Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 battery drain...yet again

mw430

After I took the jack from the boot to raise the car to check into an O2 sensor problem I didn't close the lid completely.

7 hours later the Battery was down to 6V, but it may have been low before.

After recharging it I tested the current drain with everything off and the car unlocked. It was fluctuating between 0.83 and 0.87A, so something was varying the current.

Using 0.85A every hour over a weekend would take its toll on this standard capacity two-year-old Toyota Battery. After 4 days without driving I'd never been able to guarantee it'd start , either with the original or new Battery. I never checked why as it seemed an inherent characteristic worldwide so I lived with it...but now I'm interested.

Removing fuses one by one and only possibly finding what's happening isn't very appealing, so, did anyone come to a definitive solution?

I thought there have been reports of the stereo amplifier developing a fault and causing the Battery to drain, and others stating a fault with the automatic light switch/circuit.

Certainly worth turning the lights to off, to see if that makes a difference and then pulling the stereo fuse(s).

Having spent all my working life as first a maintenance electrician, then a maintenance telephone engineer on BT and now repairing computers for a living, I can say that there are no shortcuts to fault-finding. You need to do the hard work and diagnose things properly - on the upside it does give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside when you find and fix the fault.

There are plenty of Youtube videos out there on how to find a parasitic drain, this is just one of them:

• Like 1