Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Carplay for Lexus NX

Hi there,

It looks like our american friends they received the update for apple Carplay! 

They can do it without the dealer. I have a NX300 2018 year and wondering if this update will work with European Lexus's.

Here is a full topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-models-2015-present/878189-lexus-enform-2-0-to-update-with-apple-carplay-15.html

And here you can download the update for your NX: https://www.intrustech.com/entune3carplay/

If someones wanna try, would be perfect. I am outside the country, so I can't for now.

1 hour ago, bartolini9 said:

Hi there,

It looks like our american friends they received the update for Apple Carplay! 

They can do it without the dealer. I have a NX300 2018 year and wondering if this update will work with European Lexus's.

Here is a full topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-models-2015-present/878189-lexus-enform-2-0-to-update-with-apple-carplay-15.html

And here you can download the update for your NX: https://www.intrustech.com/entune3carplay/

If someones wanna try, would be perfect. I am outside the country, so I can't for now.

Enform is USA and not available uk as far as I know. So unlikely to work on uk/european systems and subsequently may corrupt your system.

I am not quite sure if it will corrupt the system. I am only interested to have apple Carplay. This is not about to update Enform. Enform it's a built-in app only. This update is for head unit, it means for whole multimedia system.

I talked to Polish Lexus dealer and still they are "talking" , if european Lexus division will get the same like US part.

The headunit and nav systems are different in different regions. The NX uses Panasonic, Pioneer, or Fujitsu Ten stereo systems - multiple different part codes for each manufacturer. You cannot use US firmware on a UK unit.

1522134075_ScreenShot2019-05-07at22_41_13.thumb.png.7540b309f42967013e2618eb3916453a.png

930926641_ScreenShot2019-05-07at22_40_48.thumb.png.fa30e213adc580bc9202d2644c2c5ba7.png

10 hours ago, bartolini9 said:

Thanks. I hope they will release an update also for Europe like they did for US. 

But it's Lexus. You never know what they are thinking.

Or how much they will charge you...

Given Mazda UK charged customers £350 for fitting AC and AA to 2014 cars onwards I suspect if Lexus ever sort their act out they may follow Mazda’s prices.  But you never know with Lexus.

For info Mazda changed the USB module and ran two new cables from the module to the back of the screen. Existing cables were left in the car. Required a large software update too.  Took about 1-2 hours in total depending on the fitter.

• 1 month later...

I really hate how they are handling this. why is it that only the North American markets get apple CarPlay while we ( the **** rest of the world ) get left behind for buying a car early this is so **** infuriating. **** Lexus and their stupid screen that only provides me the ability to see my album art. Have a good **** day.

• 3 months later...

has anyone tried doing this for a 2015 NX 300h?  I just got back from the dealer (in the US) and they said it will only work for 2018 and beyond.  I am really hoping as I can get a great deal from the dealer on a 2015 w low mileage and pristine interior and exterior.  Just really want apple carplay.

I fully admit to being behind the times with tech, so am hoping somebody can tell me why having apple CarPlay will be such a big step forwards.

Having a different sat-nav I can understand, although I find the standard version fine - it's certainly never let me down. Other than that, what are the benefits? I can stream Spotify to the car via Bluetooth and text messages come through. What else would I get with CarPlay and of what additional use will it be when driving? I must be missing something, but what?

• Like 1

Car play means that you are not restricted to using the car built-in systems. It allows you to use a satnav system of your choice such as Google Maps or Waze which offer more customisation options and are generally more accurate (you don't have to pay for map updates) and respond quicker to traffic conditions. Also you need to consider that, with AA or CP integration, you do not need to spent additional money for a built-in system if your car does not come with one by default.

In addition, you can use Google Assistant handsfree and you can control Spotify without having to touch your phone (other music apps are available! ;-))

It's all about choice and functionality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I notice that there are now instructions/details on the Lexus-tech website (*) for adding CarPlay to 17CY non-navigation systems (Pioneer systems). This appears to match the details found on the Spanish Lexus website that stated non nav systems would get updates from Dec 2019 and systems with Nav (Panasonic) would get it from April 2020. (For NX, UX and ES manufactured after Sept 2017)

Although the instructions look pretty easy to follow, it looks like it is designed for dealers to install as it mentions registering the upgrade on the warranty.  No use to me as I have a Panasonic system with Nav. It does sound encouraging though. 

(*) subscription needed to see the documents. 3€ for an hour. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, Marsdenlad said:

Just wanted to let people know I've managed to find a solution.

Got a BeatSonic unit from USA.

Now....stop playing with us. Where did you get the actual unit from and how much? And what outfit did you get the install done at?

My Mrs would give her right arm for CarPlay after seeing how good it is in my new car. 

https://www.beatsonicusa.com

This is where I purchased it from (there are two versions depending if you have sat nav installed on your Lexus or not). 

They had a $100 discount when I ordered (it was $499)

Costs:
£436 = ($499 in GBP)
£110 = Import Duty
£135 = Installation Charge

£681

Lexus Newcastle only do authorised Lexus work but they recommended the Auto Electricians they use for outsourced work.

9 minutes ago, Marsdenlad said:

https://www.beatsonicusa.com

This is where I purchased it from (there are two versions depending if you have sat nav installed on your Lexus or not). 

They had a $100 discount when I ordered (it was $499)

Costs:
£436 = ($499 in GBP)
£110 = Import Duty
£135 = Installation Charge

£681

Lexus Newcastle only do authorised Lexus work but they recommended the Auto Electricians they use for outsourced work.

Thanks. I've just found it on the UK site, looks really good. 

Is it the actual CarPlay mirroring or identical phone mirroring and you see all icons on screen that are on your phone?

Can you control the phone functions through the Lexus screen with the touchpad/mouse?

And did you have to buy the extra cable as well as the core unit? 

And......are you happy with it? 

Thanks!!

Yes it's the actual CarPlay mirroring.

Yes I can control phone functions through the touchpad (through CarPlay not the Lexus system)

I ordered a 3 mtr Mophie usb – Lightening cable off the apple site. I got them to use it and got them to chase the cable into the centre console. Radio, Podcasts and music all through Car Play. Once you get used to apple maps using siri there's no turning back.

The phone charges using the built-in centre console charger plate.

I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...