Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Silver does suit these cars very well, it doesn't age and hides dirt and imperfections very well.

I agree that silver or silver-like colours, e.g. Lexus’ Sonic Titanium, which I have had on my last three cars, have the ability to “hide” dirt better and longer than other colours, maybe because they reflect so broad a spectrum of light and shadow as to appear almost white or black according to the time of day and angle of vision.  Personally I like silver in most of its varieties and on its own merits, my only complaint being that it has become so common as to risk being boring. 

• Like 1

mine doesn't look like new at all ............  usefully worn and mellowed methinks :yes:

BUT yesterday evening I drove 51 miles ( each way ) to have supper with buddies ..... A2 and  A299 AND boy did she drive superbly comfortably and well .....  didn't much get to exceed the limit of course ......  BUT I just marvelled at how blissful she manouvres and zero shakes nor rattles ......... just waft like experience  ..  as has been the case for the past 27 years, well, 11 years to my knowledge anyway :wink3:

Wot a tremendous thing I did all those decades ago to have a Ls400 ......  to move me along in comfort and style whatever the need and occasion ..  where'er in the world she took me 

Malc

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

took her to a special ( so they tell me ) exhaust centre in Maidstone Kent today to get them to check out the front downpipe and box thingy ...  my indy can't weld it up anymore at MOT time to stop emissions issues reading poorly ( there's nowt left to weld he tells me ) .........  awaiting a call back when they have investigated who, what, where and how they can do a renew - permanent fix to this now 27 years young problem with the exhaust  ..........  the one and only problem I've ever had with the exhaust, but quite annually these days it seems ...  lost a couple of heat shields over the years where they have just about fallen off ...... age and miles eh ! ........... 238500 miles now

I'll let you know how it all goes 

Malc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc said:

.......... 238500 miles.

That’s very impressive, Malcolm.

On a good day that would get you to the Moon!.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Only Just Len, by  350 miles !

I have to admit I was being a bit average there, John.  ☹️

Fortunately for Malcolm, the Moon’s orbit is elliptical so it does get as close as 221,500 miles.

Mind you, anyone contemplating the journey shouldn’t leave it too long.  If I remember it correctly, the Moon is receding from the Earth at the rate of about 4cms a year.

And who can blame it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Washed, cleaned 2 new front tyres and through the MOT for another year 🙂 and again no advisories. I have noticed though the parking brake is getting low so that's a job before the next MOT to get it sorted out. 
Now for a bit more cleaning and polishing 😳 🤣 

MOT.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, Malc said:

latest situation I'm covering on the speedo not working section hereunder  .  going in to these guys Monday 6th June and back with me 8th ....  new fabrication of necessaries, using existing good cats  ......  £300+vat they tell me  .  let's see how it works out 

Malc

What did I do to my Lexus today? Rolled back into a small bollard... 🥺

Arrived at our hotel for my birthday break and reversed into a parking space. Rear wheels were on the edge of a drainage gulley and as I parked up we rolled back into the gulley and 'kissed' the bollard, right in the centre of the bumper. Difficult to see how much damage, looks like a bruise in the road dirt but felt quite a jolt..

Feeling a right bollard myself now. :shy::blushing:

Oh, well it is what it is and I'll deal with it on our return home. There's a chilled bottle of champagne calling my name right now 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Peter, you did nothing to your Lexus, the bollard did.  Nothing serious, I trust, so Happy Birthday, and I hope you enjoyed the bubbly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, Malc said:

all sorted today ..... 238.8k miles, newly fabricated front end box etc .............. she sounds as quiet as a mouse again doing it's V8 4ltr ROAR   (£300+vat)

Malc

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Smoke Silver and my Car's Beige colour are great for only needing to wash the Wheels regularly and Car twice yearly imo.  Just returned from driving her 1700 miles total in France over a ten day period. Very fortunate that I had the zero pressure A/C (after being left in France fourteen months) re-gassed by Kwik Fit.  May not be a recommended place to go, but it served us well for the duration and the temperature reached 32 degrees at the Guerlie Lake where Daughter decided to have a Swim.  I passed on that.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Filled her up today with E5 at  196.7p  at my local Morrisons     70.10 ltrs  £137.88   and done 420 miles  .......... leaving 10 trs from last fill-up so calculating she would have achieved 480 miles on a full 80.1 ltr tankfull

That's quite blo---ody marvellous considering I've been batting up and down the M11 and M2 these past days .........  don't you think ?

The E5 pump is on the Card Only thingy so for the first time I just used the same pump twice, one after 'tother ...........  no option to visit the kiosk to pay which would have been my preference however

....... quite laden ....... and trying to keep to 70mph and astute use of brakes and gently does it where sensible and appropriate tho' .......:thumbsup:

Malc

22 hours ago, Malc said:

and trying to keep to 70mph and astute use of brakes and gently does it

reckon that's 27.25 mpg  ..  took a while to work it all out ..  my abacus is sometimes challenged 

Malc

• 4 months later...

A bit of prep for the forthcoming MoT on my LS400:

IMG_3508.thumb.JPG.dd8253bca629e389b397931ef61c6246.JPG

Changed all four wheels and tyres to a better set with matching Dunlops. I thought this one might be past it.....

IMG_3509.thumb.JPG.f48283a06f0dd6a23749892b40e316b5.JPG

It split like that all the way round when standing this summer.

Treated it to a quick clean, as it had moss and the odd plant growing in the gaps:

IMG_3513.thumb.JPG.9a3f99246902f177014c2d0525dc5012.JPG

It's going in later this week once my son's Yaris has had its own MoT. Fingers crossed.......

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, Malc1 said:

keep us up to speed please 

Malc

Verdict after a pre-MoT check - not too bad, needs a bit of welding and attention to the rear brakes. No issue with the exhaust or emissions. Will have a chat with them on Monday, but definitely worth persevering with, the days of going out and buying a cheap, interesting, random 3rd car seem to have gone (and whatever I might buy is still likely to need work before too long).

• Like 2

I got to drive my rear wheel drive behemoth on the M11/M25/A127 on Sunday evening in up to 4" of snow and apart from a few slight sideways moments she handled very well.
Smooth and controlled (ie. THINK before you do ANYTHING!!) is how it's done.
I was expecting her to be like my S320CDI which spent the entire time with Traction Control interfering (even when supposedly switched off), but she was very good.
Not as good as my Honda Legends of course but then they were front wheel drive and that is always easier in the snow.
When we got home my better half asked me why I didn't use snow mode and I admitted I had completely forgotten about it. 🤣

The only problems were caused by the usual dickheads tailgating and braking constantly.
I watched one idiot on the M25 who decided at the last minute that he wanted to turn onto the A12 slip road from lane 2 so he swerved violently and did at least three full spins before he gently bumped the grass verge facing the wrong way up the hard shoulder.
On the A127 I passed a super slow car (10Mph, I was doing 25-30Mph) and pulled gently back over to get a tailgating van off my backside.
The van driver then floored it, passed me, lost control and scraped along the central reservation crash barrier for at least 100 yards before he stopped. I left him to it.
So many morons, so few bullets!! <sigh>

• Like 4

Considered moving the car a bit but being as its completely frozen  🥶 over I thought I will just leave it be. I have the c-tek Battery thingy plugged in and it has fresh antifreeze etc and screen wash so its taking no hurt as they say. I will start it and go for a run tomorrow as its supposed to get a bit warmer by then 😁

Frosty.jpg

Sorted!

image.thumb.png.09db94c171fd0806bc6327787b02086f.png

Looks like I did a touch under 2,000 miles in its last year on the road, more than I'd thought.

Hoping to get it back later this week, then plan out a list of maintenance/repair/improvement works to tackle as and when funds permit.

• Like 1

4½ L of windshield washer fluid. Good to minus 10 Celsius; in winter we have 10 - 15 plus at night. Now 23° C. Happy not to live in the cold north anymore.

Super Shell 98 is down to 1.55€. Electricity at night almost down to normal, before the panic started.