an added bonus, hell of a lot less brake dust being generated in between washes! 😄

Good helpful info thanks, so there is a definite reduction in brake dust. It's strange the chap who used to tune my RX7 always said EBC were crap and was reluctant to put them on one of my Renault vans although I've not noticed any difference brake wise, the van has been remapped so needed better pads.

Noticed my front pads were looking a bit thin.(like the top of my head but not like the rest of me.....)

Ordered a set for mine today. Good to hear someone having a positive experience with alternative pads.

Pad kit was £493 and change from Lexus. However this Includes wear indicators which are £140 each if bought separately. EBC redstuff were £112 for the pads only.

looking at the us forum, they suggest the wear indicator flags at 2mm of pad left. So will whip them off and change them as soon as they arrive from EBC, so I can reuse the existing wear sensors.

i let you know how I get on!

2 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

Noticed my front pads were looking a bit thin.(like the top of my head but not like the rest of me.....)

Ordered a set for mine today. Good to hear someone having a positive experience with alternative pads.

Pad kit was £493 and change from Lexus. However this Includes wear indicators which are £140 each if bought separately. EBC redstuff were £112 for the pads only.

looking at the us forum, they suggest the wear indicator flags at 2mm of pad left. So will whip them off and change them as soon as they arrive from EBC, so I can reuse the existing wear sensors.

I took mine off with about 3mm left, and would say the 2mm estimate is about right. The swap was also fairly painless, but I would confess we have a better than average working space and available equipment. A couple of light precision blows got all the bolts started and then finished by hand with a firm wiggle! Gave the calipers a very deep clean, as well as all the brake dust covered bolts that came out, making refitting much smoother too.

My only other small 'heads up' is the wearing in phase once you've fitted the EBC's, the wheels were very very red after the first week of driving, but it is only the coating that comes on the first layer of the pads, but by the time it came to washing it a week later, it was back to a 'regular' brake dust colour haha!

Best of luck! 😄

21 hours ago, Killysprint said:

Also just out of curiosity, what mileage are you roughly at for your brake change? I made it to around 30k mark and probs had a little more left, just wondering how heavy footed I have been... 😄

4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Also just out of curiosity, what mileage are you roughly at for your brake change? I made it to around 30k mark and probs had a little more left, just wondering how heavy footed I have been... 😄

33,000. Pads arriving tomorrow.  Will get them fitted thurs or fri.

• Like 1

All done and dusted.

Old pads had about 3mm left on them. Just above the wear indicator.

Were a cinch to change, thoroughly cleaned callipers while the wheels were off.

First impressions are good, initial bite seems to be better than the OEM pads. It remains to be seen if this continues.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

All done and dusted.

Old pads had about 3mm left on them. Just above the wear indicator.

Were a cinch to change, thoroughly cleaned callipers while the wheels were off.

First impressions are good, initial bite seems to be better than the OEM pads. It remains to be seen if this continues.....

Very pleasing when it is so effortless isn't it? Can then spend the time to clean without being stressed of getting it all back together in time for next use!

• 4 months later...

I found an online parts place called 'win parts' - it seems to have everything, discs and pads for front and rear, when I check mine next, might take the plunge and see if they are any good as the prices are reasonable. Hadn't mentioned them on here before now as i don't usually like to point people in directions I've never been. If you are feeling lucky, might be worth a shot? 😄

9 hours ago, Fair and square said:

Thanks Hockey.

I haven't heard of most of the brands that are on the site 😂 apart from the Ferodo!

Any other GSF owners able to point in the direction of NONE OEM Rear pads?

Hence the scepticism 😛 but it does list brembo discs so I was gonna give them a whirl 😄

I clocked the brembo discs 😉😃

The GSF EBC front brake pads specify on the box "LS460 09 ON", does this means that the 09 LS460 and GSF share the same front pad set up? If so, should I question if the LS460 rear pads will fir the GSF?

Does anyone know if the rear GSF pads are shared with any other car?

4 hours ago, Fair and square said:

Does anyone know if the rear GSF pads are shared with any other car?

The RC F 😀

The LS460 may have the same physical size front pads as the GS F, but because the friction material is different the part codes are different. Same applies to the rear so cannot tell just by the part codes if they are the same physical size or not 😞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the dimensions are correct, and the OE part code is correct too, cannot tell if the fiction surface is the same spec but likely to be.

I changed my front pads today to Red Stuff to stop the squealing, had a look at the rotors but couldn't see any part codes on them.

Hi all, sorry to piggyback the thread.

Just had my 4 year service done and the brake discs were flagged as needing looking at for the next service.

Needless to say I won't be accepting the dealer quote of £1700 (ish).

Will start shopping around I guess 😫

On 1/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, Fair and square said:

The GSF EBC front brake pads specify on the box "LS460 09 ON", does this means that the 09 LS460 and GSF share the same front pad set up? If so, should I question if the LS460 rear pads will fir the GSF?

Looked further into this. The LS has completely different rear pads to the RC F / GS F. 

17 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

I think I am gonna give winparts a bash, part no. appears to line up and I reckon it's worth a punt 🤣

For rear pads winparts have nothing branded (£50 eco Ferodos I question if they will be upto the job of GSF demands) so far my only find for rear pads are Lexus OEM!

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Looked further into this. The LS has completely different rear pads to the RC F / GS F. 

Thank you!

I have emailed EBC, they have said that they no longer supply rear pads for the GSF/RCF, I replied to them but they have not responded, that was 3 weeks ago! I have since followed up last week but still no response - I take that as "no interest".

@Fair and square - Project Mu make pads for the GSF.

May be worth a shout if you want something decent on there.  Not cheap but but could be cheaper than Lexus.

http://www.modinjapan.com/project-mu-type-ns-rear-brake-pads-for-lexus-rc-f-and-gs-f.html

5 hours ago, Fair and square said:

For rear pads winparts have nothing branded (£50 eco Ferodos I question if they will be upto the job of GSF demands) so far my only find for rear pads are Lexus OEM!

Apologies for the misleading sentence, I was referring to discs, not pads! My bad... 😕