Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

I have spent about 6 hours yesterday, started with removing all my wheels (one by one), washing them from both sides and then 1 coat of Poorboys sealant applied, I dis-assembled rear calipers and re-greased them, front ones looked clean. Then washed the car, tar removed, clay clean (I should spent more time clay cleaning though but it was getting late) and Carnauba wax on top! Now, i am siting in the house and not driving it due to well known reason, my wife didn't understand why I need to spend so much time on the car if next time i drive it might be coming weekend to go to shop! hard to explain to her. 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vlady said:

I have spent about 6 hours yesterday, started with removing all my wheels (one by one), washing them from both sides and then 1 coat of Poorboys sealant applied, I dis-assembled rear calipers and re-greased them, front ones looked clean. Then washed the car, tar removed, clay clean (I should spent more time clay cleaning though but it was getting late) and Carnauba wax on top! Now, i am siting in the house and not driving it due to well known reason, my wife didn't understand why I need to spend so much time on the car if next time i drive it might be coming weekend to go to shop! hard to explain to her. 🙂

Hand polishing is exhausting, i started thinking again of getting a Car Polisher, only if I had a proper garage I would have already bought one.

Watched so many videos already on youtube and the paint work does look so much better after a proper polish!

I am about to go out to the car, open the boot and sneak another four cans of the cider which I stocked up on before this virus thing kicked off into the house. I shall give her a gentle "thank you for looking after them" pat afterwards. Does this count?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Vlad , I do not have a garage so do everything outside. I bought an electric polisher a couple of years ago and agree it is much easier Rgds, Roger

Roger, I am very tempted, sitting in the house with the weather getting better is not easy, I think I will get one next week, roughly a week before a pay day! 🙂

Which one do you have Roger? Is Dual Action is really worth it? Thanks

Vlad

4 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Vlad I bought one of these a few years ago. Nothing special or sophisticated, I think from Lidl, but seems to do the job ok , Cheers, Roger

99117B6B-C143-4B07-BC46-AB41A853C12A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Moved the RX out of the car port onto the drive. 

Disconnected the Fiat 500 from the Ctek charger, reversed it out of the garage and gave it a tar removal session followed by a coat of Chemical Guys 'Blackllight' nano polish. 

Job done and everything done in reverse 😎

• Like 1

Changed the clear indicators that were on the car back to the original orange. The side indicators didn’t fit properly, they were too small and the front ones were full of water and misted up. Don’t know where the clear indicators came from but they were different and didn’t fit as well as they should.

Before

253A6AA5-24D7-420B-AE45-A6A910684A92.thumb.jpeg.d6eeee6a39f4a98b6dafde8ae4f68613.jpeg

after

40AB002F-9566-4748-B9AB-11935C81C5D7.thumb.jpeg.e110e0cbfe9ae2224a629b271c7b5f32.jpeg

238EAC29-D8CA-43B1-BB6B-AB8BE9083246.thumb.jpeg.13398deb320f224468eff5d4b7149246.jpeg

• Like 1

when I bought mine in 2011 from ACLex on here I asked him to please revert it all back to original with amber lenses etc and original springs and wheels rather than the DHP set-up he had so carefully crafted .......  I personally think these look better all original if possible

Malc

On the 12 March, we went over to Scotland (from Holland) to spend a couple of weeks with friends and family. On the 19th I received a text from the ferry company saying 'The last ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam leaves on the 21st - do you want to be on it?'  The answer was 'Yes' and we cut our visit short. Before we left, realising we'd be in lockdown for a while, I made a trip to Halfords to get some materials to clean and shine the Lexus. These are what I bought:

DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.e2fe90aa8ba8702bfc1fef6d2517c3fe.JPG

Over last weekend I set to work. I had never used a clay mitt before and was amazed how easy it was - and how effective. The headlight restorer worked well, also. The headlights weren't bad, but there was the odd scratch and a bit of discolouration in the corners. The kit is easy to use and comes complete with everything you need. After polishing, I applied the extra gloss protection. I'm very pleased with the result, see what you think:

DSC_0804.thumb.JPG.37a9f1332fc2e4f297bfea694c189a2b.JPG

DSC_0805.thumb.JPG.f8e978be29727e4ed3dde1413e303db0.JPG

DSC_0806.thumb.JPG.3e86785b72616624ae74388d2ab78d55.JPG

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.9cefb2dc157895977765e59f6c3dc0ba.JPG

I need to get the alloys refurbished.....but that can wait. Next weekend, I'll do the interior.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I didn't do anything to my car for a few weeks now, I don't use it enough and the weather is not great to wash it, even though I would love spend a few hours cleaning it.

Last night though, while locking my garage, I admired how well proportioned the car is, it was a nice sky as well so I took a few photos! I still love my GS!

It is a building site where we stay and Persimmon is not working just now but I think the rough background makes the car look even nicer. 🙂

20200520-190408.jpg

20200520-190412.jpg

• Like 3

Did the front pads, I bought  last year genuine Lexus (toyota) off a guy who had bought them and not fitted for half normal price on eBay.

The last time I fitted the front was 2015 just after I bought the car so there were 20k on them,They were 60% worn and there was probably another 15k in them but there is no need to take them to the wear alarm( which costs £45 if it wears through) as they get a lot of crap build up in the caliper and the pistons are more vulnerable to corrosion as they extend out of the pots.

Took a bit of getting out on the drivers side through the build up of brake dust in the pins but no corrosion at all .

But as always one job creates another as I chipped the now hardening paint on the edge of the wheel centre when removing the insert  ,now my pristine wheels have a blemish to be fair there are no other faults or corrosion since I had them done three years ago.

I will just live with the mark as a now departed friend once said ," You won't notice whilst running away from it".

Well the seat repair kit has still not been delivered so decided to change those “I’ve been sitting on the shelf for months” spark plugs.

Started on the passenger side bank as it’s a fair bit easier, covers off, leads exposed.

Right let’s get those plug leads off, 7, 5 and 3 tight but pulled off, No 1 awkward to grip pulled wire out left connection on top of spark plug, socket now won’t go over spark plug, curse and move to other bank.

All intake and covers off here we go, No 8 and 6 same as No1 ( Increased amount of cursing!)  4 and 2  came off.

Back inside to order a pair of surgical forceps to remove lead connectors left on plugs and order another new set of HT leads.

Forceps from fleabay a couple of quid, cheapest HT lead set £115.00. 

Over the pond to Rockauto, same leads now £60.00 (NGK) so went the whole hog and also ordered 2 distributor caps and rotor arms (Bosch) as these are still the original ones as far as I know. Total cost including shipping and prepaid VAT £114.00 with delivery by the end of next week. 

Never mind plenty of time and going nowhere.5966FCBA-F492-4A6D-B6C5-C51BFAF10AD6.thumb.jpeg.e25e016366d5d9f960a539ae5719ca80.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, Tulpen said:

On the 12 March, we went over to Scotland (from Holland) to spend a couple of weeks with friends and family. On the 19th I received a text from the ferry company saying 'The last ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam leaves on the 21st - do you want to be on it?'  The answer was 'Yes' and we cut our visit short. Before we left, realising we'd be in lockdown for a while, I made a trip to Halfords to get some materials to clean and shine the Lexus. These are what I bought:

DSC_0808.thumb.JPG.e2fe90aa8ba8702bfc1fef6d2517c3fe.JPG

Over last weekend I set to work. I had never used a clay mitt before and was amazed how easy it was - and how effective. The headlight restorer worked well, also. The headlights weren't bad, but there was the odd scratch and a bit of discolouration in the corners. The kit is easy to use and comes complete with everything you need. After polishing, I applied the extra gloss protection. I'm very pleased with the result, see what you think:

DSC_0804.thumb.JPG.37a9f1332fc2e4f297bfea694c189a2b.JPG

DSC_0805.thumb.JPG.f8e978be29727e4ed3dde1413e303db0.JPG

DSC_0806.thumb.JPG.3e86785b72616624ae74388d2ab78d55.JPG

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.9cefb2dc157895977765e59f6c3dc0ba.JPG

I need to get the alloys refurbished.....but that can wait. Next weekend, I'll do the interior.

My mistake, sorry.

It is nearly the end of May Brian.Have we missed the piccies or has the scourge of CV19 surrounded the Benelux ?

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

My mistake, sorry.

It is nearly the end of May Brian.Have we missed the piccies or has the scourge of CV19 surrounded the Benelux ?

Since lockdown, my good lady has decided that there a lot of 'little jobs' around the house that need doing. I will get to the interior of the car when I get 'time off for good behaviour'.   😯

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

Since lockdown, my good lady has decided that there a lot of 'little jobs' around the house that need doing. I will get to the interior of the car when I get 'time off for good behaviour'.   😯

So it’s not just me then, I’m still working on call out but the phone hasn’t rung for weeks....might start ringing myself 😀

Hold on a minute I think I have a misfire on the lawnmower, just get the toolbox out and take a look.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Replaced the boot seal yesterday with a genuine Lexus one, the boot ‘pops’ open now as shown in the video. Quite a big difference between the old flat tired seal and the new one which isn’t a surprise after 24 years use. It’s done well lasting that long really.

• Like 2

The OEM seal or “Weatherstrip” as Lexus refer to them has the advantage of being pre-shaped and no joint as opposed to the aftermarket generic offerings.

However the price difference at around 4 times the cost would have made me consider the cheaper option even though I prefer OEM parts.

Did you find any rust or rot on the seal lip around the boot?

4 hours ago, steve2006 said:

However the price difference at around 4 times the cost would have made me consider the cheaper option even though I prefer OEM parts.

Did you find any rust or rot on the seal lip around the boot?

Yep the OEM weather strip isn’t exactly cheap, £100 ish but it’s a doddle to fit without needing to glue the joint. I did find a slight bit of rust on the lip itself but nothing to write home about. If you are thinking about the corners where the water gathers at the bottom of the rear screen, I did find some surface rust last year when I removed the trim and weather strip to clean it all. I cleaned, treated and painted these areas and it’s fine. The 2 x trim outer retaining clips don’t fix in place so I’ve left them as they are for now. The corners are not fixed down with any sealant, I thought it best to leave them as they were for the time being. The trim isn’t going anywhere and at least I know I can lift them up to clean etc.

Just to add that the boot looks to be dry now after washing etc, I gave the whole area a good soak with the spray hose and the spare wheel well seemed dry. A bit of water gets in via the aerial to the left hand side but I’m not too bothered about it. I could remove the aerial, for the 4th time, and put a bit of sealant round the gasket but I not doing it all again.

• Like 1

Finally got around to fitting takeda air filter that i bought about 18 months ago . Been putting it off thinking it might be complicated but was pretty straightforward . Took me about 40 minutes and 10 of them were trying to get the MAF sensor off which should have taken about 2 seconds . I reckon I could do it next time in around half the time . Not sure if it will make any difference at all sound wise - haven't run the car yet since and not expecting any performance gains but glad to have it fitted to at least try it out .