Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

Fitted an new parking brake damper to my 1996 LS400, a bit fiddly doing it under the dash. I had to remove the smaller bottom dash cover and unbolt an electronic control module (don’t know which one it was) to get decent access to the top of the damper to unclip it but, apart from that and working on my back under the dash, it was pretty straightforward.

The parking brake wasn’t returning properly, I had to use my left foot to flick it up fully so the parking brake light went off and it was annoying me. It is better for sure and will see how it goes over the next few days. Not 100% sure it’s fixed though, maybe the return spring is a little weak as well. Not exactly cheap for the new damper but, as usual for the LS400, it’s a proper piece of engineering. Approx £80 with postage😬

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in the week I fitted a new VSV for ACIS to my LS430. It took me 7 hours. There were plenty of components to disconnect or remove. The intake was heavy and awkward to lift off. I didn't have the luxury of a helper.

I put everything back together, started the engine and found a coolant leak from the water bypass at the back of the intake. It was leaking where the vertical pipe joins the housing, about one drip per second.

Next day I tried to put some sealant around it but the part is very inaccessible. I sealed what I could reach, left it overnight to set and hoped for the best.

Today it was still leaking. The only way to get access is to re-do all the work done earlier and remove the intake. After another 4 hours' work I managed to get the water bypass off the car. I could have tried to seal it with JB Weld but to test it would have meant putting everything back again and running the engine. I did not want to risk the repair not working and having to take the intake off again. I went to the main dealer and asked them to order me the bypass and 2 gaskets.

Tomorrow I am going to enjoy not working on the car.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, The-Acre said:

So no stay in Mousehole?  It must have been tempting!

Sadly no. My dog Ella started fitting at 1am and I thought she was over the worst so I carried on down to Cornwall my wife staying with Ella and my daughter who was popping in to see if she could help in any way (She's a Senior veterinary nurse) as it was she was still fitting and so I drove back straight away. Got back and I knew what was to be done, so my daughter and I took her over to the Veterinary Hospital and she went to sleep. She was born blind and deaf but she was a brave dog and she had a happy 10 years with us.

DSCN2095.JPG

• Sad 2

Sorry Mike. I know how upset I was when my Labradors, Harry and Phoebe, died. After that I said I would not have another dog, as it was so painful. We were without a dog for 18 months and my wife could not stand it. We now have another Lab - Ludo - who drives me crackers at times but we love him to bits.

When the world p***.es you off and people get on your nerves, you can  always come home to a wonderful greeting from a dog.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Sadly no. My dog Ella started fitting at 1am and I thought she was over the worst so I carried on down to Cornwall my wife staying with Ella and my daughter who was popping in to see if she could help in any way (She's a Senior veterinary nurse) as it was she was still fitting and so I drove back straight away. Got back and I knew what was to be done, so my daughter and I took her over to the Veterinary Hospital and she went to sleep. She was born blind and deaf but she was a brave dog and she had a happy 10 years with us.

DSCN2095.JPG

I am so sorry. Your dog, Ella looked very special.

And what a great example to us all, with our petty moans and groans in life, to be presented with such an example of triumph over adversity. Truly humbling.

Having had an almost pathological fear of dogs most of my life, I was outvoted and we now have one.

My view has changed - unconditional love.

I am sure Ella enjoyed a happy and fulfilling life and an amazing sense of smell.

( Platitudes I know, but heartfelt and well meant. )

May she rest - and play - in peace.

Piers. 

10 hours ago, Bluesman said:

DSCN2095.JPG

We're actually in Cornwall now, just 6 miles from Mousehole but everywhere here is just heaving with people, I've never seen Cornwall like it.  We've got our dog with us and at around 11 years old is starting to have muscle spasms in her back legs. This is her watching the Cornish world go by.  I've always had dogs and loosing them seems to get harder as I get older.

IMG_20200913_102836176.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Passed MOT today with Lexus Glasgow, all green and no advisories.

As always, Service Department was great but I sadly agreed for them (Lexus) to wash my car and I think they better didn't touch it, very bad job and I am sure it was not 2 backet wash, why did I agree?! The car looks dirtier then it was when I went in, how is that possible?! 

I can't wait for a call from Lexus (I usually do receive it) to find out my opinion on todays visit, I have something to tell them! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Passed MOT today with Lexus Glasgow, all green and no advisories.

As always, Service Department was great but I sadly agreed for them (Lexus) to wash my car and I think they better didn't touch it, very bad job and I am sure it was not 2 backet wash, why did I agree?! The car looks dirtier then it was when I went in, how is that possible?! 

I can't wait for a call from Lexus (I usually do receive it) to find out my opinion on todays visit, I have something to tell them! 🙂

WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU WAITING VLAD ?

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Significant achievement made on my Mk1 LS400, when I used it for dad's taxi duty last night - found out that the cassette player works.

I`d like to know what was on the cassette ---Dean Martin, Ruby Murray, Enrico Caruso ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`d like to know what was on the cassette

I frequently listen to mine .........  Richard Burton Taming of the Shrew for instance !  oh and some music ones too

Malc

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`d like to know what was on the cassette ---Dean Martin, Ruby Murray, Enrico Caruso ?

Not quite! Admittedly that was the kind of music the previous owner removed from the CD magazine when I purchased it from him.

It's a mid '90s Jungle compilation I recorded off a housemate's LP - sounds good on the decent stereo in the LS 🙂

• Like 1

Spotted a superb looking LS 400 W reg in that lovely metallic jade green (Sorry can't remember name of actual colour) passed my drive just as I was pulling out. Chased the poor guy to the golf course and had a very brief word as there was traffic coming. He said he has two! Not sure if he meant LS 400's or two Lexus cars. It looked a beauty! Mature chap with a beard!

Was it you?