Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

Adjusted the throttle cable on my 95 LS400 and took out the slack as there was too much in my opinion. Left a little bit of slack, throttle pedal is now how I like it - instant throttle response - and checked that the car still idled correctly when warm. Cruise control is better now as well, before it took too much time to react but much better now.

Changed the cabin air filter and reset the warning - took about 5 minutes real easy job 😁 Had it serviced last week oil and filters etc as well 

Replaced the ECU Temp Sensor (LS400 1996), took a hour or so taking my time and taking photos. I'll put together a guide and post it when I get chance.

When I put everything back (apart from the engine cover) and started the engine to check that the sensor didn't leak, I decided to put a wine glass with filled with some water on top of the inlet manifold and rev the engine a bit just for the hell of it, video is below. Pretty impressive how smooth the whole engine is. Of course I've seen the video, and others, of a stack of wine glasses etc but wanted to try myself😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Replaced the ECU Temp Sensor (LS400 1996), took a hour or so taking my time and taking photos. I'll put together a guide and post it when I get chance.

When I put everything back (apart from the engine cover) and started the engine to check that the sensor didn't leak, I decided to put a wine glass with filled with some water on top of the inlet manifold and rev the engine a bit just for the hell of it, video is below. Pretty impressive how smooth the whole engine is. Of course I've seen the video, and others, of a stack of wine glasses etc but wanted to try myself😀

TwpeBExmQgSD8txNeovNmQ.MOV 15.91 MB · 1 download

You silly little boy..............now why didn`t I think of that?

I`d have used a plastic wine glass.

Jo

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You silly little boy..............now why didn`t I think of that?

I`d have used a plastic wine glass.

John have some class 😂😂

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Think of the mess if that had shattered too.

I didn’t just put the wine glass on and rev it🙄...............I did a dummy run holding the glass first, I may be a silly little boy but I’m not stupid🤪

2 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

I didn’t just put the wine glass on and rev it🙄...............I did a dummy run holding the glass first, I may be a silly little boy but I’m not stupid🤪

I`ve not yet met a stupid Lanc Paul.

You did  a wise move there but it`s worth remembering that there was no seismic movement on the day before Krakatoa blew!

If I hadn't put the engine cover back on I would have used a pint of lager and see what happened😀 I'm a lager drinker so it would be a more realistic test for me.......I must be getting bored now after doing all the work on the car!!

But having said that, I've had to order a new Aircon Compressor as mine has gone 'pete tongue'. It went a couple of weeks ago on the hottest day of the year leaving work, baking hot and the car didn't cool down - checked aircon was on and the light was flashing. First instinct was compressor had gone but did some checks. There is good pressure in the system so no leaks but the compressor wasn't kicking in, checked 12v power to the clutch when aircon engaged- ok there, disconnected clutch assy supply and applied 12v direct to the clutch assy and it didn't kick in. So conclusion is that it's either the clutch assembly or the compressor. It's easier to replace the whole thing, compressor with clutch assy and it should cure it (hopefully). New Denso compressor with clutch assy, AC Drier and expansion valve kit as well should arrive Weds this week from Rockauto in the US. Sounds silly but the USA is the best and cheapest place to get aircon stuff, I did look in the UK but couldn't find anywhere to get the stuff. The stuff was listed but was out of stock. I dread to think what the cost would be from Lexus.

• Like 1

Drop links replaced all round and they were rusted solid so I got a mechanic to do them! Some play in the Upper Control Arms (was some clunking at times) so ordered a pair from Amayama which will be an all in cost of £450 or so, when I actually get them could be another thing altogether! 213,500 on the clock so expect to pay out a little now and then!

• Like 4

On 6/6/2020 at 2:34 PM, shanra said:

so ordered a pair from Amayama

were these front or back or a mixture .............  mine lasted between 173k and about 205k before being replaced piecemeal .....  are yours all original at 213k miles?

.................. and they arrived with L or R penned on them but looked identical when taken out the plastic wrappers

Malc

22 hours ago, Malc said:

were these front or back or a mixture .............  mine lasted between 173k and about 205k before being replaced piecemeal .....  are yours all original at 213k miles?

.................. and they arrived with L or R penned on them but looked identical when taken out the plastic wrappers

Malc

They are upper front and look like the originals but really I don't know as the car was serviced by Lexus up to 172,000 but there was no paperwork!

• Like 1

Removed aircon compressor, fitted new compressor, drier and replaced the seals on the aircon line fittings etc. Also put back the stuff I had to take off to get the compressor out in the first place. Under tray, fan shroud and fan assy in order to lift the compressor out from the top.

• Like 1

Coupe weeks ago I found that 2 brackets under the rear bumper (tow hooks possibly?) are a bit rusty and one of the exhaust connections is quite rusty too, so I used wire brush as much as I could and then sprayed it with black primer (spray on rust) and then I bought a can of black matt spray that you can use on bbq's and stoves so it looks much nicer now. I hope it will stay there. Now I think of it, I probably should de-grease it first before spraying it! 

• 3 weeks later...

Phoned Lexus Glasgow to find out how much will they charge me for changing 1-off spark plug (other 5-off I did myself), it would cost me £93! 

Apparently manifold partially needs to be disassembled to get access to coil and spark plug!

So, what did I do to my Lexus? I opened a bonnet, removed the engine cover, looked at it, confirmed that it looks complicated, put the engine cover back on and closed the bonnet!

I need to do though Battery Health Check and also buy engine oil, oil filter and diff oil for the next service.

• Like 1

@Vlady sure it's a tricky plug to change but it's not impossible and £90+ is just silly to change one plug.

If you've done the other 5 then get back on to #6 and sort it.

I can't recall needing any special tools to get it out #correction: you will need a long allen key to get one of the manifold bolts out (or an extension).

The coil pack was tight against wiring, which needed easing loose to get just enough clearance.

• Thanks 1

Other spark plugs were fine, so I will be more upset if I brake a few plastic clips while doing the spark plug as if just leaving it alone! lol! I might give it another go.

This is embarrassing, I have change spark plugs on a few cars in my life so as my dad (who is still here, thank to lockdown) but this one is proving to be the hardest to change! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Phoned Lexus Glasgow to find out how much will they charge me for changing 1-off spark plug (other 5-off I did myself), it would cost me £93! 

Apparently manifold partially needs to be disassembled to get access to coil and spark plug!

So, what did I do to my Lexus? I opened a bonnet, removed the engine cover, looked at it, confirmed that it looks complicated, put the engine cover back on and closed the bonnet!

I need to do though Battery Health Check and also buy engine oil, oil filter and diff oil for the next service.

A really smart move Vlad.

Do not go there as £93 could be a really small amount to pay in the context of a big mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

@Vlady sure it's a tricky plug to change but it's not impossible and £90+ is just silly to change one plug.

If you've done the other 5 then get back on to #6 and sort it.

I can't recall needing any special tools to get it out #correction: you will need a long allen key to get one of the manifold bolts out (or an extension).

The coil pack was tight against wiring, which needed easing loose to get just enough clearance.

Oh, Lee.What have we done?

You said yes and I said no! Poor Vlad is now in  a quandry.

You`d better get up there matey !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Oh, Lee.What have we done?

You said yes and I said no! Poor Vlad is now in  a quandry.

You`d better get up there matey !

Hehe, each to his own eh...I love a challenge (or maybe I'm stubborn!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vlady said:

Is it strange that my first thought on seeing the price is that it sounds quite reasonable?

Has the Lexus brainwashing succeeded? :smile:

Having said that, considering the potential issues that might come up, I would personally pay the £93 and get it over with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

potential issues that might come up, I would personally pay the £93 and get it over with.

in all fairness it's only 30 mins Main Dealer labour plus the cost of one plug plus vat

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

in all fairness it's only 30 mins Main Dealer labour plus the cost of one plug plus vat

Malc

I already have a plug, I bought 6-off from Lexus a few months ago. I am still thinking about it, this is not a pressing job that needs to be done now, I can wait.

@Farqui sent me a photo of how engine needs to be to have an access to that plug, there is a significant amount of screws needs to be removed. As much satisfying it will be if I do it myself I have not yet decided on it. 🙂

I have another 1.5-2k until my next service and I need to do Battery health check as well which will be done at Lexus and all the service parts (oil, filter, trans.oil) I will be buying from Lexus as well, I will discuss with them if I can get a discount on changing one plug.

• Like 1