Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid reset for better fuel economy

I read on the forum, somewhere, about a way of resetting the hybrid system that  achieves better fuel economy but have searched and searched and now cannot find the post.  Could somebody point me in the right direction and also confirm if it works on the RX450H as well as the older versions of the RX.  Thanks in anticipation,

Hi, are you sure it exists? Why would they manufacture such a system that you have to reset it to get better economy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I know it doesn't "improve economy" but simply relearns your driving style. If you've been driving it like you stole it for a month or two your economy will be right down so if you reset it and then drive like Miss Daisy, the system will learn that style so your economy will be better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry7 said:

I read on the forum, somewhere, about a way of resetting the hybrid system that  achieves better fuel economy but have searched and searched and now cannot find the post.  Could somebody point me in the right direction and also confirm if it works on the RX450H as well as the older versions of the RX.  Thanks in anticipation,

The system can be reset by disconnecting the 12 volt Battery for a short period, but as others have pointed out the effects "if any" would depend on what it has learned from you previously. The improvement "if any" would also be short lived as the system quickly relearns your driving style.

John.

On the 400h, disconnecting the Battery can cause issues with the idle speed of the engine and it not shutting down to go into EV mode. If this happens there is an ISC learning procedure that has to be performed. Therefore I'd not recommend disconnecting the Battery without good reason.

Not an issue on the RX450h though.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, seahamcw said:

Do not ffs disconnect the 12v battery. To reset you have to get Lexus to do it.  Disconnecting battery will upset all the settings 

I think that is a bit dramatic. Many people have had batteries fail and had to charge/replace them without Lexus being involved. There are easy procedures for initialising the windows/sunroof/power tailgate, and on a 400h if you notice the engine not shutting down as often as normal then a quick google for ISC learning will give you that procedure too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my Battery and disconnected it on several occasions. It does not cause any significant issues. Reset your power windows/moon roof if applicable instructions in car manual. Then if you wish to do so perform ISC learning to maximise fuel efficiency.

Lexus service team do not need to be involved unless you wish them to be.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If what you want to do is reset the miles per gallon on your RX400, as in the average fuel consumption, all you have to do is go into the energy monitor, click consumption and click reset. Done, MPG now reset to 0.0

• Thanks 1