Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H Buying Advice - what version

21 minutes ago, Lost it said:

Tyre cracking wouldn't be a warranty failure, it's what tyres do and unless it is through to the inner braiding it's not an MOT issue either, presumably would have been cracked in June when you got the vehicle, would have expected that it would have been visible during inspection?.

So personally I think unless they are really going to push the boat out, you have bought a 2nd hand vehicle with normal wear and tear features for a car of that age. Never seen a warranty that covered wear items the seller had no control over. And the fact you have covered them with tyre "enhancer" probably wouldn't help either. Wonder what the MSDS sheet says for the tyre cleaner? Besides petroleum distillates at up to 30 BV?

Never understood why people think spraying petroleum based products onto essentially rubber tyres is a good thing...

You may well be correct, I wish I had spotted it when i inspected it prior to purchase, the pouring rain did not help! Just annoying to buy a Lexus approved used car and immediately have to look for a new tyre after 200 miles use.

I perhaps mistakenly thought the Tyre foam I used helps prevent cracking: Made by Armorall, they claim "Penetrates to guard against the elements which crack and fade tyre sidewalls" https://www.my-sds.co.uk/Admin/ViewDocument.aspx?SDSNo=17&headingID=1&MasterCompanyID=347&primaryReportId=0

I'm not a chemist, but I thought these products were sold to "beautify" the tyre wall. Not protect it. Putting a pretroleum product on a tyre wall cannot be good for it, but I might be completely wrong.. The "olden days" if you like we would use tyre paint but these products are quick to suit the "must have it now" lifestyle we seem to have grown into.

Anything that makes the tyre slippery (and it does, the son of a friend of mine mistakenly put some on his scooter tyres a while ago, he lost control the next corner, luckily he was barely moving) has to be effecting the tyre chemistry?

Far as I'm aware it's not "elements that crack and fade the tyre". It's good old UV radiation from my understanding. Because they don't crack on the side of the tyre that see's no sun, and presumably these "elements" if they exist are on the inside of the tyre as well? I have to change my wife's tyres not because they are worn out, it's because they crack on the outside when they get old. And have been in the sun as her parking spot faces east/west.

16 minutes ago, Lost it said:

I'm not a chemist, but I thought these products were sold to "beautify" the tyre wall. Not protect it. Putting a pretroleum product on a tyre wall cannot be good for it, but I might be completely wrong.. The "olden days" if you like we would use tyre paint but these products are quick to suit the "must have it now" lifestyle we seem to have grown into.

Anything that makes the tyre slippery (and it does, the son of a friend of mine mistakenly put some on his scooter tyres a while ago, he lost control the next corner, luckily he was barely moving) has to be effecting the tyre chemistry?

Far as I'm aware it's not "elements that crack and fade the tyre". It's good old UV radiation from my understanding. Because they don't crack on the side of the tyre that see's no sun, and presumably these "elements" if they exist are on the inside of the tyre as well? I have to change my wife's tyres not because they are worn out, it's because they crack on the outside when they get old. And have been in the sun as her parking spot faces east/west.

I am old enough to have used Tyrewall black on tyres back in the 80's 🙄

I replaced all 5 tyres on my Landrover Defender last year, they are BF Goodrich mud terrains and had tons of tread left, despite doing 60,000 miles in 10 years due to sidewall cracking.

i see some products are advertised as giving UV protection to reduce cracking (though as you say not petroleum based), think I will look into it as I tend to cover low mileages per year as my travel is spread over 2 cars and 4 motorbikes.

My first bout of bowel cancer in 2013 I put my Honda VFR Vtec in my shed, under a soft cover, on stands so the tyres weren't on the floor before I went in for the op thinking/believing what they told me about being fit for work again after a couple of months. It had Dunlop RoadSmart 2's on that had been fitted about 6 months before and had done only 1500 miles. Almost a year later when my core strength was up to it, I went to the shed, uncovered the bike, started going though the usual steps, Battery on charge, check the lube, operation of levers, lights etc. When I came to check the tyre pressures the front tyre had cracked in the grooves, right at the base of the grooves, the only bit I hadn't "tyre blacked" before I put it away. The rear was as good as it was when I put it in there, because I had tyre blacked the whole of the tyre (I know you aren't supposed to but I wouldn't have been trying for knee down on my first outing). Now this was under cover, not in any UV light as such, although it did get quite warm in the shed in 2013, I was shocked to see the tyre in so bad a state. Straight down to my bike tyre man for a new pair of shoes on it... Put a dent in my "Bike pounds" account. 

4 hours ago, Lost it said:

My first bout of bowel cancer in 2013 I put my Honda VFR Vtec in my shed, under a soft cover, on stands so the tyres weren't on the floor before I went in for the op thinking/believing what they told me about being fit for work again after a couple of months. It had Dunlop RoadSmart 2's on that had been fitted about 6 months before and had done only 1500 miles. Almost a year later when my core strength was up to it, I went to the shed, uncovered the bike, started going though the usual steps, battery on charge, check the lube, operation of levers, lights etc. When I came to check the tyre pressures the front tyre had cracked in the grooves, right at the base of the grooves, the only bit I hadn't "tyre blacked" before I put it away. The rear was as good as it was when I put it in there, because I had tyre blacked the whole of the tyre (I know you aren't supposed to but I wouldn't have been trying for knee down on my first outing). Now this was under cover, not in any UV light as such, although it did get quite warm in the shed in 2013, I was shocked to see the tyre in so bad a state. Straight down to my bike tyre man for a new pair of shoes on it... Put a dent in my "Bike pounds" account. 

I cut back on bike usage during chemo, most of my bikes are kickstart, which I struggled with. my BMW has both electric and kickstart so managed to use it a bit during my treatment. I would guess that the Avon Safety Mileage tyres on my 1954 Matchless are about 20 years old and have no cracks..... though I probably should think of getting a new set... your Dunlops did not last long sitting, perhaps modern grippy tyres are more prone to cracking.

56685685_2183951391651757_4080136867259875328_o.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links