Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

A few weeks ago had the rear tyres replaced with avon ZV7 and passed the MOT with no advisories and now nearly on 185,000. Had fronts done in April as one tire puncture repaired 5 times and leaking slowly, so had fronts replaced. They are much more quiet that the goodyear efficient grip that were 3-4 years old.

Around 14 months ago installed a new air con condenser to my 2006 IS 220D and in the last very hot spell felt the AC wasn't as cold as it was. Had it on the machine and re-gassed after evacuation and pressure test. Now lovely ice cold on the drivers side as well.

Perfect in this weather! James.

• Like 2

I have an MOT and service next week so I checked my rear brake caliper pins. I last did them 18 months and 10k miles ago. They were all moving freely.

I had used ProSlip Pin Pad and Clip (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProSlip-Caliper-Lubricant-Toyota-Mercedes/dp/B07886FP12/ref=sr_1_1?crid=115380ERMK3HS&keywords=proslip+pin&qid=1566767679&s=gateway&sprefix=Proslip%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-1) which I have mentioned on these forums before. I have no connection with the company other than as a very satisfied customer.

Only a few posts back somebody had used the wrong greases and their pins were in trouble.

John

• Like 4

After changing my rear brake pads 10 days ago I am still not happy with my brakes, they still vibrate or grab when brake from 40mph and above, very annoying!

May be these are the discs that are faulty and not the callipers and pads?

Thinking to give a call to Lexus Glasgow tomorrow to get a quote for new discs and pads!

This is all strange as the car only covered 41,5k miles and visually the discs look absolutely fine and not worn!

Well, lets see what Lexus has to offer!

This is so annoying! 

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

After changing my rear brake pads 10 days ago I am still not happy with my brakes, they still vibrate or grab when brake from 40mph and above, very annoying!

May be these are the discs that are faulty and not the callipers and pads?

Thinking to give a call to Lexus Glasgow tomorrow to get a quote for new discs and pads!

This is all strange as the car only covered 41,5k miles and visually the discs look absolutely fine and not worn!

Well, lets see what Lexus has to offer!

This is so annoying! 

Vlad,

Before getting into big money, I would suggest getting some Proslip greases for £10.95 and then clean out the old grease and reassemble with pin pad and clip. It might be worth checking the disks have very little or no run-out (rotating without wobble). If they have, take them off clean the mating faces thoroughly and put back. If still some run-out remove and move round one stud and try again. 

Why do you think it is the rear brakes and not the fronts?

John

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Vlad,

Before getting into big money, I would suggest getting some Proslip greases for £10.95 and then clean out the old grease and reassemble with pin pad and clip. It might be worth checking the disks have very little or no run-out (rotating without wobble). If they have, take them off clean the mating faces thoroughly and put back. If still some run-out remove and move round one stud and try again. 

Why do you think it is the rear brakes and not the fronts?

John

Hi John, I am not sure the rear brakes are causing the issue but they were in much much worst (rust) conditions than a front ones and then I had that issue with rear pad shoe disintegrated from the pad also at the rear. May be it is front ones, don't know.

Thanks for the advice above, I am having that grease on my wish list and most likely i will get it very soon.

Funny thing is that none of the pin sliders (front or rear) were seized or tight! 

Just ordered a Proslip grease while writing this! lol! :)

• Like 1

Just a quick update, took apart my front brakes yesterday, visually they are fine, the thickness of the front discs in average 29mm and the thickness of the pads about 8.8-9.2mm, may be I can say that discs slightly worn on the inside side but nothing I would worry about, I couldn't tell if they are warped either.

Anyway, I cleaned everything and relubricated using a Proslip grease suggested by @OldTrout above! So took it for a short test drive and didn't feel a single wobble/judder during braking and was very happy but wanted to check it at motorway speeds going to work, so today driving to work and joining the slip road at about 60mph and while braking I think I felt some little judder, it was nothing as bad as it was previously, my wife wouldn't even feel anything like that if she was driving but I think I felt it, may be it is psychological! :)

Well, i think I can live with the way brakes work now but need to start saving money for a new set of front brakes and pads!

Well, it wasn't my paranoia, the car still judders when braking, not as bad as it was but still annoying! 
Can it be anything else apart from front discs?

I would buy new ones now but not 100% sure it's the discs! 

At the moment I am looking for someone who can skim the discs, no luck so far.

Gave myself more work than I care for - Too old for all this malarkey!  However stripped back the plastic to check and replace the plugs, Lead set, Coil (not two- 2nd too difficult to get to) possibly the ECT (Cabling looks difficult to just lift off the unit, so probably will leave alone (temp always constant on long trips) to get to the bottom of the occaisonal misfire on overtaking at speed (120kph) doesn't go into O/D  and one in the Dartford Tunnel  (45 mph) not something you want to experience.

Changed plugs before - Dont buy Prospark! only good thing about them is that they are numbered. however their lengths don't match and as you can see in photo's I've possibly discovered part of the problem.  No 1 spark lead (I had to replace put back the old Yazaki lead, three years ago as the plastic shroud or Cam spliced through the No 1 the moment I started the engine.  It ran on 7, Doh!

Well,  you can see No 1 lead has been touching the Cam belt in two places and maybe causing the spark to divert. Not sure.   I put in Brisk spark plugs last time as I thought I'd go LPG.  THe LPG kit is in my Hall for sale on t'bay as I don't think it will ever happen. Wales is too far to go.

Number 5 cylinder plug I pulled and apart from it being oily on the thread the burn looks OK to me.  I have a new set of Denso's but they are not easy to get out and the Brisks have only done 20k so may leave in.  Wife wants me to take her to the Dentist tomorrow (havn'y you finioshed the job yet? etc  (no I made that up) and it should be back together if I leave the plugs. A new Throttle position to be fitted as may be the cause of my problem or wrng calibration. I have diffculty with the Lexls explanation of how to Calibrate. Also each vutube vid always shows three terminals and we have four. Diagram doesn't epclain which is what on Lexls photo.

So, busy busy busy! Lucky me!

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

• Like 2

Changed colour of front carbon F grille badge AGAIN 😂 

From no backing

to translucent ruby red 

then all red backing 

then blue backing to blue F with carbon inserts then

finally decided on red F with carbon inserts 

Confusing my neighbors and myself 😂 

E5AAB50E-BA1D-4C3E-8366-92E38D2C8A17.jpeg

01765970-9509-4118-86DB-AE627FFFFBB2.jpeg

9BB2872D-5432-45F2-A3DE-577847ACE6EB.jpeg

1BB12527-A62D-4DF4-BB9F-EF734ED37DA7.jpeg

4E1AB2C5-EF2B-4ACA-8096-81563EC9F56F.jpeg

648ADB99-780E-498F-82BB-AFFEA5CD31FB.jpeg

28941984-9922-4D4A-B1D7-12CB207034FF.jpeg

• Like 2

As a way to say thank you to the Lexus community and for helping us grow the Lexus Parts Direct website, we are offering all existing customers Free Shipping on all orders over £100.  

Use discount code LOVELEXUS

*Free shipping up to the value of £5.99 on all orders over £100.00 
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluesman said:

My Lexie LS400 got assaulted by a Land Rover. He had only had it a week, what a shame. Will sort a pic.

image.thumb.png.cf6d20aebb56720c86b213ce31979a52.png

Deal directly with the infidel in the Landrover Mike and steer clear of insurance..

He will probably have the resources to pay for the repair and the desire to protect such driving record as he has.

Good luck.

17 hours ago, Bluesman said:

My Lexie LS400 got assaulted by a Land Rover. He had only had it a week, what a shame. Will sort a pic.

image.thumb.png.cf6d20aebb56720c86b213ce31979a52.png

Such a shame for a cherished Motor.  Hope perhaps a new bonnet may be all thats needed? Can't see the other side of course or Air con stuff.   Has the Bumper been destroyed? Hope its repairable Mike

Back on the road again (as the song goes) . Running smooth.  Passed on servicing the IACV as not as easy as it is on the earliest model.  Didn't change the Throttle control sensor as need to better understand calibration and replacing Leads may with increased spark resolve my strange misfire at speed and failure to go into O/d. Who knows?   The right hand side Spark plug and Leads cover is always a pig and I cut out another piece in the hope I wouldn't snap a Lead.  Some people I see cut the piece where it extends to cover the plugs making it a two part, which makes sense, as impossible to see that Leads are snagged or just being pressed down.

I know that Spark Plugs are often mentioned and I would say that the Brisk Silver plugs for LPG / CNG seem in very good order after 20k miles.  (ask if you'd like to see a photo).  I did change them to Denso's just in case there was an issue.  Have both sorts of Torque bar but in the end its difficult on some plugs and decided to just use my own understanding of how tight they should feel. Always a fear of over torquing.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bluesman said:

My Lexie LS400 got assaulted by a Land Rover.

absolutely devastating news there, so so sad ..............  it looks terminal from an insurance point of view tbh, they would w/o your car for a blemish on the bumper

I was side swiped by an 02 plate Porsche Boxter on the 20th, whacked his nearside front wing into my rear offside door moving onto a roundabout.......  initial insurance estimate for my door repair for insurers is @£1500 BUT to just push and pull and leave a couple of tiny creases it might cost a tenth of that he's happy to tell me ...  no paint needed fortunately

The insurers will insist on a new door etc etc etc .....  now with Saga my insurers, I've told them I'm keeping the car as there's no structural damage just cosmetic, she drives perfectly as usual

BUT they would write her off given the chance ( they won't get it ) I surmise so just seeing where this all takes me

I didn't report it to you guys, wanted to wait to see what transpires first 👻

BUT Bluesman, she looks desperately sad and my heart goes out to you, your cherished steed

Anything we can do to help ?

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks boys for all your kind words. It looks worse than it is. The worst is the bonnet needs replacing as well as the front bumper. Both wings are OK as well as the grill. Headlights are OK. The cross member the bonnet catch sits on needs some sympathetic hammering to push it back. 

As others have said the insurance co want to write it off but they don't have any chance. I have sourced all the parts apart from the front bumper. The guy I am getting all the parts off says he is having a black one in in about a months time but I will keep hunting for a green one to save on a respray.

Cant wait to get going now and get her back to her fine looking body again.

Thanks again chaps.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Got another bonnet today and its in the correct colour jade green. Jackpot. Need to keep my eyes open for a front bumper and I think we can put her all back together again.

Excellent, and I seem to remember some years ago you had similar luck with a door?  I'm glad it's not terminal. 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Excellent, and I seem to remember some years ago you had similar luck with a door?  I'm glad it's not terminal. 👍

It might have been terminal Phil if the Insurance Company had handled matters.

There are times and circumstances when without being in Breach of Contract matters can be concluded most satisfactorily.

Well done Mike.

well here we go fellas

update on my crunch 20th August

Saga's loss adjusters have just called to advise me the write-off value is £1400 after my piccys etc ( she cost me £1400 in June 2011 :whistling: 100k miles back ) now on 223k miles

............. less the excess, less the buyback, less a new MOT, but NOT having to re-insure, the existing carries on unabated .....  would leave me with about £650 to then pay for the knock to be fixed, say £150 ..........  advised them to hold it all in abeyance until I actually hear from Saga the outcome, or progress with the claim on the 3rd party ! ( at least to maybe reclaim my excess etc )

I'll call them end of next week, it's only been 16 days or so !

OR I have the option it seems to just drop MY insce claim for this and carry on as normal, no money, no new MOT, just the cost and inconvenience of having the door fixed ( a 2hr job I'm advised )

Cest Le Vie

I'll update if anyone's interested in the outcome :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

well here we go fellas

update on my crunch 20th August

Saga's loss adjusters have just called to advise me the write-off value is £1400 after my piccys etc ( she cost me £1400 in June 2011 :whistling: 100k miles back ) now on 223k miles

............. less the excess, less the buyback, less a new MOT, but NOT having to re-insure, the existing carries on unabated .....  would leave me with about £650 to then pay for the knock to be fixed, say £150 ..........  advised them to hold it all in abeyance until I actually hear from Saga the outcome, or progress with the claim on the 3rd party ! ( at least to maybe reclaim my excess etc )

I'll call them end of next week, it's only been 16 days or so !

OR I have the option it seems to just drop MY insce claim for this and carry on as normal, no money, no new MOT, just the cost and inconvenience of having the door fixed ( a 2hr job I'm advised )

Cest Le Vie

I'll update if anyone's interested in the outcome :whistling:

Malc

Malcolm, you said in your first post that you were swiped by the Porsche.

Ask the owner of the Porsche to pay for the repairs to your car and do not go through insurance.

If he refuses, then sue him in the small claims court for the full cost of the repairs to your car and for which he is responsible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Ask the owner of the Porsche to pay for the repairs

I did, he told me to go and " do one "  hence I told my insurers in the first instance, he said he was going through his own insurers, the AA   ( alcoholics anonymous ! )

I'll keep my powder dry for now 😉

Malc