Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done much recently on the car but I have bought some parts ready for a rear end rebuild next year. 2 x new genuine OEM rear UCA's, 2 new genuine OEM rear carrier hub sub-assy's and lots of genuine OEM bolts and nuts for the rear end. 2 x Blueprint rear wheel bearing kits and 2 x Blueprint handbrake cables. The main bits I wanted were the UCA's and hub assemblies, the rest are a bonus. My car has slight play in one rear hub bush and they are not available separately (expensive for Lexus to replace....new hub/bearing etc needed) but aftermarket ones are available. Which I would have been quite happy using but I came across these bits and I couldn't pass on them considering that I plan to rebuilt the rear end in spring next year. I just need a decent rear subframe to refurbish and build up ready to swop over, if I don't get one I'll rebuild the one in the car but it will take longer for the whole job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the headlight bulbs with ‘H4 OSRAM Night Breaker Laser 150% Next Generation 12V 60/55W’ yesterday. Made a big difference, I wanted to keep everything original but the originals were just not bright enough on dip for me.

• Like 1

Drove my Lexus through some torrential rain today, plenty of surface water and spray. Had to drive through a flooded underpass, water was approx sill height. I waited, much to the annoyance of following cars, for a gap in the oncoming traffic then drove very much on the opposite side of the road not because the water might have been shallower there but to prevent any oncoming vehicles entering the flood and causing a bow wave. Car went through without problem. Not something I would want to do too often...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got my tyre changed today and wheel alignment done (it is needed to be done apparently) at Lexus Glasgow, so the accident with the pothole cost me £221!

I have not driven my GS for 2 weeks and it felt so good to be back and comfy! I had Mazda CX-5 diesel on holidays and then I was driving my wifes Citroen (diesel as well) and it was good to be back to vibration free salon! 🙂

Was not much impressed by Mazda, have to say I used to like it the way it looks and the reviews always were nice, but no, I wouldn't get one and the main reason are front pillars - a bus can be hidden behind them, these are massive!

It was also the first car I drove with Head Up Display, sign recognition and lane keeping control - loved all of these features!

• Like 1

Mot'd my Lexus yesterday - 2 advisories, front discs showing rust on inside  and a rear shock slightly damp. Discs have done 25k, so quite pleased as far better than previous blueprint and lexus ones, so I'll replace with same (pagid). Also got cambelt (didn't look worn) and accessory belt done (10 years and 55k) along with plugs and annual oil/filter change, so should be good for another year. It could do with paintwork at top of screen as it's starting to rust in this area, plus a small blister on rear n/s wheel arch, but all in all, not bad for 21 years old and 178,000 miles, and still looks good.

Pete

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, plastic orange said:

Mot'd my Lexus yesterday - 2 advisories, front discs showing rust on inside  and a rear shock slightly damp. Discs have done 25k, so quite pleased as far better than previous blueprint and lexus ones, so I'll replace with same (pagid). Also got cambelt (didn't look worn) and accessory belt done (10 years and 55k) along with plugs and annual oil/filter change, so should be good for another year. It could do with paintwork at top of screen as it's starting to rust in this area, plus a small blister on rear n/s wheel arch, but all in all, not bad for 21 years old and 178,000 miles, and still looks good.

Pete

All good news Peter. You are now approaching Lunar Orbit !

On 12/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, Razor61 said:

My car has slight play in one rear hub bush and they are not available separately (expensive for Lexus to replace....new hub/bearing etc needed) but aftermarket ones are available.

Yet to  make up a tool for Bush removal from Hub whilst in situ.  Not seen one on eBay. Most modern Scaffolding pipe is the wrong internal diameter (my 93 bush is differen to later model Car bushes.) but I do have an older length of Scaf pipe which I may be able to cut off a length to oblige. Accuracy is the problem.  I found this very useful to watch. Not sure I can somehow strap down the Reciprocating Saw I own as it more bulky etc.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckHFP1pFZ4

• 4 weeks later...

My GS is due service in 4k miles, with my current daily mileage it will about 2 months, so I popped in to Lexus Glasgow to find out prices for a Full Service. The price is £700 that includes spark plugs change and rear diff oil. I am very tempted to do spark plugs myself (if weather gets better ever) but have heard it is a pain in a neck to do!

I priced the parts for a Full Service, it came to £210, so I might buy the parts from Lexus and do the rest independently. 

Does anyone know if I need a special spanner to remove the spark plugs i.e is there a tricky access to some of them that will require a longer tool or a socket?

If anyone has a link for a spark plug tool that they used and know it works please share. Thanks

Check  they have given you the price for the older Lexus, which is a reduced price which they don’t automatically offer, plus once you have the price if you are a gold member it will be cheaper again. Just a thought 👍🤗

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RgrWynne said:

Check  they have given you the price for the older Lexus, which is a reduced price which they don’t automatically offer, plus once you have the price if you are a gold member it will be cheaper again. Just a thought 👍🤗

Hi Roger, thanks for advice. I asked them about Essential Major Service which would be £400 but that service does not include Spark Plugs and diff oil, basically it is just a lot of checks and an engine oil change. My car will be 50k miles in a couple of months and 8 YO so I think spark plugs and diff oil won't heart it! 🙂

Regards being a Gold Member here, they do not really accept the discount but they know me and give me a 10-15% discount every time, well, it is hard to prove it tbh but when I get a bill I am always told that discount is included, without showing them a card. I will try to get parts cheaper from them (pushing a Gold member card) when times come to buy them.

Re: full price vs Essential Care. Firstly, I've found the older Lexus/Essential Care service to not be quite as comprehensive. Check the small print. Secondly, I've only been able to get the LOC discount on the full price service. My dealer won't further discount Essential Care. However, with Lexus Sheffield it actually worked out slightly cheaper (and more comprehensive) to go full service + discount.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Re: full price vs Essential Care. Firstly, I've found the older Lexus/Essential Care service to not be quite as comprehensive. Check the small print. Secondly, I've only been able to get the LOC discount on the full price service. My dealer won't further discount Essential Care. However, with Lexus Sheffield it actually worked out slightly cheaper (and more comprehensive) to go full service + discount.

That is exactly what I found out Richard, Essential is less comprehensive. 

It's a shame really. A bit of a half arsed attempt at luring owners away from independents. I believe BMW (or Sytner at least) do something similar and I don't know how it compares but it would be better if the service was identical but only available on cars over X old.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

It's a shame really. A bit of a half arsed attempt at luring owners away from independents. I believe BMW (or Sytner at least) do something similar and I don't know how it compares but it would be better if the service was identical but only available on cars over X old.

Agree Richard but otherwise it would be unfair to a new car owners, why do they have to pay more, unless they can get first 3 services as part of the deal when buying a new car.

I just checked the note a wrote while was at the garage and Essential Major service is not £400 but £440! I think if I go with Lexus doing it it would be a proper Full Service i.e for £700 that includes Spark Plugs and other stuff (Battery Check)! 

To be honest the service schedule on Lexus models is 90 percent checking the various moving parts and consumables. I have never had either of my two LS400s over 24 years serviced by Lexus I have had a cambelt change which the tech ballsed up and cost the dealership over a grand in new parts .

I do my own servicing and brakes I also change out fluids in the trans and brakes .The stated tasks are not beyond anyone with a grasp of simple mechanics and will save a fortune in labour and vat .

I  use recommended oils and parts and follow the service items in the service schedule apart from the fact I change the oil and filter every two years as it take me that long to do 9k miles, I regularly check the underside for any rust at the same time checking the suspension, obviously I wait for the better weather to complete those tasks.

My service schedules are signed off by me and I know that means nothing in terms of credibility for resale but as that is not a option it just keeps me up to date.

14 hours ago, ambermarine said:

To be honest the service schedule on Lexus models is 90 percent checking the various moving parts and consumables.

This is why I do not get why it is so expensive! As I said before it looks more like a Memo to a mechanic i.e Check Floor mats security, Torque tighten wheel bolts, check horn etc!

All these checkings and an oil change should take them an hour tops and par for it £440, no way!

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

This is why I do not get why it is so expensive! As I said before it looks more like a Memo to a mechanic i.e Check Floor Mats security, Torque tighten wheel bolts, check horn etc!

All these checkings and an oil change should take them an hour tops and par for it £440, no way!

Yes Vlad ,but someone as to pay for the marble tiled showroom and pretty receptionist and all those suits running about looking busy.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I decided to do spark plugs myself and today I thought it is a good day to do it, well, I managed to changed 5 out of 6! The one on passenger side is impossible to get to, really!

I am not sure if I want to come back to it or just ask Lexus to do it for me! Both hands are scratched due to limit access to some of them! Driver side is easy though! Any suggestions how to reach that 6th spark plug?! Thanks in advance!

I also washed the girl and now she looks really pretty! 

6 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Oh yes, that's a tricky one.

Keep at it and you'll eventually get the coil out. 

I recall unbolting the harness helped.

Good luck, you can do it!

Lee, I was looking at that harness but couldn't get to fasteners to loosen it, seriously it looked like it is not hard but impossible to get to it! I had my dad with me, so both of us were looking at it and trying different ways but that harness impossible to unbolt, I mean, for first 2 cylinders I manged to loosen it which gave me a decent access to 2 off spark plugs but the 3rd one is a bugger, it felt like harness has no play in it at cylinder number 3!

Noticed a rattle at idle, soon discovered that the near side rear exhaust heat shield had let go of 3 of the 4 fastenings and it was now sitting on top of the back box. Eventually managed to release one of the support rubbers then dropped the bracket off to allow a bit more movement to get to the fixing bolts above the back box. A quick spray with WD40 ensured the 10mm nuts came off the studs without shearing. Fitted some oversized washers then back on with the nuts. Refitted the support bracket and rubber support and no more rattle.

The other side was fixed the same way around 8 years ago so has done really well to last 26 years being only mild steel but bearing in mind the position above a nice warm exhaust not too surprised.

• Like 2

I received my CTEK charger a few days ago, without knowing how old my Battery is I connected and left it for Reconditioning and Charging, the Battery took charge and all is good now.

Happy that I bought it, my motorbike Battery needed it mostly as was struggling to start the bike!

• Like 1

Last week I gave the Car its bi-annual Wash and wax.    Scrubbed up quite nicely considering I only take off Birds muck and wash the wheels more regularly after long trips. She (oops) "it" is only 27 years young.  Did manage some time ago to almost push out that Hail dent in the rear d/s quarter wing.  If anyone has a T-Hotbox I'd be interested to know how they got on with it?  Saw Ed China (not his fault its his name!) using one on a Chevrolet Luv to remove dents from the roof. Amazing!  As I've got possibly fifty dents in total on boot, roof and bonnet, I may if I ever get to France again (praying frantically) spend some time removing the dents and of course re-spray the front wing with the proper colour (not eBay seller wrong paint chart) that I left over there. No garage here so...  

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links